Ordered another harmonica mic.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
Years ago I bought a Shaker Mad-Cat harmonica mic, which has served me very well playing with my uke group. I play blues for a couple songs in our constantly changing set lists and always hold the harmonica in my hands, never in a rack. The Mad-Cat is very compact and one of the things that makes it useful is a volume control, but it has a long 1/4" cable permanently attached, to which I will add an extension to get to an amp or a mixer as is necessary.

Over the last few years I've gone almost completely wireless with various pod type rigs for my instruments, mics, mixer, and also power banks for my amps. Only the harmonica has a cable. Yesterday I was surfing the net and came across another of Shaker's mics, the Dynamic XLR. As soon as I saw it, I knew it would work for me with my wireless mic pod, which are XLR. I'm going to attach a Velcro loop to make it easier to hold. The rig is only 6.5" long. As soon as it arrives, I'll followup on this post. Here is a mockup of the Dynamic XLR and a photo of the Mad-Cat.

Shaker wireless mockup.jpg Shaker Mad-Cat.jpg

Last edited:
I received the XLR mic yesterday (my mockup was pretty accurate). Added the Velcro loop for my pinky and tested it, works great. I can easily reach the volume control with the pinky of my other hand. I'm a happy camper.

Shaker XLR wireless.jpg

Nice. I like the Velcro finger strap!
I play a number of different types of harmonicas during gigs including 24 hole tremolos, 10 hole diatonics, in a brace, and chromatic slide harps. I’ve been using a Shure SM57A with a mic stand for the last 25 years or so.
Occasionally I will clip one of my “blues style” harmonicas into a “Strnad” harmonica mic. Sounds great, and has volume control. I’ve had mine since the mid ‘90s and they haven’t made them for 10 years now. Used ones are bringing around $250 now. (I don’t remember what I paid for mine, but it wouldn’t have been anywhere close to that…)0A3B6AF4-DCFF-4C50-B433-F533B8398F6E.jpeg

Those are very cool. I've never seen such like, 'course, I can't play the mouth harp.

Top Bottom