Successful ear surgery for hearing

Jeffelele

Reaction score
I’ll get right to the point. For years the hearing in one of my ears has been close to nonexistent. Couldn’t follow conversation unless it was with one person in a quiet place where I could best position me good ear. Couldn’t hear music in stereo or record with good balance. It sucked.

I went and had my hearing tested at an ear, nose and throat clinic. Note: You can end up getting tested by a hearing aid sales group as I did at first. My doctor gave me a referral to one and I got a stripped down test and a hard sell push. I told the doc about it and he was horrified and apologised for it having slipped by him.

A different experience at the ENT Clinic where the audiologist had a PhD and gave a full standard test. Test confirmed somewhat better hearing than my age average on right ear and significant loss across frequencies on the left.

But there was also some good news. The ENT doc said the test and his examination showed I had a condition called Otosclerosis. This was good news because most hearing loss cannot be reversed but Otosclerosis can. You may ask “What is it and where can I get it?”. It’s genetic and if a parent (not sure of how far from parent still counts and if grandparents count) had it good chance child will. My father had severe hearing loss in one ear but I never knew why and still don’t know.

It is a disease in the middle ear where there is a linkage of three tiny bones (last one is the smallest bone in the body) that allows for the precise movements that transmit the signals that the brain can interpret. The disease part is that an overgrowth can occur that fuses the second bone to the third and throws a wrench into the proceedings. Somewhat of a cutdown explanation here in deference to your remaining conscious. Surgery is called a stapedectomy. Problem occurs in approximately 5% of population but most never get tested.

Surgery is done microscopically and a laser cuts the last bone out and it is replaced with a prosthesis. About a 90 minutes procedure you sleep through. Done as outpatient procedure and usually doing most activities within a week.

There is a 1% chance of loosing all hearing in the ear. Not necessarily a surgical mistake. It just can happen.

Both my result which was better than Doc was thinking and my recovery which was longer than expected were unusual. Some really wild balance related stuff that I tolerated by thinking of it as rides in some future theme park.

Bottom line is that a couple of days before my six week final appointment for exam and after test, I started a song on my iPhone, which I kept set to mono so I could hear all the sounds, and after listening for a minute I flipped the switch to stereo and for the first time in years I heard balanced stereo with full sound staging effect. Wow!

So my point here is that if you have hearing loss you should get it checked out.

I still have to see how I do with conversations beyond one to one sound. Doc said without the surgery he wouldn’t have recommended a hearing aid due to my individual circumstance but now he thought it was optional depending on how I did. For watching movies or anything in most circumstances I’m totally fine.

Plenty of YouTube stuff on this.

I had assumed loss was from concerts and rock band playing and other loud circumstances and some probably was and still is but the difference is very clear.

Only a legit hearing test can tell.

I’ll get right to the point. For years the hearing in one of my ears has been close to nonexistent. Couldn’t follow conversation unless it was with one person in a quiet place where I could best position me good ear. Couldn’t hear music in stereo or record with good balance. It sucked.

I went and had my hearing tested at an ear, nose and throat clinic. Note: You can end up getting tested by a hearing aid sales group as I did at first. My doctor gave me a referral to one and I got a stripped down test and a hard sell push. I told the doc about it and he was horrified and apologised for it having slipped by him.

A different experience at the ENT Clinic where the audiologist had a PhD and gave a full standard test. Test confirmed somewhat better hearing than my age average on right ear and significant loss across frequencies on the left.

But there was also some good news. The ENT doc said the test and his examination showed I had a condition called Otosclerosis. This was good news because most hearing loss cannot be reversed but Otosclerosis can. You may ask “What is it and where can I get it?”. It’s genetic and if a parent (not sure of how far from parent still counts and if grandparents count) had it good chance child will. My father had severe hearing loss in one ear but I never knew why and still don’t know.

