Unique Weissenborn style ukulele

rbeetsme

Reaction score
I have a very nice, one of a kind, custom built weissenborn ukulele. A copy of an Hawaiian guitar, think fretless acoustic lap steel. I don't remember who built it, one off, not likely to find another. It is 28", 19" scale from the nut to the bridge. This is a steel string fretless instrument meant to be played on your lap with a slide. It is a hollow body, has a pick-up, very decorative. Nice acoustic tone and volume. Currently tuned to open C (GCEG) great shape, very nice player, no issues. Comes with case. I value this gem at 600+, asking 495.00.

Attachments

• Uke card.jpg
    Uke card.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 56
  • front.jpeg
    front.jpeg
    359.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 3:4.jpeg
    3:4.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 39
  • back.jpeg
    back.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 37
  • side.jpeg
    side.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 42
  • pickup.jpeg
    pickup.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I believe the instrument is mahogany with a spruce top. Pickup has a 9 volt pre-amp with equalizer.

Wow, that's a beautiful, unique instrument. Looks to be very nicely made.
I can only look at the pics, but it looks more like a walnut back, and possibly a butternut top. That's a very common wood combo for lap dulcimers. I'm wondering if that's what you have here.

Wow, that's a beautiful, unique instrument. Looks to be very nicely made.
I can only look at the pics, but it looks more like a walnut back, and possibly a butternut top. That's a very common wood combo for lap dulcimers. I'm wondering if that's what you have here.
No, not a dulcimer. It’s an ukulele version of an Hawaiian guitar or weissenborn. I have it tuned to open C.

No, not a dulcimer. It’s an ukulele version of an Hawaiian guitar or weissenborn. I have it tuned to open C.
I know it's not a dulcimer....I have played dulcimer for many years, and am quite familiar with them. I'm sorry if my first comment wasn't clear, as to what I was trying to say. I'm just saying, as a lap instrument, its woods look like butternut and walnut, which are common to lap dulcimers. I'm just being observant (and hopefully helpful). To me, it doesn't look like spruce / mahogany, but I'm only guessing based on your pics. Good luck with your sale. It's definitely a lovely instrument. If I wasn't already loaded with other instruments, I'd give this some serious thought.

Top Bottom