Strap buttons...where to find wood, possibly koa, or other unique or premium buttons?

bunnyo

Reaction score
Hi all, I'll be getting a Martin c1k within the week (excited!). It doesn't come with strap buttons, but out of caution, I've decided to get some buttons. I think I'd like to find wood buttons, preferably koa, since the uke has such a subtle appearance. Then again, maybe something unique but complimentary would be nice.

where do you go to look for pretty or unique sound buttons? Ones that will last, but also have great style.

Thanking you in advance for your wealth of knowledge and help,

bunny 🐇

I have used old violin buttons. They are different and smaller than guitar buttons.
.2023-08-05 22.26.59.jpg2020-11-04 23.55.35.jpg

For my nicer ukes I use Stewmac, but always on the hunt for other options. I choose my buttons not to match the body wood, but to match the fretboard/bridge, or the binding, sometimes the tuners (not that you see them very much).

For my nicer ukes I use Stewmac, but always on the hunt for other options. I choose my buttons not to match the body wood, but to match the fretboard/bridge, or the binding, sometimes the tuners (not that you see them very much).

I will second rhiggies recommendation on the Waverly wood strap buttons. I have them on a few instruments and they are excellent

I used the violin pins because it's one thing to find nice buttons another is to find them the right size. I find all guitar buttons too big for a ukulele.

I do have however some smaller ebony buttons but with a visible screw. When using those I use a brass screw which I patinise

Hi all, I'll be getting a Martin c1k within the week (excited!). It doesn't come with strap buttons, but out of caution, I've decided to get some buttons. I think I'd like to find wood buttons, preferably koa, since the uke has such a subtle appearance. Then again, maybe something unique but complimentary would be nice.

where do you go to look for pretty or unique sound buttons? Ones that will last, but also have great style.

Thanking you in advance for your wealth of knowledge and help,

bunny 🐇
Are you sure you don’t want fossil mammoth tusk buttons? :eek::D

Is this the type you're using: https://fiddlershop.com/collections/violin-end-buttons

If so, do you cut it and embed a screw into it?

I'd love to use something like this, but am puzzled about how it attaches.
I have a reamer so I make a hole just like on a violin. I do however give them a bit of glue as well. I don't normally like a visible screw but Ifound some smaller ebony buttons I sometime use with a patinized brass screw(here on a mandolin)

2020-10-31 00.15.55.jpg

Is this the type you're using: https://fiddlershop.com/collections/violin-end-buttons

If so, do you cut it and embed a screw into it?

I'd love to use something like this, but am puzzled about how it attaches.
I have a couple of ukes with that type of end pin. They are tapered and require a hole drilled slightly smaller than the pin/button shank, then reamed with a tapered reamer to fit. I think most add a drop or two of glue to hold them in, but both mine are just pressed in by hand and never drop out.

Top Bottom