Show us your ukes!

My Uke is happy to be home, it almost feels like New Uke Day. Just got it back this afternoon with new fluorocarbon stings, and newly setup as low-G to go with the Jeff Peterson book.

Uke_sofa.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so happy it's back again!!
Thanks, yeah me too. I picked it up on my way in to band rehearsal last night (where I usually play only keyboards). One of the songs we're doing this week is by Emmylou Harris so since I had it with me, I opted to play uke on that one instead of piano. So I'll get to use it on Sunday, it will give me something fun to work on. The song only has three chords, every uke players' favorites — B, E and F#.

Last edited:
What models are they? I only recognize the Outdoor Uke. Which is your favorite?
They are Outdoor Ukulele, a Bruko no. 6, a Bruko mahogany, and an old restored Maybell. It’s hard to pick a favorite. I’ve had the outdoor and Bruko no. 6 the longest. The Bruko no. 6 is super loud, deep, and resonant for a mahogany soprano, and it was my first “serious” uke. The sound of that one appeals to me the most. But that little Outdoor soprano has been my side kick on many of my travels so I’m pretty attached to that one as well. The Maybell was restored by Aaron Keim. It’s got a sweet old-timey tone. Also, we went to go pick it up in person at Aaron’s shop and got to chat with him awhile about his projects, which was pretty cool.
The mahogany Bruko is my latest. It has a sweet chimey tone but I’m still getting used to it. It sounds better after playing it for a couple weeks. But it’s probably my prettiest.

That’s beautiful. Such nice condition!
The photos don't do it justice, actually. There are only three or four almost imperceptible micro-dings on the entire instrument and literally no sign of wear on the frets or fret board. Even the original chipboard case is almost mint. There's a very light patina around the sound hole that could easily be buffed out but for me it only adds to the beauty of the instrument to see the pattern where the previous owner's fingers have brushed the top. It's a beauty and it sounds as good as it looks. I had the chance to compare this one with my teacher's 1930's 1-T last week. His has a somewhat darker sound, as the earlier ones tend to, but they both have that unmistakable Martin tone. They're not necessarily ideal instruments in every context, but what they do well they do better than any other, IMHO.

Top Bottom