UPDATE: 19" scale baritone on a budget?

The Kamaka HF3L is a long neck tenor uke 19” scale and can be tuned down like a Baritone. Kamaka said that they used it as a baritone uke just in their family for years before making it available to the public for sale. I have one and have Worth brown tenor strings on it and just tune it to baritone tuning and it works great. I like the sound and playability of it better than either one of the baritones that I own.
I put GCEA octave strings (meant for baritone) on mine and it sounds incredible.

Take a look at the KALA tenor xl. It has a 19” scale and the body size is between a tenor and baritone.

UPDATE:

Okay, this has been solved. I want to really thank everyone for their advice, suggestions and offers.

In addition to the fine offers I got on the thread, a couple of folks messaged me with some very nice offers as well.

You people are pure gold.

However, I stumbled into a deal I could not pass up. FB Marketplace showed me a listing for an old Harmony baritone, and the stars aligned to make it happen.

It was a couple of hours away from me in Florida, but as it happens, my kid was passing through the town in was at on their way to moving to another state and stopping by to see me tomorrow morning. They just picked it up for me.

The other twist of fate is that the owner had it stored in a beach condo they hadn't been in since last December. They were coming back to the condo just today (!)

Anyway, I'll have it in hand tomorrow. The seller's mother bought it new, she thinks in the late 50s.

It needs work. A good cleaning, new strings and re-attaching the nut at least.

The best part: it was $25.

The last uke I bought a few months back was a vintage Silvertone soprano for $30.

Pretty good deals. Thanks again, everyone. Very glad to have an old Harmony bari again.

Pics below:
Screenshot_20240314-130816_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20240314-130824_Facebook.jpg

Congratulations on the Harmony, that should serve you very well.

Thank you for that update, I’m pleased it turned out well for you.

Sometimes the stars do line-up / fate takes a hand. I think that that old Baritone has found a good home for restoration and use, and you’ve found an instrument to give you joy at a price that was well within budget. Could there ever be a happier ending than that? 🙂

Top Bottom