Should I pull the trigger on a Lanikai LU-21T or is there something better?

dannyman

Reaction score
Hello All,

Looking for some advice on the right uke to purchase. If you'll let me give you some background, I'd really appreciate your collective expert input. I'll do this in bullet form, so you don't have to read through too much text.

- I have three ukuleles: a concert Washburne I got at Costco about 8 years ago (at the beginning of my ukulele journey), a $60 soprano I bought for my girlfriend (who become my wife), and an Ovation applause Soprano that I bought as I improved.

- I played many gigs with that little Ovation.

- I'd say I'm an intermediate uke player -- I'm adept at all chords (even the less-common ones), and can solo a bit, but I'm no Jake Shimabukuro.

- My wife is pregnant. I want to get a uke that I can play for my children, and the deeper tone of a tenor seems like it will be more soothing and just appeals to me. Also, I want to play to my wife's tummy, and the resonance will help the tones reach baby.

- I was playing music with a friend and they had an LU-21T. I tried it and loved the resonance and overall feeling of playing it, and that made me think I should get one.

SO HERE'S THE QUESTION:
Is the LU-21T one of the best, sub $150, Tenor ukuleles on the market today? If not, please suggest a few alternatives that are superior. Rich, warm, full, resonant tones are the goal here.

Thanks so much in advance for your input. I love this community.

Last edited:
Look on Ebay to view the number of "B" stock, 2nds, and u-fix Lanikai's for sale. $150 is getting pretty close to a Ohana or their first cousin Cordoba tenor with solid mahogany tops. I had the Cordoba but gave it to my granddaughter. I love it with mellow low g. I had this one, and for me, it's a no-brainer. I had intended on installing a bone saddle and Grover tuners, but they aren't necessary. Mine was light, full toned and resonant with good projection. It required no setup work (although some may) and the finish was flawless. Nice deal on this one - maybe! http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cordoba...425775?hash=item4b02513d6f:g:OFEAAOSwzJ5XaFPP.

Here's a nice Ohana solid mahogany topped tenor from MIMS, with a proper setup: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIM-Ohana-T...151061?hash=item2a67cd8e95:g:tlUAAOSwdV1XNfkb

Last edited:
Just my two cents, but I agree with ubulele about Lanikai's quality control. I ordered an LU-21C from Austin Bazaar about a year ago for my mother. 100 bucks for the uke a gigbag, clip on tuner and polish cloth. However when the uke arrived it was clear it had some defects. You could still see the glue under the bridge and under the nut. Worst of all though the nut was glued in off center and there was a sharp edge to the plastic end of it. I was able to sand down the sharp edge and scrape away the excess dried glue and it plays okay... even with the nut off center. I would have sent it back but my mother didn't want to deal with sending it back. For comparison I have a Kala KA-ASAC-T that I bought used on ebay for $250 and frankly its on another level compared to the lanikai. I don't have any high end instruments to compare my Kala to but compared to the Lanikai, the lanikai feels like a toy and the Kala a pro instrument.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!
As I see it, these are the ones still in the running (price shot some of the suggestions out of the water, and I don't want to risk ukes with quality control issues)
- Islander Ukulele AT-4 Ukulele (I like the color)
- MIM: Lanikai Tenor LU-21T (love that she ensures it is set up well, to control for any potential issues)
- KALA KA-T TENOR (loved hearing the sound sample)

Votes? Would ideally keep this as cheap as possible, while not sacrificing dramatically on quality to save a few dollars.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't buy from Amazon just for the fact that the other two would be setup. I totally forgot about Islander so I would be 50/50 on the Islander and Kala IF and only if both are setup. The sound sample really impressed me on the Kala.

I have a Lanikaia LU-22TFM which I got used from a respected UUer. Would not be afraid of getting another in the future.

There are a lot of good used ukes out there which are set-up and ready to go. Odds are that if someone is interested in a particular instrument, there's someone else with it (are close to it) sitting in the closet barely used. Have dealt with several respected UUers, buying-selling-trading, with great results.

Sound samples can be deceptive. I've done a few using only the iPad's internal microphone and the Sound Recorder app. Other use the equivalent of a commercial recording studio which can make a two-by-four with barbed wire sound good. Most use equipment at all points in between. Instruments all sound different in your own home.

SteveZ - absolutely right about sound samples - it will give you an idea, but you'll only get the feel and true sound when you play it.

Between the three - I agree with Kyle23 - ditch the Amazon gamble and go with someone who will ensure your uke plays well. Never played an Islander but hear many good things. I've had success with all of my Kala purchases. I doubt you'd be disappointed with either purchase!

I personally wouldn't buy from Amazon just for the fact that the other two would be setup. I totally forgot about Islander so I would be 50/50 on the Islander and Kala IF and only if both are setup. The sound sample really impressed me on the Kala.
I believe I got mine from HMS, but I linked Amazon as HMS is out of stock on the tenors.HMS was offering theirs with a hs case, so it's actually a better deal . I can do my own set up so it's not a problem for me. I doubt that the Islander needs much tweaking anyway.http://www.theukulelesite.com/islander-tenor-acacia-at-4-w-hard-case.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, everyone!
As I see it, these are the ones still in the running (price shot some of the suggestions out of the water, and I don't want to risk ukes with quality control issues)
- Islander Ukulele AT-4 Ukulele (I like the color)
- MIM: Lanikai Tenor LU-21T (love that she ensures it is set up well, to control for any potential issues)
- KALA KA-T TENOR (loved hearing the sound sample)

Votes? Would ideally keep this as cheap as possible, while not sacrificing dramatically on quality to save a few dollars.

I would not buy from Amazon and get that Lanikai from MIM!

I would not buy from Amazon and get that Lanikai from MIM!

Seconded. Any of your choices bought from Mim/UkeRepublic/HMS is preferable to ordering a ukulele from Amazon.

Top Bottom