Season 638: Road signs

Hello yet again, Dave! I can't get that bloody woman out of my car and when she realised that this song qualified for your theme because it included the word "wait," she insisted on singing it - apparently she's been wanting to do it for ages! As you will see, her version was somewhat abbreviated since she met with a nasty accident ... palm trees can be dangerous!

Thank you, all, for your videos.
Hello yet again, Dave! I can't get that bloody woman out of my car and when she realised that this song qualified for your theme because it included the word "wait," she insisted on singing it - apparently she's been wanting to do it for ages! As you will see, her version was somewhat abbreviated since she met with a nasty accident ... palm trees can be dangerous!

You don’t supppose it’s a ghost from somewhere, do you?

Thanks for hosting, Dave. :)

This is my version of Route 66 - it’s been covered by lots of artists, but probably the version by the Rolling Stones is the best known? Naturally I prefer the Depeche Mode cover from the 80s! :)

Baritone uke with some added drums, synth bass and rock organ, and a doubled up vocal to be heard above the noise!

An old song written, after the intro, entirely in advertising slogans that were common in 1929, and used on highway billboards all across the U.S. I had to look them up to satisfy my curiosity, so what I discovered is listed below. The only one I knew for certain was "say it with flowers" for FTD, except back in 1929 they weren't FTD yet.

it peps you up - Used by both the tea industry to advertise tea as well as by Pepsi-Cola to advertise Pepsi.

there's a reason - Grape Nuts cereal

eventually, why not now? - Gold Medal Flour

keep that schoolgirl complexion - Palmolive bath soap

with the milk from contented cows - Carnation Condensed Milk

the flavor lasts - Wrigley's chewing gum

it's toasted - Lucky Strike cigarettes

they're mild and yet they satisfy - Chesterfield cigarettes

now you just know that she wears them - McCallum Silk Hosiery

your dealer will tell you why - Used for numerous and varied ads in many different industries.

goodnight, it's time to retire - Fisk Rubber Company (automotive tires)

with skin that you love to touch - Woodbury's Facial Soap

good for that tired feeling - a common claim of many "patent medicines"

go and ask dad, he knows so much - actually "ask Dad, he knows" - Sweet Caporal cigarettes

they have the best show in town - unknown, probably used by every traveling vaudeville troupe

eat more bread - Fleischmann's Yeast

say it with flowers - Florists' Telegraph Delivery Association, later to become FTD Flowers.

oh, Henry - candy bar

if nature won't, pluto will - actual slogan "when nature won't, Pluto will" Pluto laxative mineral water

Guys, I know that you’re tired, but I need you, all, to close out this week’s theme by bringing in more videos to boot. I’m counting on you to pull out all the stops and make a go at finishing your Road Signs videos with a bang.

I was thinking of Nick Drake's Road but i sat down just down and recorded this instead.
It has the word "stop" in it.

I used the world's cheapest mic with the longest cable.
The cable never got untangled. still works.

Thanks for hosting, Dave!

EDIT: my version is after Jerry Garcia's.

Last edited:
Stuck in a traffic jam on the freeway and there is the smell of someone's clutch burning... hope it isn't mine.

I'll be back to look at more of your videos to come. Thank you.

Here’s a beaut from The Replacements. I’m using a partial capo here on the second fret to get a drop D tuning - something I learned from Steve Earle. This is a half step below the original recording (Capo 3)

chords D, GM7, Em, C, A7

Last edited:
Top Bottom