Pull the trigger on this C1K?

parkingchair

Reaction score
SO, the nearest good shop to me has several Martin C1Ks in stock. I know that the look of the Koa can differ so i ask if there’s one that looks particularly nice or sounds better. (Via email, it’s one state away)

He writes back and says one stood out above the rest - especially relating to the sound and build of the uke. But this uke looks so light in color, wondering if i should buy it. It’s not what I picture in my mind when I think “solid koa uke” - will that be a problem if I ever try to sell it?

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 0.jpeg
    0.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 33
  • C1KUKE 001.jpg
    C1KUKE 001.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 38
  • C1KUKE 002.jpg
    C1KUKE 002.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 35
I've been looking at getting a C1K for a while now as well.
And have a similar issue in that my preferred shop is miles away so I'm unlikely to be able to visit and pick one.

I agree that one looks very light and I wouldn't have picked it out as being koa from the photo.

Sorry I'm not really helping! Is it possible to get them to agree to take it back if you're not happy with the color when it arrives?

It's koa....I've heard some builders say that they prefer the tone of light koa. I guess you can buy with your eyes and see photos of all the available ones or take trust in the salesperson that the tone of this one is special compared to the others.

It's koa....I've heard some builders say that they prefer the tone of light koa. I guess you can buy with your eyes and see photos of all the available ones or take trust in the salesperson that the tone of this one is special compared to the others.

Agreed, you are unlikely to see premium koa on this line. The visual look of the wood has little to do with the tone, so I would take a chance on this one, assuming you trust the perspective of this store. Like anything you buy from a distance, make sure there is a clear return policy in place, because you just never know.

I wouldn't worry about the appearance. Taking a trip to the store would be your best bet, or maybe you can get a sound sample or a sound comparison with the other instruments. There is a used T1K at Gryphon with very light koa too, but it sounds great. You can take a look at http://gryphonstrings.com/instpix/39723/index.php (but it's hard to compare just through photos).

Well, I did it!

Just ordered the uke this morning! Will arrive next week and i will report back! Thanks for the confidence boost!

Top Bottom