Old Dog, New Tricks

I wish lane splitting was legal here in Texas. Most of the time, there's no issue, as traffic is sparse enough. But in the metro areas, it can get really backed up. Sitting in your car, with air conditioning, and stereo entertainment is one thing. Sitting on a motorcycle, having to balance the weight with your feet, in the heat, and breathing all the exhaust fumes is something else. Car drivers who complain about motorcycle filtering ought to be made to experience about 20 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic while riding a bike. I think most of them would soften their opinion about it.
I agree completely. I lived in Los Angeles for five years in the 90s and a motorcycle was my only transportation. Being from Texas, lane splitting was new to me and my first time giving it a try was not great (I had taken my helmet off and attached it to the side hook and as I went between cars I kept hearing an odd thud. When I finally "felt" the thud I realized I was smacking car fenders as I rode by) It was an embarrassing learning experience. But once I got the hang of it, it was wonderful.

Motorcycles have a greater power-to-weight ratio than most cars and usually leave them behind from a standing start. So letting them go to the head of the line at stop lights not only made more room in backed-up traffic, but let the motorcycles get out of the way much faster.

I live in a state where lane splitting is legal. It makes me so nervous. Luckily it seems like all the riders around here have very loud bikes, so they almost never sneak up on me.

Yesterday I was going for a drive and got stuck in some bumper-to-bumper traffic. The local chapter of a motorcycle club was in the lane next to me, and one of the gentleman had a doggy basket strapped to his backseat with the cutest little fluffy Pomeranian puppy in it, who looked like he was having the time of his life.
The majority of dirt motorcycles are not street legal, therefore you can't ride them on public roads. Only on private property, such as 2 stroke dirt bike here, if you have permission. Dual sports, on the other hand, are both street legal and designed for off-road use, so you may ride them in public.

To ride a motorcycle on the street, you must obtain a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's licence. To obtain this, you must first complete a motorcycle course and pass a test.

Last edited:
I'll be 76 in three weeks, God willing. I am serious about learning to play better Ukulele, and I work at it at least a little every day. But the progress is so slow, and it seems so hard. Oh how I wish I had been one of those lucky kids who had a Uke thrust into his chubby little hands at age 6. But, no such luck for me. I was middle aged before I touched my first Uke. And, I didn't actually start working at it until after I was 65. Now, that's 10 years, and one would think that I should be able to play up a storm by now. But, it just doesn't work that way. At my age, every little improvement comes at great expense of time and effort. Lately, I've been working on Travis picking. So simple. Except, it's like a tongue twister for my fingers. I can get my thumb going, and my index finger. Then, when I try to add in the melody line, the whole thing falls apart. I know it's just a matter of practice and time. The problem is that at my age it's taking more and more time to learn, and I have less and less time left in which to accomplish it. I guess I shouldn't complain, though. I enjoy playing, and after all, that's the point of the whole exercise, right?
All you can do is practice - and watch "picking" videos on YouTube. Try one simple pattern until you've got it down cold. Teachers often recommend practicing that pattern while you're watching TV, driving, waiting in the doctor's office, etc. You don't need a uke - just moving fingers.

I tend to overthink things in general. To be effective with my playing, whether strumming or fingerstyle, I have to break it down and play it over and over until I no longer have to think about it it comes automatically.

I get all fumble-fingered and confused when a new strum pattern or picking pattern is introduced at our uke club or at a uke fest. There are others my age that can hear it and see it demonstrated once or twice and they are in the groove. Not me, I have to write it down, or I forget it. Then go home and slowly break it down and work it out so my fingers remember.

Chord melody was way out of reach. Now, I'm starting to understand it and oh so slowly picking up on parts of it. (No pun intended.) It will be quite a while before I can actually play anything using it. But, it's interesting and I'll work on it a little at a time.

While trying to memorize some chords and the fretboard. Again, so my fingers automatically know where to go and I don't have to think about it.

Meanwhile, I play a song or two and have fun in between the practice.

Play a little every day. Buy Ukuleles for the grandkids and teach them what you know. Go for a walk in the woods and take your ukulele. Don’t worry, be happy. Age is but a number.

I'm doing it! Putting Ukes into the little hands of 11 and 12 year olds! May they all become makers of music... And no regrets!

I consider ukes great in their own right, but also useful as a "gateway drug" pointing towards other stringed instruments.

If my students end up playing guitar, violin or bass... I never hold it against them! ;-)

Top Bottom