The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
a poem I put to music about a month ago...with Jon adding some wonderful touches to it to make it sound sweeter.

Last edited:
That is precious :)

Would it be possible to post the words?
wow, thank you so much for kind words, Wiggy.
Here is the poem...

I Can't Fix Everything by Chrissie Gittins
(this is taken from her book Stars In Jars- New and Collected Poems, published by A & C Black, 2014)

I can fix the picnic basket,
the sticky window in your room,
I can fix your seventh puncture,
I can fix that very soon,
but I can't fix the weather
when we're sitting on the sand
and the rain beats down leaving holes behind.
I can fix the squeaky door and the stain on your rug,
I can fix your seagull mobile and the handle on your mug,
but I can't fix the fall out with the friend you've had for years,
I can only nurse the hurt and wipe away the tears.
I can fix a fallen shelf and a wonky wooden bed,
I can fix a crashed computer and that wall you painted red,
but I can't fix it when you fall in love with someone who doesn't feel the same.
I can only say, "Pick another', fall in love again.

(when you click on the title of a video posted here, it will take you to the YouTube page of the video,
and there you can see more information that folks might write...Thanks again for listening and your comment. :--))

Oh, God of dust and rainbows help us see
That without dust the rainbow
would not be.

Langston Hughes

(I set this poem to music today)

Last edited:
From 12 years ago tomorrow, celebrating International Talk Like a Pirate and International Talk like a Canadian Days. Its also what I made my signature icon below, which has been annoying people for over a decade now,

Reactions: joo
Appropriate for the Island, I suppose —

We helped host an open uke jam at the recent World of Bluegrass festival and I pitched a story to the local media sponsor. The idea: come on down, play a ukulele at a music festival! The station caught us playing at a local senior center. The segment was pushed back because Hurricane Ian had its own ideas, but it aired after the festival. Keep strumming, y’all!

(Proprietary media player, so you have to click through … )

While looking for lost footage of the project I'm working on today, I came across something created 11 years ago today, 2/11/11... I remember making it, but not much else about what inspired it. It's odd, even for me.

While looking for lost footage of the project I'm working on today, I came across something created 11 years ago today, 2/11/11... I remember making it, but not much else about what inspired it. It's odd, even for me.

I don't know what came over you, but I liked it!

It reminds me of the Dylan/Cash sessions... ;)

Home on the Range fits this week's Homey category and I was reminded of 15 years ago... WHen I was challenged to find a complete stranger and get them to sing with me... did I succeed?

another version of Railroad Bill, played on a mahogany concert in standard G, C, E A tuning, versus the one I posted for Val's season, which was a spruce top soprano tuned a full step down.

A quick rough n ready vid I’ve done in tribute to the great Terry Hall, of The Specials, Fun Boy Three and Colourfield among others. I was lucky enough to see The Specials on the Two Tone tour at the Top Rank in Brum in 1979. Fantastic gig ( Madness and The Selector we’re also on), there were a few fights between the skins, rude boys and mods, but mostly what I remember is the dancing, you just had to dance, and The Specials had such awesome energy, the rest of the band jumping around while Terry sang in that world weary voice of his, never smiled, didn’t talk much either I think, but what a great frontman for all that. RIP fella, you’ll be missed 😔

A quick rough n ready vid I’ve done in tribute to the great Terry Hall, of The Specials, Fun Boy Three and Colourfield among others. I was lucky enough to see The Specials on the Two Tone tour at the Top Rank in Brum in 1979. Fantastic gig ( Madness and The Selector we’re also on), there were a few fights between the skins, rude boys and mods, but mostly what I remember is the dancing, you just had to dance, and The Specials had such awesome energy, the rest of the band jumping around while Terry sang in that world weary voice of his, never smiled, didn’t talk much either I think, but what a great frontman for all that. RIP fella, you’ll be missed 😔

On this side of the pond we completely missed The Specials, Fun Boy Three, and Colourfield.

Thanks for turning me on for a search for Terry and his band's CDs.

I have a birthday this year - an excuse I encourage you all to use - and so I've got myself one of these Flight Pathfinder Almighty Racket Makers, along with a Zoom G1four multi effects thingy. I've also got myself the Dreaded Lurgy this week and so, since I'm not allowed to go anywhere, I have spent much of today making a racket with it.

I suppose you could call it a collaboration with Band-in-a-Box, which provided bass and drums, but that still seems a bit of a stretch for Ila's current season, so I'm putting it here instead. It also mentions a cat in passing, but, again, that doesn't seem quite enough...

Anyway. There's only one song to do if you're going to go electric.

- Judas T Steam

I've not totally gone away but it's harder these days to find time to make videos and I have gone back pretty much to the recorder, my original instrument. However here's something involving whistle rather than recorder.
King William of Orange is an English variant of the traditional Irish tune King of the Fairies. The A section is virtually the same but the B section is somewhat different. Played here on High and Low Whistles and Baritone Ukulele. The video is views of Beamish Museum in County Durham.

remember Bird week? TCK did it twice I think.
If I had discovered Michael Hurley then I would have tried to do this.
Bobby did a beautiful cover of it though. Well, he does for every song he covers!

Here is my cover -

Last edited:
Top Bottom