Season of the 'Ukulele (SOTU) 629 - Season of the Cuckoo'lele

The pattern of entries shows a bit of a reverse bell curve with Friday being the only day with less than 10 entries. It can be inferred that Seasonistas have more free time to submit on weekends and are super cool, popular, and busy on Fridays... obviously because of the ukulele.
  • Please keep in mind that these dates reflect Pacific Standard Time (PST), so the data does not take into account time submitted and various time zones
    • ie... don't scroll up and see who submitted songs on Friday and group them as uncool, unpopular, and super NOT busy... (one of them was me). 😬
Figure 1. Entries by date and user
1710223193314.png

Thanks to all who joined this seasons, whether singing, recording, listening, commenting, liking here or on YT. I appreciate all of you!!!

But I don't have enough postcards, paint, or time, soooooo the postcards go to...
  • Our lone brave new Seasonista this week. WELCOME!!
  • For signing up to host future Seasons, THANK YOU! Looking forward to your seasons and I hope you first time hosts really enjoy it!
  • And finally, my picks. I tried to pick winners who I haven't chosen in my prior seasons... buuuut...
    • @mountain goat was undeniable this week. If you didn't catch his entries this week. He bared parts of his soul in his 5 originals (poems & songs) and 1 cover, in the descriptions of those entries, and in his thoughtful comments on SO MANY entries. If i had to pick one winner this week, it'd be Jon. Who the f** else you know got has the word "UKULELE" tattooed on their knuckles, not afraid to tell the world the s** he's been thru, aaaaand has published rekkids available for download?! No one. That's who. At this point, in my mind, no one deserves a "Uke of Ages" image more than this man. It may really have been (or still be) a rock in the stormy seas to hang on to for some breath and a break from the waves.
  • Lucky for me, I don't have to just pick one winner! In no particular order
    • @Canada Jim steady bringing the picking and wonderful tunes. Jim's warm presence and songs are as constant and consistent as his picking. His song choices bring humor, love, and wisdom. I can seriously listen to him play all day!
    • @wee_ginga_yin Rob always has a way to make songs his own, providing laughs, insight, and sheer inspiration.
    • @ukudancer Arvin is such an advocate for being a good Seasonista! Encouraging others to comment, keeping us honest, and being real. As far as music goes... few others put forth the amount of effort he puts in to learn and produce a song straight up music video and also reach out to other Seasonistas to collaborate. One of my life philosophies is constant growth and Arvin embodies and encourages that!
    • @TBB Victoria's entry blew me away... opposite of Arvin's in production, but just as poignant. Just thinking about it makes me sigh. Not only that, but you might see a pattern in my picks, if you go thru all the entries and scroll down to the comments section. Look for a little moth on a headstock. You'll see it often.
    • @One Man And His Uke You'll see John down there too, with thoughtful and kind comments. Why else did I choose John? NOYFB.
    • @Ms Bean is last on purpose. Sabine is not just a great Seasonista, usually rounding out the pack with some beautiful uke play a the end of the Season, but also a great UU Forum member. I went back thru the Playlist throughout the season and I see a few users commenting so so often! One of the is Sabine. Not only that, but I like to try and welcome new UU Forum members and who else do I see posting there, welcoming new uke'aholics. That's right... it's Sabine! It's a little thing, but it means a lot to make new members feel welcome and it does take time out of your day.** Her comments are as kind, gentle, and thoughtful as her uke playing!
(**You know what else takes time outa your day? Long ass wraps like this. I apologize for being so wordy!!)

I would like to add, there are many more of you who comment plenty and support the rest of us with all your hearts as well.
You know who you are and I see you!! 🥰

That's all I got. I'll reach out to those listed above, if i haven't already, to get details for the cards.

CHEERS!

(one final nudge to reach out to those who might be in need of your support or to reach out if you, yourself are in need of support. Love you guys!!)

