New Uke Day (NUD) The L'uke

Wow!! That sound hole! That curvaceous headstock! That equally fancy bridge! That unique back of body pattern! Fantastic!

EDIT- I had not yet listened to either of the three sound clips before posting these comments about aesthetics. Such lush, beautiful melodies! Bravo, Amie!
Thanks Clark 😊

I have just started working on a few pieces from @Putter's collection of Early Music for Low G Ukulele on L'uke the Lutulele, and it's just perfect for these pieces! I am finding it interesting to try for a single-shot strum with the thumb on those chords: I had been doing the finger-picking version of chords for the most part before. Getting the thumb in just the right strike angle to sound both of the G strings nicely together (i.e. not too much, not too little, just the right angle) is really challenging to do properly, consistently. It's definitely helping me to recognize what needs work on the right-hand technique too.

Here are the least awful of the Putter arrangements that I've started working on (I'm working on others, too, but they're quite a lot rougher even than these):
Reds - Stella Splendens - Anon - arr. Putter.mp3
Reds - All in a Garden Green - Playford - arr. Putter.mp3

I re-recorded this Bransle de Poitou with the Reds so you can compare:
Reds - Bransle de Poitou - Adrian Le Roy - arr. Vanderzweerde
Bransle de Poitou - Adrian Le Roy - arr. Vanderzweerde

I have just started working on a few pieces from @Putter's collection of Early Music for Low G Ukulele on L'uke the Lutulele, and it's just perfect for these pieces! I am finding it interesting to try for a single-shot strum with the thumb on those chords: I had been doing the finger-picking version of chords for the most part before. Getting the thumb in just the right strike angle to sound both of the G strings nicely together (i.e. not too much, not too little, just the right angle) is really challenging to do properly, consistently. It's definitely helping me to recognize what needs work on the right-hand technique too.

Here are the least awful of the Putter arrangements that I've started working on (I'm working on others, too, but they're quite a lot rougher even than these):
Reds - Stella Splendens - Anon - arr. Putter.mp3
Reds - All in a Garden Green - Playford - arr. Putter.mp3

I re-recorded this Bransle de Poitou with the Reds so you can compare:
Reds - Bransle de Poitou - Adrian Le Roy - arr. Vanderzweerde
Bransle de Poitou - Adrian Le Roy - arr. Vanderzweerde
Very nice sound and playing. It's hard for me to put a finger on what I like about Aquila Reds. They're kind of a cross between the mellow fullness of gut and the ring of steel strings. I think they're made for your lutelele.

Congratulations on a very unique and special uke. I like your playing and I wonder how you determine the tempo for these pieces. For the comparison of the Bransle the red example sounds a bit rushed at the beginning which makes me favour the original strings. There are many metronome apps that you can set to the tempo that may have been the intention at the time this music was composed.

Congratulations on a very unique and special uke. I like your playing and I wonder how you determine the tempo for these pieces. For the comparison of the Bransle the red example sounds a bit rushed at the beginning which makes me favour the original strings. There are many metronome apps that you can set to the tempo that may have been the intention at the time this music was composed.
Lol I'm not yet at the tempo they're supposed to be played at! And yes, the effort of the first recording on that one was more successful than this one, I definitely was rushing a bit. That Bransle I like to just play as my noodle, and sometimes I get carried away. I do also use it for a technique focus, and when I do that it's closer to that first recording. I try to play at a tempo where I've got the most even approach, and usually it's better but of course, I was recording myself so it all went to pot.

I use Soundcorset for a metronome (and tuner) and it's great. I mean, I also have an actual metronome and when I have it near me I use it, but when I don't, the the phone app is fine. But I haven't actually yet used the metronome for these newest pieces. I know that should be something that to do, but I find that I have to focus on fingering first, and once I've got an idea of what that should be, I'll rope in the metronome for tempo practice. So that'll happen soon, maybe tomorrow's practice.

These recordings are nothing polished. I did them so people could hear the instrument, definitely not to demonstrate my playing prowess (hahah).

Thanks for doing all this, Amie. You’re really ambitious. obviously putting a lot of time into it. And it’s paying off! Besides, you seem to be having so much fun with that gorgeous lutulele!🎵🎶

I love the looks and the sound of your new instrument, Amie!

I don't know if anyone is interested in learning to read lute tab. Roger Ruthen has a few practice pieces:

I love the looks and the sound of your new instrument, Amie!

I don't know if anyone is interested in learning to read lute tab. Roger Ruthen has a few practice pieces:
Thanks for the link! That's great!

Oh very nice!

The sound of this little beauty is really bright and beautiful. I took it to Katia's marimba class yesterday (I usually practice while I wait for her) and it was really hard to play quietly!! I'll have to leave L'uke at home and bring something with less projection!

Top Bottom