It is a disease in the middle ear where there is a linkage of three tiny bones (last one is the smallest bone in the body) that allows for the precise movements that transmit the signals that the brain can interpret. The disease part is that an overgrowth can occur that fuses the second bone to the third and throws a wrench into the proceedings. Somewhat of a cutdown explanation here in deference to your remaining conscious. Surgery is called a stapedectomy. Problem occurs in approximately 5% of population but most never get tested.

Surgery is done microscopically and a laser cuts the last bone out and it is replaced with a prosthesis. About a 90 minutes procedure you sleep through. Done as outpatient procedure and usually doing most activities within a week.

There is a 1% chance of loosing all hearing in the ear. Not necessarily a surgical mistake. It just can happen.

Both my result which was better than Doc was thinking and my recovery which was longer than expected were unusual. Some really wild balance related stuff that I tolerated by thinking of it as rides in some future theme park.

Bottom line is that a couple of days before my six week final appointment for exam and after test, I started a song on my iPhone, which I kept set to mono so I could hear all the sounds, and after listening for a minute I flipped the switch to stereo and for the first time in years I heard balanced stereo with full sound staging effect. Wow!

So my point here is that if you have hearing loss you should get it checked out.

I still have to see how I do with conversations beyond one to one sound. Doc said without the surgery he wouldn’t have recommended a hearing aid due to my individual circumstance but now he thought it was optional depending on how I did. For watching movies or anything in most circumstances I’m totally fine.

Plenty of YouTube stuff on this.

I had assumed loss was from concerts and rock band playing and other loud circumstances and some probably was and still is but the difference is very clear.

Only a legit hearing test can tell.
Wow, I'm so happy for you! That's fantastic!

That's great. I also had oscular reconstruction on my right ear and had one of the tiny bones replaced with a titanium protheses. The result was my right ear has better hearing than my left. Still don't need hearing aids at 67!

I have been getting my hearing checked at a local clinic regularly for a few years, because I thought I'd had some issues related to hearing loss. Thankfully, I don't at this point, but I'm in their rotation now, so if something does change, they'll have evidence of that change, and be able to help sooner rather than later. So I also thoroughly encourage others to have their hearing checked (and eyesight!! my husband just discovered he has cataracts developing at the age of 55, and he'd just thought that his eyes were just not working quite as well... he'll be getting his lenses replaced in a few months).

This is wonderful news that your hearing loss was correctable, at least to some degree, and it appears that the surgery has done a lot. I am delighted for you!

Thank you so much for this posting. I'd never heard of Otosclerosis. Your description of the condition, procedure, and your attitude toward it were all written so concisely and with a refreshingly light frankness (I'm not describing it properly right now!). It was pleasant to read!! I'm only 45 years old, but I've had asymmetrical hearing loss since I was a kid, mostly in my right ear. Hearing tests, MRI, all that. Then, just dealt with it. Skip ahead about 3 decades, more hearing tests and then a hearing aid that I never use because I never took the time to let my brain get used to them. I just cup my left ear with my hand when I need to understand people's words better. I'm so happy that the surgery worked out for you!!! I agree with Bill, celebrate with a new ukulele :)

Thanks to all for your kind words.

We’re a group of musicians here so it’s good to check periodically to see if our ears need tuning! With an estimate of 5% of the population having this issue there’s a likelihood some of us may be affected.

Best lesson I’ve learned is don’t diagnose yourself. You may have stood next to me a foot from the giant speaker at that Grateful Dead concert in the sixties or been there when Jimi Hendrix at Carnegie Hall played so loud my girlfriend fell into a defensive sleep but it’s still worth checking.

And while another ukulele may be warranted, thus far the high mucky muck Lords of Social Security have resisted my fervent prayers for a sweet tenor!

I so glad the surgery was successful and your balance issues cleared up eventually. Truly wonderful.

Find out what kind of hearing aid or amplifier you need. You MAY be able to use an inexpensive type that you see on the infomercials for watching movies or understanding conversations in a noisy environment.

Enjoy your new stereophonic hearing.

Thanks Kenn.

I’m checking out the AirPods Pro hearing aid settings and an OTC offering that allows the purchase of only one side. Virtually all companies only sell them in pairs.

Top Bottom