Tuning Machine Upgrades?

Olmeck

Reaction score
I’ve got open geared Grover tuners on my ukuleles and was thinking about upgrading them down the line. I was curious if I could upgrade to these closed gear tuners or if the mounting holes will prevent that (I know I would also need to make sure the measurements are a match).

If it’s not possible I’m hoping someone could provide me with suggestions on open gear tuning machine upgrade options.

Why do you think that closed tuners are an upgrade? The link you showed is for bass uke tuners so may be too heavy for regular ukes. Graphtech also has planetary tuners and I think there is discussion about them on UU

I’ve got open geared Grover tuners on my ukuleles and was thinking about upgrading them down the line. I was curious if I could upgrade to these closed gear tuners or if the mounting holes will prevent that (I know I would also need to make sure the measurements are a match).

If it’s not possible I’m hoping someone could provide me with suggestions on open gear tuning machine upgrade options.
Just to clarify. The tuners shown in the link (you provide) appear to be for Bass (i.e. UBass). Are you looking for bass or 'standards'?

Sorry for the confusion. Yes looking for standard tuner upgrades and didn’t realize those were for a bass. I assumed that closed tuners were an upgrade because that is what the manufacturers (K brands) use with their top of the line and special releases.

Edit: also doesn’t have to be closed geared but I guess just any sort of information pertaining to upgrading I’m interested in.

It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing from what brand/style you are upgrading! : -) You could start by providing some photos and maybe some current measures.

FWIW, nearly all of my "upgrades" have involved GOTOH UPT's because the style met my esthetic (no 'ears' for example!). I'm rarely concerned about the size of the post/stem or mounting holes. I'm make the necessary changes by routing out to a larger size, or plugging and re-drilling if necessary.

Sorry for the confusion. Yes looking for standard tuner upgrades and didn’t realize those were for a bass. I assumed that closed tuners were an upgrade because that is what the manufacturers (K brands) use with their top of the line and special releases.

Edit: also doesn’t have to be closed geared but I guess just any sort of information pertaining to upgrading I’m interested in.
I think that the Schaller Grandtune are about as good as it gets.

If you want to go real fancy order custom set from Rodgers

I'd just like to mention that Grover open geared tuners are good tuners. Unless you're looking for something very specific in the tuner swap, or there is something about your current Grover's that isn't working as designed, a tuner change won't necessarily be an upgrade, or produce any benefit.

I'd just like to mention that Grover open geared tuners are good tuners. Unless you're looking for something very specific in the tuner swap, or there is something about your current Grover's that isn't working as designed, a tuner change won't necessarily be an upgrade, or produce any benefit.
Thanks for the info. The reasoning stems from my G string tuner (Bari) sometimes buzzing and sometimes not. Can’t seem to nail down why it does and why sometimes I can temporarily “fix” it. I was thinking maybe a tuner upgrade would solve it for me.

Thanks for the info. The reasoning stems from my G string tuner (Bari) sometimes buzzing and sometimes not. Can’t seem to nail down why it does and why sometimes I can temporarily “fix” it. I was thinking maybe a tuner upgrade would solve it for me.
That's a bummer. I don't recall ever having a tuner buzz, but I'm sure it would drive me crazy if it did. I hope you get it sorted out.

That's a bummer. I don't recall ever having a tuner buzz, but I'm sure it would drive me crazy if it did. I hope you get it sorted out.
I should clarify I don’t think it’s necessarily the tuner that’s buzzing, but the buzz I hear when playing my G string is directly related to the tuner. If I apply pressure to the tuner after hearing the buzz it will disappear immediately. Sometimes a slight adjustment to the position of the uke while I’m playing also has the desired effect (gravity?). As I said hard to figure out but maybe I just need to bring it in to have it looked at. Minor inconvenience for now that I’m hoping doesn’t turn into something worse.

