Kiwaya USA now offering Big Island Ukuleles

I call them Kiwaya USA , as they are the USA distributor of some Kiwaya ukuleles .
They also distribute other brands . Their website is Takumi Ukulele .
I contacted them once about getting a Zephyr brand ukulele which is a sub brand of Kiwaya .
Their asking price was too high .

I wish that a company called "Kiwaya USA" would sell the full line of Kiwaya ukuleles in the USA.
I wish Ukulele Pua Pua in Honolulu which is partially owned by Kiwaya would sell Kiwaya ukuleles .

That is why they don't , but I wish they did .

They look interesting. I first looked at the traditional model. Liked what I saw, except the headstock...which looked anything but traditional. I like the rounded top, but the points down near the nut? Kinda ugly IMO, and maybe a real knuckle buster when playing some chords down low, like E7. Then I noticed that every series/model has this same headstock. If I had one, I'd be sanding those points down into a more pleasing, rounded shape,maybe more like the 2nd pic.. YMMV

Screenshot_20240308_152302_Chrome.pngScreenshot_20240308_153408_Chrome.png

Last edited:
I don't remember who told me about the partnership ; if it was at the shop or in town .
I read online that "Kiwaya is actually the trading company, the factory is known as Mitsuba Gakki"
There was a Mitsuba Gakki Hawaii Co but it's listed on Google as permanently closed .
Pua Pua sells/sold ukulele from Mitsuba Gakki .
https://ukulelepuapua.com/collections/mailelei-and-gcea-mitsuba

Last edited:
I don't remember who told me about the partnership ; if it was at the shop or in town .
I read online that "Kiwaya is actually the trading company, the factory is known as Mitsuba Gakki"
There was a Mitsuba Gakki Hawaii Co but it's listed on Google as permanently closed .
Pua Pua sells/sold ukulele from Mitsuba Gakki .
https://ukulelepuapua.com/collections/mailelei-and-gcea-mitsuba
woah.. that Domo uke is a fun little throwback

They look interesting. I first looked at the traditional model. Liked what I saw, except the headstock...which looked anything but traditional. I like the rounded top, but the points down near the nut? Kinda ugly IMO, and maybe a real knuckle buster when playing some chords down low, like E7. Then I noticed that every series/model has this same headstock. If I had one, I'd be sanding those points down into a more pleasing, rounded shape,maybe more like the 2nd pic.. YMMV

View attachment 168032View attachment 168033
I have the same feeling towards koaloha headstocks but still put up with them.

I had a very simple Big Island mahogany concert that I sold for too little money maybe six years ago. You don’t see many around. That one and a tenor I played were very nice.

It’s funny. I’ve gone through tons of guitars over the years, and I don’t really miss any of the ones I let go. However, the first two ukuleles I bought maybe 13-15 years ago were a basic Ko'olau concert and that Big Island concert. I sold both for too little money, and I miss both of those instruments. I really wish I had kept them.

Liked what I saw, except the headstock...which looked anything but traditional. I like the rounded top, but the points down near the nut? Kinda ugly IMO, and maybe a real knuckle buster when playing some chords down low, like E7.
Yeah, that headstock...not kinda ugly, ugly AF...makes it a hard NO for me.

Their UK distributor is Southern Ukulele ; nuff said .

Top Bottom