New Uke Day (NUD) The L'uke

Thanks for sharing the sound clips! Your playing sounds good. You took on some tricky stuff, but the effort will pay off long term.

It does sound like a lute, to my ears. Historically there were single strung lutes, and I am glad to hear that the single courses on this one sound so good.

Glad you are feeling some better!

Based on the sound of your playing, and your desire to emulate a renaissance sound, I am guessing that you have the low G on the thumb/bass side?

Based on the sound of your playing, and your desire to emulate a renaissance sound, I am guessing that you have the low G on the thumb/bass side?
Yes. Doug (my teacher) recommended that tuning for that Renaissance reason :) And we're going to start working from Renaissance guitar tablature soon, too (I have to learn it).

Thanks for sharing the sound clips! Your playing sounds good. You took on some tricky stuff, but the effort will pay off long term.

It does sound like a lute, to my ears. Historically there were single strung lutes, and I am glad to hear that the single courses on this one sound so good.

Glad you are feeling some better!
Thanks very much for your kind words. It's definitely a work in progress, but since I love playing my Baby Bird and now the L'uke so much, it's not a chore (although a little more progress would be delightful - I know that will happen, because I'm continuing to work on it).

I'm hoping that by changing the strings I don't totally destroy that lute sound (good to know that it's got the sound!), but I really do want to at least try the Aquila Reds. I much prefer their feel (I'm definitely not a Nylgut fan), and sound.

Thanks very much for your kind words. It's definitely a work in progress, but since I love playing my Baby Bird and now the L'uke so much, it's not a chore (although a little more progress would be delightful - I know that will happen, because I'm continuing to work on it).

I'm hoping that by changing the strings I don't totally destroy that lute sound (good to know that it's got the sound!), but I really do want to at least try the Aquila Reds. I much prefer their feel (I'm definitely not a Nylgut fan), and sound.
The first piece sounded really good, performance ready, to me. The others just need more time. I doubt that I could play them well at this point! I appreciate your ambition! Renaissance music is wonderful!

I don’t think the string change will hurt the sound. I believe a lot of the lute like quality comes from the bowl shape. Anyway, Reds are great strings! I would bet they sound better, if anything.

I tried them once on an 8 string tenor to get a renaissance guitar sound, and it worked well, sound wise. I just didn’t like the Uke itself, and three pairs plus a chanterelle was tough to manage with the left hand. Higher tension than on a lute.

I don’t think the string change will hurt the sound. I believe a lot of the lute like quality comes from the bowl shape. Anyway, Reds are great strings! I would bet they sound better, if anything.
OK good. Looking forward to trying! I do love the Reds.
The first piece sounded really good, performance ready, to me.
Thank you - I play that one a lot just because it's really fun to practice, and I can focus on different techniques as I practice it because I know it really well and can loop it over & over again. I think it sounds magic on the L'uke, with that octave drone sound. Perfect!!

Also interesting that on the Baroque guitar the high octave string is on the thumb side when there are octave pairs. It emphasizes the reentrant sound. Different than the renaissance lute, where the high octave string was mainly there to help the thick and somewhat dull bass strings sound sweeter. Eventually unison pairs became the standard on the lute, as string technology improved.

🙂

"I'd never heard that! That's lovely! I will have to try to learn it, thank you for sharing. Do you know if the lady that recorded that plays harp? Her right-hand technique is very harp-playing-like."

I don't know if she plays harp. I found Bear Dance in Tony Mizen's "From Lute to Uke" book. It's the first and easiest tune in the book. Lots of fun to play. There are many youtube recordings of it.

Last edited:
Wow! From your recordings, I would never guess that your instrument was a soprano scale. What a luscious rich sounding instrument.

Beautiful sounds from such a gorgeous looking instrument. David done good! Congratulations.

Feel better Amie.

Congratulations, it's gorgeous and unique! You're going to have a lot of fun with this one and heads will turn in envy. Enjoy!

Oh wow, that is a stunning looking instrument, Amie! I absolutely love those striped bowl backs, beautiful. And it sounds incredible, rich and deep.

Also, you really don’t give yourself enough credit for your playing, the sound samples are lovely! You have such a feel for the music.

Big congratulations all round, and I hope you feel fully recovered very soon!

IMG_20240117_180425381.jpg

Still haven't taken good photos in good light but I just restrung with Aquila Reds tonight 😍. They look snazzy and promising sound, but not settled.

I've also updated these threads:

My friend is the person who bought Tukanu's other lutulele that was originally listed back in April?. I'd fawned over it for months and thought about buying it, but had already bought too many ukuleles last year. Then my friend told me she wanted another one and now I get to live vicariously through her. These instruments are so special - Congrats!

My friend is the person who bought Tukanu's other lutulele that was originally listed back in April?. I'd fawned over it for months and thought about buying it, but had already bought too many ukuleles last year. Then my friend told me she wanted another one and now I get to live vicariously through her. These instruments are so special - Congrats!
Oh! I'm so pleased you have had a chance to experience that other lutulele! Honestly, this 5 string is just the thing for Renaissance music, especially anything drone-y. I'm so delighted.

I am getting the Aquila Reds settled in and they sound very fine, exactly like they were made for this beauty. The voice of this instrument really opened up with the Reds. I will post some more sound clips when they've finished settling in. Getting there! Plus the Reds don't exhaust my fingers like the Nylguts do. I'm sure I can benefit from less strangulation on the neck, but it's just so much easier to play with the Reds (for me). And the match of the low G with the rest is excellent. I may even be swayed away from my beloved Fremont Soloist on the Baby Bird in favour of the Red low G...

I finally took the plunge and ordered a soprano scale lutulele from @Tukanu Cripple Creek Mandolins. I wanted a double G (octave tuning) four course to try for the Renaissance music that I am learning, and I'd been very tempted by David's ukulele lute (still for sale!), but I didn't want tenor scale, and I wasn't looking for something tuned the same that I have already. So I asked David if he'd be interested in making a wee 5-string version, and he enthusiastically said yes!

Correct me if I'm wrong David, but I believe the back is walnut, cherry, with maple in between. Top is spruce. I think the neck is cherry. And there's a Canadian penny in the headstock.

Here are some photos from the build:

View attachment 164230

View attachment 164231

View attachment 164232

View attachment 164233

and a lovely photo of the finished piece that David took before he shipped to me:

View attachment 164234

I haven't been feeling well, so I've not yet played very much on it, but it sounds lovely. I am looking forward to installing Aquila Reds on it, to see what they sound like, but I'll have to go pick some up, I don't have a high g set (but I do have the low G from the set on my Baby Bird). I also don't have time very soon to make any sound samples or take some more photos, but will update when I've done so.

I am very, very pleased. Thank you David for such a gorgeous little instrument (it's so light!!) that sounds really beautiful. I am very excited to play some Renaissance music on this!
Wow!! That sound hole! That curvaceous headstock! That equally fancy bridge! That unique back of body pattern! Fantastic!

EDIT- I had not yet listened to either of the three sound clips before posting comments about aesthetics. Such lush, beautiful melodies! Bravo, Amie!

Top Bottom