Last edited:
I am laughing out loud with joy....You are one Crazy Nerdy Seasonista to make that chart and list!!!!
Thanks so much for everything you do, Chris!!!😘
Argh! Looking at the list of names makes me feel like we have made history by achieving something pretty special!
Congrats to the postcard owners!!!

I am laughing out loud with joy....You are one Crazy Nerdy Seasonista to make that chart and list!!!!
I might be one of the (low key) nerdiest🤫, but I feel like I'm just middle of the pack crazy. 😜 I will not name names.

Thanks so much for everything you do, Chris!!!😘
It's really my pleasure!

Argh! Looking at the list of names makes me feel like we have made history by achieving something pretty special!
I think it's really a special place. One would be hard pressed to find a group of 44 people who sang/played, recorded, and shared 100 songs last week... then multiply (some fraction of) that by SIX HUNDRED AND THIRTY WEEKS!!! That's over 12 years running. INSANE and AWESOME! So much praise to those who have been here for years or perhaps a decade+ or perhaps from the beginning and to all those who have come and gone to keep the Seasons going.

Wow! I’ve no idea how to follow that next time I host, Chris! You are bloody brilliant! Brilliant choices for winner and shout-outs too! Congrats all round!

And a special mention of my own for Jon @mountain goat if I may? When I first picked up a uke and dived straight into the Seasons, his support and encouragement and friendship was priceless. And it’s great to see him getting his life back together after all he’s been through. So… thank you so very much, Jon Duncan - you are a star, my friend! 🙂

And thank you again, Chris - for this Season and for all the positivity you bring to this special little corner of the internet. You are also a star! 🙂

Wow! I’ve no idea how to follow that next time I host, Chris! You are bloody brilliant! Brilliant choices for winner and shout-outs too! Congrats all round!

And a special mention of my own for Jon @mountain goat if I may? When I first picked up a uke and dived straight into the Seasons, his support and encouragement and friendship was priceless. And it’s great to see him getting his life back together after all he’s been through. So… thank you so very much, Jon Duncan - you are a star, my friend! 🙂

And thank you again, Chris - for this Season and for all the positivity you bring to this special little corner of the internet. You are also a star! 🙂
I appreciate it, Del!

Last minute twist here, inspired by your post. I wanna give a special shoutout to @flyingroc this week and add him to the list of postcard recipients! I know it's not easy being a new uke'aholic, putting yourself out there, and finding your voice amongst what, some might say, is a tight knit, impenetrable group of scary Seasonistas 😡...;). The Seasons has helped me immensely in that journey and I can already see Roy coming into his own. Dude has no fear, bringing Nirvana's Lithium and Johnny Cash/Trent Reznor's Hurt... some heavy jams!.. but he did it in his own sweet, and calm way... but still with power and emotion. His performances stuck in my head this week as well. And I can tell he's swept away with this amazing little instrument, as he's already got himself a beautiful Kamaka.

Andrew's the newest Seasonista on the SOTU block, but he's obviously taken a few laps around the music block. Roy deserves a warm welcome and round of applause for first picking up a uke and diving straight into the Seasons. I'd love to be the Jon to Roy's Del (did I say that right?!).

You're a star, Roy!! 🤩

Last edited:
Agree, Roy’s vids have been awesome 🤩.

And thanks so much Chris for this week. It’s been really great to see how people have got on board and embraced your theme. An important and timely reminder to look out for our brothers and sisters whether close family or spread across the globe. And thanks for the prize too Chris. Tbh, if it hadn’t been for Edwin’s song, mine would never have even existed so cheers @jtsteam 🤘

Thank you so much for a really special season, Chris. I loved listening to all the amazing music on the playlist and I’m cock-a-hoop to be receiving one of your awesome postcards 😍

Last edited:
Can I just point out the huge amount of musical ground we covered this week? We went from the 1800s with Beethoven to a 2024 Grammy winner. Absolutely wild.

