Looking for a case that fits an Oscar Schmidt OUB1 banjolele

dddiam

Reaction score
I am having trouble finding a case or bag for my Oscar Schmidt OUB1 banjolele.

It is concert size, but little larger than most. The tone ring (including tension brackets) is 9" diameter, plus an additional 1/4" for the tailpiece bracket.

The overall length is 24 1/2".

Any ideas about what case or bag would fit, and where to buy one?

I'd suggest trying a mandolin case. I just bought an expensive one at a Guitar Center for my Magic Fluke Firefly banjolele.

IMG_2674-2.JPG

I looked at Oscar's website and they don't show a hard case or bag for it. Odd, they have them for everything else.

My Gold Tone BUC banjo uke came with a nice hard case that would fit your Oscar just fine. It's the same 8 inch head and same scale. They normally sell it separately for IIRC $110. Checking their site for you, I don't see it. Maybe they are out of stock? Right now the only hard case they show is for the DLX banjo uke with the big resonator. You could contact them. contact@goldtone.com

The gig bag does show, but out of stock, for $40. https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldtone/accessories/hbj

1701047570181.png...1701047608112.png...1701047995303.png

Last edited:
dddim, your query just helped me out and cost me some money!

When I got my Gold Tone resonator, I got the only hard case the dealer had so it would ship safer. I never liked it. It barely fits, and other negatives. I won't mention the brand!

Looking for your case, I noticed the Kala regular concert case would be a better case and better fit, and it's on sale - :)

Last edited:
I'd suggest trying a mandolin case. I just bought an expensive one at a Guitar Center for my Magic Fluke Firefly banjolele.

Thanks Besley.
I had thought of a mandolin case, but a mandolin is less than 2" deep. My Oscar Schmidt OUB1 is 3 1/2 inches deep from resonator back to bridge top.

How deep is your Firefly?

EDIT - Kala shows a hard case for $99. Looks identical to my Gold Tone case.

https://kalabrand.com/products/banjo-ukulele-hard-case
Thanks. I will call Kala to make sure. Concert banjoleles can vary in length & resonator depth across brands. I was hoping to find something on Amazon because of their liberal and easy return policy. I purchased one concert banjolele bag, but returned it because it was too short in length.
I am near a Sam Ash and a Guitar Center, so I can take my banjolele into the store to see if they have anything that fits.

I use a Fremont case from Elderly Music. Moderately expensive.

The OP's Oscar has a plate resonator, and guitar type tuners. Elderly doesn't show a Fremont brand. They stock ONE with no name that that says it works with the resonator, but warns that the peghead area is only 3 1/2 inches wide. My Gold Tone banjo uke is 3 3/4 across the tuners, it won't fit.

FWIW - https://www.elderly.com/products/banjo-ukulele-case-ebuc2?variant=26855863418944

View attachment 162040..View attachment 162041
Well, that stinks. This case is over ten years old, maybe it isn't even manufactured any more. This fits in the case very tightly because of the armrest.

Attachments

• case.jpg
    case.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 7
  • case2.jpg
    case2.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 8
The OP's Oscar has a plate resonator, and guitar type tuners. Elderly doesn't show a Fremont brand. They stock ONE with no name that that says it works with the resonator, but warns that the peghead area is only 3 1/2 inches wide. My Gold Tone banjo uke is 3 3/4 across the tuners, it won't fit.

FWIW - https://www.elderly.com/products/banjo-ukulele-case-ebuc2?variant=26855863418944

View attachment 162040..View attachment 162041
You can contact Fremont directly. They sometimes have discontinued stock. I purchased some of their rectangular cases that way

Last edited:
Well, that stinks. This case is over ten years old, maybe it isn't even manufactured any more. This fits in the case very tightly because of the armrest.

I've always used the narrow Vega style rest, starting with my tenor banjos, to avoid the case fit issue.

Elderly has the Gold Tone rest for 8 inch heads for $25. Gold Tone sells them direct, same price. Depends on whether Michigan or Florida is closest.

EDIT: It may not fit every 8 inch banjo uke. The description includes - "NOTE: If you have two hooks spaced between 2-5/8" and 3-3/8" apart, this is likely to work for you. The 2 hooks may be next to each other or have another hook in between them".

1701660882540.png

Last edited:
I've always used the narrow Vega style rest, to avoid the case fit issue. Elderly has the Gold Tone rest for 8 inch heads for $25. Gold Tone sells them direct, same price. Depends on whether Michigan or Florida is closest.

View attachment 162272
I wish I had known about that! My maple one cost $55, and was a bear to mount.

I wish I had known about that! My maple one cost $55, and was a bear to mount.

It might not fit yours anyway. I noticed it has 12 hooks, mine has 16, so I looked it up.

The description includes - "NOTE: If you have two hooks spaced between 2-5/8" and 3-3/8" apart, this is likely to work for you.The 2 hooks may be next to each other or have another hook in between them".

I've added the note to my earlier post.

Last edited:
It might not fit yours anyway. I noticed it has 12 hooks, mine has 16, so I looked it up.

The description includes - "NOTE: If you have two hooks spaced between 2-5/8" and 3-3/8" apart, this is likely to work for you.The 2 hooks may be next to each other or have another hook in between them".

I've added the note to my earlier post.
You're correct, mine has 12 hooks.

I got the Kala case for my resouke last week, and I was so impressed with it, I ordered Kala's banjo uke case. I'll have it tomorrow.

My Gold Tone banjo uke came with a good hard case, but I'm not as happy with it after seeing Kala's quality.

I could use the replaced one for a Gold Tone Little Gem, their plastic body banjo uke doesn't come with a case. You can get it clear, or different color tints. I've pestered them to do a "smoke" tint.

Last edited:
Top Bottom