Picked It Up Today

I picked up the ukulele today and it feels like I’ve found home!
I used to play mandolin and struggled a lot, but the ukulele was just exactly right for me, too!

I never tried the mandolin (although I do live how they sound!!!), but I've tried lots of other instruments over the years, and yeah, the only one to feel like home is the ukulele!

This forum's a pretty nice home! You'll dig it here!

Thanks for finding us, and thanks for taking the time to say hello!

Welcome, Chiffon! Glad to hear you were able to find the right instrument for you - and that it’s the ukulele. Sounds like you’re going to enjoy your musical journey, and the many things the UU Forum has to offer. :)

Welcome Chiffon! Yes, the mandolin can be challenging, and at its best begs for a certain genre of music. With the ukulele, it seems you can jump into many forms of play and types of music. The uke is a friendly instrument. ☺️

Chiffon, welcome to UU. I also tried the mandolin, it was unfriendly to my fingers. The ukulele suits me just fine, although I recently took up the violin, and I love it!
I hope you enjoy the forum, it's a great place.

Hi All,
From WA state here. I’ve been struggling for 3 months with the mandolin. I picked up the ukulele today and it feels like I’ve found home! I’ll be a sponge on this forum. So glad to be here!
Chiffon
Glad you find the ukulele a good fit.
Mandolin does take time but well worth the effo9rt if you chose to pursue it. Listen to Sierra Hull, she's a mandolin phenom.

I tried the mandolin but found the chords too stretchy for my fingers. The ukulele is much more comfortable and amenable to daily progress. I hope you realize the same thing and enjoy yourself.

Welcome to UU, Chiffon!
I wish you lots of joy getting to know your uke!

Mandowho?

Welcome to the forum, Chiffon! I find mandolin rather too loud and strident for my taste as well. Glad you found us!

Welcome to the forum...people here will fill your sponge with knowledge, advice, and friendliness 😊. You're gonna love the Uke!!

In the early 80s (yeah, last century!) I bought a 'bargain' Rogue mandolin. It was playable (sorta), and I was completely enthralled, but found no support at the time ...you know, electric guitars. Anyway, I still remember playing "Ghost Riders In The Sky." That never left me.

Welcome Aboard!

<edit> Among the others, 6 of my ukuleles are tuned GDAE.
You can throw away the picks and live happily in both worlds.

Last edited:
In the early 80s (yeah, last century!) I bought a 'bargain' Rogue mandolin. It was playable (sorta), and I was completely enthralled, but found no support at the time ...you know, electric guitars. Anyway, I still remember playing "Ghost Riders In The Sky." That never left me.

Welcome Aboard!

<edit> Among the others, 6 of my ukuleles are tuned GDAE.
You can throw away the picks and live happily in both worlds.
Ahhh…GRITS. I still love not only the great tune and lyrics but also the breakfast item acronym. :unsure:

Top Bottom