I'm also 100% sure I missed a few of your songs because there was just so much to get through.

gee, thank you so much Chris, and for your lovely words to me and all of us.
it really was a beautiful week of music and sharing between us all in so many ways
and thank you too for being such a sensitive, encouraging and attentive host, brother.
thank you also Del, very much for what you wrote mate.
it feels good to be playing again and able to join in more regularly.
much love to all. xo
🌻

I appreciate it, Del!

Last minute twist here, inspired by your post. I wanna give a special shoutout to @flyingroc this week and add him to the list of postcard recipients! I know it's not easy being a new uke'aholic, putting yourself out there, and finding your voice amongst what, some might say, is a tight knit, impenetrable group of scary Seasonistas 😡...;). The Seasons has helped me immensely in that journey and I can already see Roy coming into his own. Dude has no fear, bringing Nirvana's Lithium and Johnny Cash/Trent Reznor's Hurt... some heavy jams!.. but he did it in his own sweet, and calm way... but still with power and emotion. His performances stuck in my head this week as well. And I can tell he's swept away with this amazing little instrument, as he's already got himself a beautiful Kamaka.

Andrew's the newest Seasonista on the SOTU block, but he's obviously taken a few laps around the music block. Roy deserves a warm welcome and round of applause for first picking up a uke and diving straight into the Seasons. I'd love to be the Jon to Roy's Del (did I say that right?!).

