Ordered another custom Bruce Wei thinline.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
The thinline tenor uke I had Bruce Wei make me last year of all solid acacia with glossy finish turned out to have rather limited projection and resonance because he usually makes the top on the thick side, and the glossy finish (the spalted maple he made me later I asked to thin the top and satin finish, which sounds real good). Also, the acacia brown color leans toward the brown of my Lanikai Bocoté, one member of my group even thought one was the other. I always like each of my instruments to be distinct, so I decided tonight to have Bruce make me another thinline of all solid mahogany and asking that it be on the red side, attached is the sample I sent. He gave me a discount because of the acacia, $805 including express shipping, 50 day turnaround.

He actually offered to take back the acacia and replace the top with a thinner one at his expense, but noted that the glossy finish does limit the resonance. A very generous offer, but I think I'm going to raffle it to the members of my group, with all the proceeds going to The Ukulele Kids Club.

BWA gloss thinline a.koa.jpg
Mahogany 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats on the upcoming new uke. Separately, if it were me, I’d have a hard time letting go of the acacia thinline. Projection issues aside, it’s a beautiful instrument.

The thinline tenor uke I had Bruce Wei make me last year of all solid acacia with glossy finish turned out to have rather limited projection and resonance because he usually makes the top on the thick side, and the glossy finish (the spalted maple he made me later I asked to thin the top and satin finish, which sounds real good). Also, the acacia brown color leans toward the brown of my Lanikai Bocoté, one member of my group even thought one was the other. I always like each of my instruments to be distinct, so I decided tonight to have Bruce make me another thinline made of all mahogany and asking that it be on the red side, attached is the sample he sent. He gave me a discount because of the acacia, $805 including express shipping, 50 day turnaround.

He actually offered to take back the acacia and replace the top with a thinner one at his expense, but noted that the glossy finish does limit the resonance. A very generous offer, but I think I'm going to raffle it to the members of my group, with all the proceeds going to The Ukulele Kids Club.

View attachment 169137
View attachment 169138

That's beautiful!

Just want to point out how good Bruce is. He sent me the details of the order, I made a few modifications, and it's now in progress. I think he's very professional and does very good work. If anyone plans to have him make a uke, be sure to specify to make the top thinner for better resonance.

BWA Mahogany thinline.jpg

Last edited:
Oooooh. Can't wait to see it Mike. I'm sure it will be another beauty. (y)

Top Bottom