Tuning Machine Upgrades?

I think that the Schaller Grandtune are about as good as it gets.

If you want to go real fancy order custom set from Rodgers
Wow great find! I've been searching for someplace that carries Schaller ukulele tuners. I didn't have much luck with places within the United States.

I have found tuners with a large nut and washer that hold the tuner in on the front face, the nut sometimes backs off a touch allowing the washer to vibrate and buzz. You can check this by tapping the headstock near the washer, or the washer itself. If you hear a click you need to tighten the nut. Be careful not to tighten it too much. You can crack the headstock if you overtighten. I use an open end wrench they are usually thin enough that you don't have to loosen or remove the string.

Buzz from my fingers but not the tuners. I picked this set up a while back on Amazon as they are the look I wanted and the stock Grovers had one that seemed a bit loose to me. So far no issues and once strings settle they stay really close between tunings. No drilling required, fit the Grover holes almost perfect, but did have to put a couple of rounds of tape on the ferrules as they are wee bit smaller diameter. One thing I really like is that they are heavy, perhaps twice the weight of the Grovers. I like the heavy headstock feel on my baritone and might work on a tenor but might be too heavy for concert or soprano.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBG74XXW?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Back Headstock.jpgFront Headstock.jpg

Thanks for posting those pics! Until seeing this, I had no idea that the micro could be positioned so that it's not visible from the front. Pardon the silly question, but how exactly is it attached?
Simply unscrew on of the gear screws and attach micro in hole with longer screw provided. Blow up photo and see where it's attached to top left tuner.

I think there are two models, this is clip free and other uses clip.

Top Bottom