You're a star, Roy!! 🤩
Aw shucks, lol

Reactions: TBB
Starting to wrap things up... this will be over a few posts, so bear with me and imagine a long drumroll as you scroll quickly or study slowly. I should really be working, but instead I've decided to use my brainpower for the greater good.
  • 44 Seasonistas submitted songs this week + a few guest Seasonistas who had videos submitted on their behalf (welcome back @Friesse, my secret vocalist slash favorite person in the entire world who's too shy and would rather remain nameless and faceless, all of Wendy's birds friends and open mic friends, and Jon's fam doing some gardening in a home video)
  • For those of you still matching UUUsernames to real names to virtual faces, I've created the list below to help you feel a bit more at home* here in the Seasons. (*Season 630 plug 😉)
  • 99 Entries show up on the list I created below (table 1)
    • Somehow the YT Playlist shows 100 videos, but two unlisted and there's one IG entry counted in the list below (I don't have the brainpower to reconcile it)
    • Wendy's Open Mic entries included four songs each, so we definitely broke into 3 digits!
Table 1. Entry Info
CountUU NameNameSongArtistDate
1​
hands_on_lanzonChrisHELP!The Beatles
3/2​
2​
UkeCan1WendyLeap Day
The Bruce's Philosophers Drinking Song
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Games People Play
Original
Monty Python
Queen
Joe South
3/3​
3​
Charley BCharleyReefer MadnessHawkulele
3/3​
4​
Canada JimJimCrazyPat Donohue, parody of Willie Nelson
3/3​
5​
JooJooTouch Me Someplace I Can FeelJohn Callahan
3/3​
6​
Renaissance-ManRMHurtJohnny Cash
3/3​
7​
LimousinLilValWalk on ByDionne Warwick
3/3​
8​
wee_ginga_yinRobA hell of a DuetCharles Bukowski
3/3​
9​
mythinformedMarkCrazyPatsy Cline
3/3​
10​
dr_mitchPaulI don't like MondaysBoomtown Rats
3/3​
11​
AlanDPAlanTwistedWardell Gray and Annie Ross
3/3​
12​
mikelz777Mikel/Scott?I Built a FriendAlec Benjamin
3/3​
13​
mountain goatJonriches and wondersOriginal
3/3​
14​
FlatbaroqueJohnPaint it BlackThe Rolling Stones
3/3​
15​
flyingrocRoyLithiumNirvana
3/3​
16​
mountain goatJonthe yellow leaforiginal
3/3​
17​
UkeFooteBrianIt's No Good TryingSyd Barrett
3/3​
18​
mythinformedMarkStill Got the BluesGary Moore
3/3​
19​
LimousinLilValLoving You Has Made Me BananasGuy Marks
3/4​
20​
wee_ginga_yinRobMy s**'s Fucked UpWarren Zevon
3/4​
21​
Ms BeanSabineLa mamotteVan Beethoven
3/4​
22​
TheOnlyUkeThatMattersRalfO' SanityYoko Ono
3/4​
23​
UkeCan1WendyNeurodiversity (Matchmaker parody)Original
3/4​
24​
hands_on_lanzonChrisI'll Stand By YouThe Pretenders
3/4​
25​
good_uke_boyGUBFire and RainJames Taylor
3/4​
26​
Canada JimJimCrazy Lazy From LondonderryMichael Smith
3/4​
27​
jtsteamEdwinFinal StrawOriginal
3/4​
28​
Canada JimJimThe DutchmanMichael Smith
3/4​
29​
Renaissance-ManRMBeautifulChristina Aguilera
3/4​
30​
mountain goatJonsong for john berrymanOriginal
3/4​
31​
wee_ginga_yinRobWhat they wantCharles Bukowski
3/4​
32​
wee_ginga_yinRobWhat they wantCharles Bukowski
3/5​
33​
FlatbaroqueJohnMad WorldGary Jules version
3/5​
34​
hands_on_lanzonChrisCrazy for Uke (Parody)Original
3/5​
35​
pabrizzerBrianmy old friend the bluesSteve Earle
3/5​
36​
LimousinLilValVincentDon McLean
3/5​
37​
One Man And His UkeJohnLike The Regent Benefiting From The Madness Of King GeorgeOriginal
3/5​
38​
JooJooall my trialsNick Drake
3/5​
39​
jtsteamEdwinSit DownJames
3/5​
40​
jtsteamEdwinOverthinkers AnonymousOriginal
3/5​
41​
Canada JimJimBidin' My TimeGene MacLellan
3/5​
42​
acharmanAndrewColorblindCounting Crows
3/5​
43​
mythinformedMarkDowntownPetula Clark
3/5​
44​
wee_ginga_yinRobLove Will Tear Us Apart AgainJoy Division
3/5​
45​
hands_on_lanzonChrisSocietyEddie Vedder
3/6​
46​
LimousinLilValACUTE SCHIZOPHRENIA PARANOIA BLUESThe Kinks
3/6​
47​
