Pizza Anyone? 🍕

All these posts prompted me to make a pizza tonight. Being lactose intolerant, and need to keep my sodium intake under control, I made my own sausage; 1/2 lb each of ground chicken breast and thighs mixed with fennel, sage, onion and garlic powder, touch of red chili flakes, pepper, basil and dried ground lime. Sautéd it into small chunks.

Instead of using tomato sauce, I made a pesto with fresh basil, pine nuts, vegan parmesan, extra virgin olive oil, lots of garlic, pepper and a splash of lemon juice. Bought vegan mozzarella shreds, ready cooked 12" organic thin low sodium pizza crust and orange grape tomatoes. The main sodium is in the two vegan cheeses.

I spread the pesto on the dough, crumbled the chicken sausage next, cut the tomatoes in half and scattered them around, spread a little vegan parmesan (photo 1), then spread the vegan mozzarella over all (photo 2). Preheated the oven to 500 degrees and cooked it for about 10 minutes, when I was so anxious to eat, I went for it (photo 3), it could have cooked a few more minutes, but it still tasted so GOOD. There were two crusts, so the next one I'll cook longer.

pizza 1 600.jpegPizza 2.jpgPizza 3.jpg

Last edited:
What's your opinion on cauliflower pizza dough?

Pizza really is life. LOL And I say this as a mostly vegan who's allergic to wheat (although not so much Italian wheat -- dramatically less gluten than American wheat), dairy, and tomatoes. It can be done, though! It's an amazing platform for all kinds of creativity.

The summer between my sophomore and junior year in college, I worked at a Chicago-style place in my (then) home town -- a family of Chi-town expats who were working off family recipes. KILLAH! They also made a terrific thin crust, and the calzone was so good that I stayed at home and got them to deliver me one. :)

(You want to talk hot? Standing next to an oven in a Texas summer, then getting in a hot car to deliver it. I spent most of my days in temps somewhere north of 130. LOL But nobody ever complained about cold pizza. LOL)

Honestly, though, I've had terrific pizza all over the world, including in Italy, where it's nothing even vaguely like American pizza.

I'm also a fourth generation NYC kid, and really feel like some of the best is there -- but just because it's IN New York doesn't mean it's any good. There's also probably more garbage pizza per capita there than anywhere else. It wasn't always like that, but hey, not-so-good stuff has proliferated everywhere, right?

So I had to laugh when I saw this article, The Man Who Spent $1,244.22 on 464 Slices of New York Pizza Explains What He Learned.

Is the Ooni pizza oven worth it?
It's an extravagance. It's a toy. It's a great toy, and it's a lot of fun, but you definitely don't need it. I can't answer for you if you'd use and enjoy it enough to be worth it.

I love mine and I use every week, mostly (but not exclusively) for pizza-ish things. I enjoy the process of making the pizza as much as I enjoy eating it. I haven't done the math, but I just did the math, and I could order in pizza 12 times for the list cost of my 16" Ooni, and ingredients are less than $5 a pie, so I could argue it's paying for itself. On the other hand, I make more pizza than I ought to just because I have it, and I definitely make more than I was ordering in.

Could I do this without the Ooni? Yup. Choosing a different recipe, I could (and I did) make pizza-ish things in the home oven. It's not quite as much fun.

IMG_3452.jpeg

--Rob

It's an extravagance. It's a toy. It's a great toy, and it's a lot of fun, but you definitely don't need it. I can't answer for you if you'd use and enjoy it enough to be worth it.

I love mine and I use every week, mostly (but not exclusively) for pizza-ish things. I enjoy the process of making the pizza as much as I enjoy eating it. I haven't done the math, but I just did the math, and I could order in pizza 12 times for the list cost of my 16" Ooni, and ingredients are less than $5 a pie, so I could argue it's paying for itself. On the other hand, I make more pizza than I ought to just because I have it, and I definitely make more than I was ordering in.

Could I do this without the Ooni? Yup. Choosing a different recipe, I could (and I did) make pizza-ish things in the home oven. It's not quite as much fun.

View attachment 147424

--Rob
Thank you for the quick feedback! I think I’m going for it haha because why not. We can’t put a price on having fun.

What's your opinion on cauliflower pizza dough?

I found making it to be onerous and unpredictable, but some commercial ones are really good!

You have to be careful though, because some of them load up all kinds of garbage that can cause even more trouble than gluten.

My favorite is Cali'flour. They make a bunch of different flavors, offer some vegan options, all keto and low inflammation, and will deliver right to you for very reasonable prices. Free shipping over $75, and they freeze great.

For a GF/anti-inflammatory diet household, they're a gift from heaven, but also just plain tasty. I've served some custom creations to company, and gotten raves.

You know how nobody will mistake a Flea or Fluke ukulele for wood, but it's kind of quirky and endearing as its own thing? Same here. Nobody's going to say it's actually BETTER than a classic gluten-laden crust, but some people will prefer it as its own thing.

Certainly a nice thing to have handy. Throw on some sauce (I mostly do pesto) and fresh toppings, and you're in business in less time than you can get delivery.

Tonight's dinner. Homemade dough, homemade sauce, grilled red peppers and onion, Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmesan and veggie pepperoni.

Attachments

• DSC_0192c.JPG
    DSC_0192c.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0546.JPG
    DSC_0546.JPG
    343.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0550.JPG
    DSC_0550.JPG
    442.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0558.JPG
    DSC_0558.JPG
    501.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0563.JPG
    DSC_0563.JPG
    526 KB · Views: 10
Pizza really is life. LOL And I say this as a mostly vegan who's allergic to wheat (although not so much Italian wheat -- dramatically less gluten than American wheat), dairy, and tomatoes. It can be done, though! It's an amazing platform for all kinds of creativity…

Potato crust pizza:

Sweet potato crust:

Potato skin pizza:

Last edited:
I'm also a fourth generation NYC kid, and really feel like some of the best is there -- but just because it's IN New York doesn't mean it's any good. There's also probably more garbage pizza per capita there than anywhere else. It wasn't always like that, but hey, not-so-good stuff has proliferated everywhere, right?
Can relate to this! Remember all the arguments about which John’s is the ORIGINAL John’s?

I never tried a potato crust pizza before, but in Rome, there was a delicious Potato pizza. It looked like sliced onions stacked up filling the entire sheet pan and had a cheese covering. One bite in revealed potatoes. It was unexpectedly delicious.

Long since done with frozen pizzas. This is the first "grocery" crust I like. They come 2 in a package, not frozen. You supply the sauce, herbs, and toppings. (One can of sauce covers 2 crusts. I use the pan to transfer it to a stone.)
CSMOlOnT - Extra sausage, extra mozzarella!

Attachments

• Mia Pizza Crusts.JPG
    Mia Pizza Crusts.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 200F deg in Center.JPG
    200F deg in Center.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I tend towards thinner crust, but I can appreciate most any pizza.

I used to make my own with from-scratch sauce and dough.

But I confess now I often grab a frozen Red Baron cheese pizza and dress it up one of three ways:

1. Add steamed broccoli and some sharp cheddar

2. Add anchovies

3. Add some combo of mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, artichoke hearts, thin sliced marinated cucumber, chopped olives and fresh mozarella.

Top Bottom