Recommendation for Traditional Hawaiian Music <$500

raylinds

Reaction score
I have been learning traditional Hawaiian songs on a C6 lap steel and want to record some ukulele tracks for rhythm accompaniment. This would mean the Uke would basically just for chords, so I am thinking a soprano would be the way to go, but feel free to offer alternate suggestions.

I am looking for recommendations for something traditional sounding for under $500.

Thanks,
Ray

I think nylon strings would be good. My HF-1 sounds a little less-Hawaiian (more balanced) after I changed the Kamaka nylons with Worth Clears.

A tenor size will give a fuller and larger signal to your mic or pickup. Start with the best signal possible which will give you most leeway to edit and mix.

Martin tenor was the instrument used by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole.

I think the Martin T1K is very nice:
T = tenor
1 = series 1
K = koa

Videos show that groups blend ukulele, classical guitar, and steel guitar to get that Hawaiian sound.

Some ukulele players use a pick to produce a stronger signal when playing with other instruments. You can experiment between picks and fingers if the uke is recorded separately.

Best regards.

Last edited:
A tenor size will give a fuller and larger signal to your mic or pickup. Start with the best signal possible which will give you most leeway to edit and mix.

T = tenor
1 = series 1
K = koa

Videos show that groups blend ukulele, classical guitar, and steel guitar to get that Hawaiian sound.

Some ukulele players use a pick to produce a stronger signal when playing with other instruments. You can experiment between picks and fingers if the uke is recorded separately.

Best regards.
Maybe Kamaka HP-1 or HP-1L ; Soprano Pineapple ?

Last edited:
Ermm…

Ray’s question is about a ukulele to make backing tracks for his Hawaiian guitar stuff. A Hawaiian guitar is a dominant beastie whose solos are usually accompanied by sparse rhythms from ukulele, guitar and bass.

Although any ukulele will be loud enough played from a backing track, when it’s the ukulele’s turn to solo it should sound bold and robust to continue the ambiance.

Ray, before spending $3-500 it may be worthwhile zeroing in on the type of ukulele that would suit your need. Then look for a good choice of that type.
(a) visit a local ukulele group and ask who would like to do some experimenting, or
(b) ask a recording studio for recommendations, or
(d) visit a music store and do a few $20 monthly rentals of different types.

Soundscape of Hawaiian guitars:

Intro to Hawaiian guitar history:

Cheers.

Last edited:
Ermm…

Ray’s question is about a ukulele to make backing tracks for his Hawaiian guitar stuff. A Hawaiian guitar is a dominant beastie whose solos are usually accompanied by sparse rhythms from ukulele, guitar and bass.

Although any ukulele will be loud enough played from a backing track, when it’s the ukulele’s turn to solo it should sound bold and robust to continue the ambiance.

Ray, before spending $3-500 it may be worthwhile zeroing in on the type of ukulele that would suit your need. Then look for a good choice of that type.
(a) visit a local ukulele group and ask who would like to do some experimenting, or
(b) ask a recording studio for recommendations, or
(d) visit a music store and do a few $20 monthly rentals of different types.

Soundscape of Hawaiian guitars:

Intro to Hawaiian guitar history:

Cheers.

Thanks for those videos- very helpful. In fact- the lap steel in the first video is the exact one that I use! I never really thought about soloing with the uke, but I guess it would be nice to keep the option open. I have a home studio and have been recording in it doing a lot of guitars (electric and acoustic). For acoustic guitar, I use one with onboard electronics and like the sound. I was originally planning to go this route with the Uke, but that does not appear to be a popular option. I guess the better ukes don't have the electronics.

T = tenor
1 = series 1
K = koa

Best regards.
That was my first thought- if it's good enough for Bruddah Iz... but I kind of prefer the brighter, thinner tone of the soprano, just sounds more classic Hawaiian to me.

I don't intend to play the uke live so I am not so concerned with volume as I can adjust that in the mix.

Thanks for those videos- very helpful. In fact- the lap steel in the first video is the exact one that I use!

I put a riser nut on a guitar and spent a couple months trying dobro style. It was lots of fun but ultimately decided that my interest is more on singing than learning more instruments. (Learning fiddle is a mix of joy and frustration).

I have a home studio and have been recording in it doing a lot of guitars (electric and acoustic). For acoustic guitar, I use one with onboard electronics and like the sound. I was originally planning to go this route with the Uke, but that does not appear to be a popular option. I guess the better ukes don't have the electronics.

One of our popular ukulele singalong leaders is a professional rockabilly guitarist.

He uses outboard pedal electronics to get great sound from his ukulele.

Cheers.

I have been learning traditional Hawaiian songs on a C6 lap steel and want to record some ukulele tracks for rhythm accompaniment. This would mean the Uke would basically just for chords, so I am thinking a soprano would be the way to go, but feel free to offer alternate suggestions.

I am looking for recommendations for something traditional sounding for under $500.

Thanks,
Ray
C6 is a pretty big deal. If you haven’t already heard of Joel Katz I highly suggest you check him out. He is super knowledgeable and always open to share.

As far as an ukulele suggestion I’d aim for concert size uke if you are looking for a generic background uke to play rhythm. I guess that’s my take on “traditional sounding”. The “imperfections” of the smaller scale uke will elevate and highlight the sustain of the steel. Even if you use a wood bar.

C6 is a pretty big deal. If you haven’t already heard of Joel Katz I highly suggest you check him out. He is super knowledgeable and always open to share.

As far as an ukulele suggestion I’d aim for concert size uke if you are looking for a generic background uke to play rhythm. I guess that’s my take on “traditional sounding”. The “imperfections” of the smaller scale uke will elevate and highlight the sustain of the steel. Even if you use a wood bar.
Check out Romero creations st concert model

Noticed that Joel Katz plays a Mele ukulele .
That would work for raylinds project ; traditional sound .

https://meleukulele.com

Last edited:
Top Bottom