redpaul1PaulWish You Were HerePink Floyd
3/6​
48​
UkeCan1WendyBrain Damage/EclipsePink Floyd
3/6​
49​
ukukeguyRobertThoughts of Mary JaneNick and Gabrielle Drake
3/6​
50​
mythinformedMarkThe Long and Winding RoadThe Beatles
3/6​
51​
jtsteamEdwinBetter ReasonsOriginal
3/6​
52​
ThreebirdThreebirdMr. BobbManu Chao
3/6​
53​
dr_mitchPaulWild Man BluesJelly Roll Morton, Louis Armstrong, Eddie Davis
3/6​
54​
mountain goatJonlean-toOriginal
3/6​
55​
acharmanAndrewThe Quiet RoomAlice Cooper
3/6​
56​
wee_ginga_yinRobHouse on the HillKevin Coyne
3/7​
57​
BarbalancaBerniLost HoursOriginal
3/7​
58​
One Man And His UkeJohnNOYFBOriginal
3/7​
59​
jooJooon MondayOriginal
3/7​
60​
JokoJokoCrazy MamaJ.J. Cale
3/7​
61​
TheOnlyUkeThatMattersRalfOn Melancholy HillGorillaz
3/7​
62​
OldscruggsfanOSFYou May Be RightBilly Joel
3/7​
63​
CeeJayCJHappy Days and Lonely NightsSellers and Milligan
3/7​
64​
mountain goatJonpoem for worn out loversOriginal
3/7​
65​
DelGriffDelI Wanna Be SedatedRamones
3/7​
66​
AlanDPAlanCrazy PeopleBoswell Sisters
3/7​
67​
CeeJayCJFolsom Prison BluesJohnny Cash
3/8​
68​
jooJooI can't sleepOriginal
3/8​
69​
YorkSteveSteveMadnessPrince Buster
3/8​
70​
OldscruggsfanOSFThe Merry Go Round Broke DownCliff Friend
3/8​
71​
mountain goatJonIsaiah 45:23Mountain Goats
3/8​
72​
hands_on_lanzonChrisOne More LightLinkin Park
3/8​
73​
jooJoothe voices in our headsOriginal
3/8​
74​
MezcaleroKevStarry Starry NightDon McLean
3/8​
75​
TBBVictoriaLe CygneSaint-Saëns
3/8​
76​
UkeCan1WendyBrain Damage/Eclipse
We're Not Gonna Take It Home, Country Roads
Fool on the Hill
Leap Day
Pink Floyd
John Denver vs Twisted Sister
The Beatles
Original
3/9​
77​
UkeCan1WendySo Long, FarewellThe Sound of Music
3/9​
78​
wee_ginga_yinRobMad WorldTears for Fears
3/9​
79​
mikeinmontaraMike
3/9​
80​
xommenWimCrazySeal
3/9​
81​
ChaosLibrarianMarinFired My TherapistMadelline
3/9​
82​
flyingrocRoyHurtNine Inch Nails
3/9​
83​
TCKTCKParanoidBlack Sabbath
3/9​
84​
TCKTCKMadnessPrince Buster
3/9​
85​
TCKTCKValerieAmy Winehouse
3/9​
86​
Canada JimJimWe were Kind of Crazy ThenSusanna Clark
3/9​
87​
Mezcalero & FriesseKev & Jasmine FellowsAcross the UniverseThe Beatles
3/10​
88​
UkeCan1WendyYou're My HomeBilly Joel
3/10​
89​
wee_ginga_yinRobCrazyPatsy Cline
3/10​
90​
BystanderHelp!The Beatles
3/10​
91​
kolibriYlleI'm Going Slightly MadQueen
3/10​
92​
dr_mitchPaulAll the Young DudesMott the Hoople
3/10​
93​
OiNumiDellArpachi desia di saperFrancesca Caccini
3/10​
94​
YooperGirlTanyaUnwellMatchbox Twenty
3/10​
95​
hands_on_lanzonChrisCrazyGnarles Barkley
3/10​
96​
Canada JimJimMy Dad Worked HardRachael Kilgour
3/10​
97​
ukudancerArvinWhat I Was Made ForBillie Eilish
3/10​
98​
UkeCan1WendyMy Home TownTom Lehrer
3/11​
99​
hands_on_lanzonChrisThis Must Be The PlaceTalking Heads
3/11​

Seven songwriters submitted 17 originals.

Table 2. SOTU 629 Originals
UU NameNameSong
UkeCan1WendyLeap Day
mountain goatJonriches and wonders
mountain goatJonthe yellow leaf
UkeCan1WendyNeurodiversity (Matchmaker parody)
jtsteamEdwinFinal Straw
mountain goatJonsong for john berryman
hands_on_lanzonChrisCrazy for Uke (Parody)
One Man And His UkeJohnLike The Regent Benefiting From The Madness Of King George
jtsteamEdwinOverthinkers Anonymous
jtsteamEdwinBetter Reasons
mountain goatJonlean-to
BarbalancaBerniLost Hours
One Man And His UkeJohnNOYFB
jooJooon Monday
mountain goatJonpoem for worn out lovers
jooJooI can't sleep
jooJoothe voices in our heads

Rob led the way with 8 entries, Wendy led the way with 13 songs in 7 entries (if my math is correct), followed by your host (me), Jon and Jim rounding out the top 3 submitters.

Table 3. Entry Count ... etc....
I admire your ultra-nerdiness. I plan to copy this post and fill in my own stats when I host. This is uke nerd heaven right here. 🌟💕

Top Bottom