Grover tuners are very good tuners and are an upgrade from crappy Chinese tuners. I found when upgrading the cheap crappy Chinese tuners on my Ibanez tenor guitar, that nobody seemed to make a direct replacement.7EBF960D-1FB3-42F6-8B0B-14F2E2018513.jpeg2FA98E85-3183-4908-8242-B2A8ACFFED19.jpeg As I didn’t want an empty screw hole to show, I was able to find a set that lined up with the lower hole and covered the upper empty hole. I just needed to drill a new one to make them work. If my Ibanez came equipped with Grovers, I never would have replaced them…

Tuner holes are not standardized, unfortunately, even for different tuner models made by the same mfger...kinda ridiculous really.

I should clarify I don’t think it’s necessarily the tuner that’s buzzing, but the buzz I hear when playing my G string is directly related to the tuner. If I apply pressure to the tuner after hearing the buzz it will disappear immediately. Sometimes a slight adjustment to the position of the uke while I’m playing also has the desired effect (gravity?). As I said hard to figure out but maybe I just need to bring it in to have it looked at. Minor inconvenience for now that I’m hoping doesn’t turn into something worse.
I assume you‘ve tried tightening the mounting screws on that tuner. If so, and the buzz continues, then you may just have a defective tuner. Anything mechanical (especially something mass-produced) can fail. Grovers are the best open-geared tuners I’ve played, but stuff happens.

Having the uke checked might be a good idea in case the buzz is originating elsewhere and the tuner is where it presents itself.

I assume you‘ve tried tightening the mounting screws on that tuner. If so, and the buzz continues, then you may just have a defective tuner. Anything mechanical (especially something mass-produced) can fail. Grovers are the best open-geared tuners I’ve played, but stuff happens.

Having the uke checked might be a good idea in case the buzz is originating elsewhere and the tuner is where it presents itself.
One of the mounting screws was actually not fastenable so I had to break up a toothpick and place it in the hole so it could tighten. It remedied the issue and then it returned. All screws still tight when I rechecked.

Each tuning machine manufacturer should prominently disclose necessary headstock hole diameter under “specifications”.

A few months ago, I upgraded the low-end machine tuners that came with my Kraftex DIY kit with a set of “pull off” KoAloha friction tuners purchase from a UU member who had changed them out in favor of Gotohs.

Aside from a defect with the C string headstock hole (a crack / defect at the edge), the KoAlohas were a perfect fit for my uke’s headstock holes which I learned are 21/64th of an inch diameter. Of course, headstock thickness is also a factor.

I love the friction tuners as compared to the originals.

One of the mounting screws was actually not fastenable so I had to break up a toothpick and place it in the hole so it could tighten. It remedied the issue and then it returned. All screws still tight when I rechecked.
Maybe use a little wood glue to secure the toothpick? It’s always possible the toothpick worked loose enough to let the buzz return, though it’s not perceptibly loose to you. ????

Have you checked if the string is wound properly on the tuning mechanism, so the winds put it closer to the base and not out towards the tip compared to the hole where it is fastened?
I read somewhere that it could cause a buzz if the cantilever on the peg gets too big that way.

Maybe use a little wood glue to secure the toothpick? It’s always possible the toothpick worked loose enough to let the buzz return, though it’s not perceptibly loose to you. ????
Good idea I’ll have to check.
Have you checked if the string is wound properly on the tuning mechanism, so the winds put it closer to the base and not out towards the tip compared to the hole where it is fastened?
I read somewhere that it could cause a buzz if the cantilever on the peg gets too big that way.
Currently on my second set of strings (first time I put new strings on myself) and I was certain to make sure they wound down since everyone mentioned how important that was.

This link is to a very helpful thread under the Uke Tech Support section. It’s the first pinned article, and it has a really helpful checklist for all things that could cause buzzes. In the event, you don’t find a satisfactory solution using a tuner change take a look at this to develop a plan for finding what remains!

Top Bottom