UpDate (purchased): Aquila "Flat" Bass Strings available in US.

WebParrot (s2)

Wisconsin, U.S.A.
UU VIP
Reaction score
[ See also my update comment -#4 below]

Strings By Mail now has the new Aquila Bass strings available through their website. The link will take you to them, with a brief description. Their $3.95 US shipping is more reasonable than shipping from Italy !! (Approximately 28 Euro)

[This isn't an affiliate link... I'm not promoting the sale, nor receiving anything in return for sharing the link]

BTW, Strings By Mail offered Military/Veteran discounts. Inquire via Contact Us link on their website. Amount might offset shipping/sales tax : -)

Last edited:
Sound is very subjective. I find them too metallic sounding for my liking.

Last edited:
ORDERED...
I decided to try a set on my fretless. I'll try them for a few weeks and I they're not for me I'll offer them up as "used" at a discount : -)
Send me a "private conversation" note if you'd be interested in re-purchasing and I'll keep you posted.

The advertised scale is 18"to 21" and the scale of my bass is 20.5"

FWIW, I am NOT an experienced bassist, but a beginning enthusiast. That means my decision will be completely subjective either like or dislike without blow by blow (or pluck by pluck) objective analysis!.

PS the Veterans' discount at Strings By Mail is 10%

ORDERED...
I decided to try a set on my fretless. I'll try them for a few weeks and I they're not for me I'll offer them up as "used" at a discount : -)
Send me a "private conversation" note if you'd be interested in re-purchasing and I'll keep you posted.

The advertised scale is 18"to 21" and the scale of my bass is 20.5"

FWIW, I am NOT an experienced bassist, but a beginning enthusiast. That means my decision will be completely subjective either like or dislike without blow by blow (or pluck by pluck) objective analysis!.

PS the Veterans' discount at Strings By Mail is 10%
Good luck, what strings are on your fretless now?

Road Toad Pahoehoe … they are the stock strings on the Kala Striped Ebony fretless
You'll have to mess with the setup, action will be high for wound strings...the nut will have extra room, might need a new one.

IMHO, Pahoehoes on a fretless is a great setup. Thunderbrowns would be an easier switch, if you don't like the Pahoehoes. I tried switching from wound to Thunderbrowns on a Journeyman, I'm not much of a tweaker, didn't seem worthwhile to me, I changed them back and sold it.

You'll have to mess with the setup, action will be high for wound strings...the nut will have extra room, might need a new one.
Thanks.. appreciate your insight/experience.

FWIW, I've already ordered the Kala 'factory' nut that they recommend for the round wounds a their flats (I have one on a fretted bass that uses the Galli Flats.) Before ordering I compared the diameter of pahoehoes' with the Flat Spirals. The measurements for the Flats are from Mimmo's website, and the pahoehoes' are from my measurements at the nut. Nowhere are the pahoehoes' listed...apparently because gummy-strings stretch : -) In fact the thickness at the saddle (on mine) is thicker than at the nut. I figured mine have already optimally stretched, so easy enough to get a good comparison. Below is a screen shot from Aquila; I added the Pahoehoe (in red).

I didn't add the Galli measurements yet.
In the meantime they are: (from the package)
E=0.130" (3.3mm) A=0.100 (2.54mm) D=0.080 (2.03mm) G=0.600 (1.52mm)

Based on these numbers, I may still end up making my own nut!

Aquila Flat Spiral Bass String Diameters.png

Last edited:
Yeah, Thunder browns didn’t impress me. I like my Pahoehoes but you have to string them correctly. The video by Magnus really shows how to do it right and relatively easily.

I was at the recent Uke Fest here in Waikiki and I asked a rep from Kala, Kele, a couple questions about the value of my Kala solid body. Basically he agreed with how you guys valued it. We started talking about stringing the ubasses and I was really surprised that he knew Magnus and has actually played with him and admires his playing. Small world isn’t it.
A Hawaiian and a Swede grooving together.

hello guys, a few more recent information:

1) I modified just a little the way of the 1st G and 2nd D are made: they are now even more robust, they stretch less so no risk that the metal wire become loose (it is uncommon but with the fist prototypes it sometime happened)

2) I have found a solutions about the final portion of the string addressed to the head concerning the grey silk upon the string. With this solution and with 3 different sets we cover not not only the traditional kala bass ukulelele with scale 18 to 21 inches but also the wide range of the so called 'medium size basses' such as those of Tyler; our Shortbassone; the Goldtone models etc etc. of 23 to 25 inches. Then the traditional acoustic bass guitars in the range 30 up to 34 inches. In short: we cover all thew ranges now.

3) I have for all these models of the point 2) even the high C and the low B strings. So one can employ them on a 5 strings (with high C or low B) or also a 6 strings low B E ADG and high c.

It was an hard job guys but I was never alone: I need always thanks Sbassman and Karl Kaminski for their kind and free support
Mimmo (from this damn warm Italy)

hello guys, a few more recent information:

1) I modified just a little the way of the 1st G and 2nd D are made: they are now even more robust, they stretch less so no risk that the metal wire become loose (it is uncommon but with the fist prototypes it sometime happened)

2) I have found a solutions about the final portion of the string addressed to the head concerning the grey silk upon the string. With this solution and with 3 different sets we cover not not only the traditional kala bass ukulelele with scale 18 to 21 inches but also the wide range of the so called 'medium size basses' such as those of Tyler; our Shortbassone; the Goldtone models etc etc. of 23 to 25 inches. Then the traditional acoustic bass guitars in the range 30 up to 34 inches. In short: we cover all thew ranges now.

3) I have for all these models of the point 2) even the high C and the low B strings. So one can employ them on a 5 strings (with high C or low B) or also a 6 strings low B E ADG and high c.

It was an hard job guys but I was never alone: I need always thanks Sbassman and Karl Kaminski for their kind and free support
Mimmo (from this damn warm Italy)
Thanks for the additional information, Mimmo. Sounds like you've made some good improvements. Very helpful to know.

I'm expecting delivery today ( from "Strings by Mail" ). How can I find out if my new strings have the improvements?

@mimmo Are you saying that a low B string is available? I have not seen that and would be very interested in trying that on my 24" scale 5 string fretted. I had purchased the Thunderbrowns but they did not work for me. Too much movement of the E string caused unplayable fret buzz no mater how high I raised the action.

I contacted Aquila and the rep said they were happening but they have not replied with availability.
Please let me know if you have any update on obtaining a flat spiral B string.

Last edited:
Top Bottom