Low Standard Tuning

Captain Simian

Reaction score
I can't remember what thread this was posted on, but a couple of months ago someone posted about stringing up a baritone uke and octave lower than regular C tuning. The sound clips they posted sounded great and I was definitely intrigued. Over the weekend I pulled out an Eastwood electric tenor guitar that I've had for ages but have never really played all that much. When I was tuning her up the E string broke. When I went looking to see if I might have an E string hiding in my string box, I discovered that I had a new set of D'Addario NYXL's. I then strung the tenor up with the 4 low strings and tuned her up GCEA. I ended up playing her for a couple of hours, I was just having too much fun playing along with some YouTube videos. I think I'm going to string up my bari uke the same way. Once I can get figure out why the bridge pickup isn't working I'll figure out a way to record and post some sound samples.

Last edited:
I've got my bari strung GCEA, low G, Living Waters.

Ah - that was me that posted about Perry's Octave Low Strings. Sounds like you had a marvelous time with the tenor guitar.

I'm still enjoying Perry's strings. I have three Bari's: A Favilla, an Ohana 70RB, and an old Conrad. I've tried them on all three of them. The Conrad can't handle them (but that's a knock on the uke not the strings). They sound delightful on the Favi, but everything sounds good on it. So I've settled with them now on the Ohana. That way I have the Favi as my main player with the Ohana as a close 2nd.

I've got my bari strung GCEA, low G, Living Waters.
I've not tried the Living Water set. I assume none of them are wound. Did you have to do any adjustment to your uke to string them?

I have tried both Guadalupe and Perry's Octave set. I prefer Perry's but the Guad's are louder.

I have a Fernandes ZO-3 electric guitar tuned ADGCEA and I love it!

String set used:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Slinky 8-String Electric Guitar Strings (2624). I used the 6 strings (8th to 3rd) to tune up to ADGCEA.
A - .080
D- .064
G - 046
C - .034
E - .024
A - .016

Tension is fairly light, but not loose.

On 4-string steel string tenor guitars I have found that using the EADG strings of steel string guitar sets would tune to octave GCEA.
As do EADG strings out of classical guitar sets tune to octave GCEA on baritone ukuleles.

And also as a FYI, using GUITAR strings:

Guitar ADGB = DGBE on Tenor and Baritone ukuleles
Guitar EADG = octave GCEA on Baritone ukuleles
Guitar DGBE = standard GCEA on Soprano, Concert and Tenors (maybe Baritone too, but I don't think standard GCEA works well for Baritones).

Top Bottom