Re: Oscar Schmidt OU53s quality, sound, etc.

vanadium

Reaction score
Re: Oscar Schmidt OU53s quality, sound, etc.

Does anyone have any experience playing an Oscar Schmidt OU53s? It seems like a good mid-level baritone, but I don't think I'll ever get the chance to try one out before I would purchase it online. So far (for me) it's between the OU53s and an Ohana BK-20, which I have played (and like the sound). I like the aesthetics of the OU53s much better, though.

I couldn't find much about this specific model posted before. I am looking to get into the baritone after playing my Kala Mango Tenor for several months. Thanks!

~ Jon

I have one. I also have a kala solid mahogany baritone that I'll use as a comparison. The ou53s is built heavier. I prefer the string spacing on the ou53s over the kala, the kala being more narrow. The finish is nicer on the ou53s. The tuners on both work great. The ou53s has fretboard binding which is a nice feature. The kala is built lighter and is a little better sounding overall but is a times a bit too boomy. My only complaint with the ou53s is that I find the fret wire really small (diameter). Certain brands of strings that are thin are harder to play cleanly on these small frets. Overall its a very nice uke that is very reasonably priced.

Top Bottom