Old Dog, New Tricks

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'll be 76 in three weeks, God willing. I am serious about learning to play better Ukulele, and I work at it at least a little every day. But the progress is so slow, and it seems so hard. Oh how I wish I had been one of those lucky kids who had a Uke thrust into his chubby little hands at age 6. But, no such luck for me. I was middle aged before I touched my first Uke. And, I didn't actually start working at it until after I was 65. Now, that's 10 years, and one would think that I should be able to play up a storm by now. But, it just doesn't work that way. At my age, every little improvement comes at great expense of time and effort. Lately, I've been working on Travis picking. So simple. Except, it's like a tongue twister for my fingers. I can get my thumb going, and my index finger. Then, when I try to add in the melody line, the whole thing falls apart. I know it's just a matter of practice and time. The problem is that at my age it's taking more and more time to learn, and I have less and less time left in which to accomplish it. I guess I shouldn't complain, though. I enjoy playing, and after all, that's the point of the whole exercise, right?

I have this weird problem where I'll be doing something perfectly, but the second I realize I am, or start to think about what my fingers are doing, it all falls to pieces. I'll enter this weird limbo where I'm desperately trying not to think about what I'm doing, which just makes me think about what I'm doing more, and then my fingers forget that they were doing something and it's gone.

The same thing seems to happen whenever I try to record myself. I'll play a piece perfectly 10 times, but the second I hit that record button, my hands are like, "what even are hands? What is a ukulele?" It's very frustrating.

However, when I pick up the uke the next day and flawlessly perform something I had been struggling with the night before; those moments are wonderful and keep me going back time and time again.

I have this weird problem where I'll be doing something perfectly, but the second I realize I am, or start to think about what my fingers are doing, it all falls to pieces. I'll enter this weird limbo where I'm desperately trying not to think about what I'm doing, which just makes me think about what I'm doing more, and then my fingers forget that they were doing something and it's gone.

The same thing seems to happen whenever I try to record myself. I'll play a piece perfectly 10 times, but the second I hit that record button, my hands are like, "what even are hands? What is a ukulele?" It's very frustrating.

However, when I pick up the uke the next day and flawlessly perform something I had been struggling with the night before; those moments are wonderful and keep me going back time and time again.
I’m the exact same way! I’ll get into my own head and start fumbling. Same with recording too!

I'll be 76 in three weeks, God willing. I am serious about learning to play better Ukulele, and I work at it at least a little every day. But the progress is so slow, and it seems so hard. Oh how I wish I had been one of those lucky kids who had a Uke thrust into his chubby little hands at age 6. But, no such luck for me. I was middle aged before I touched my first Uke. And, I didn't actually start working at it until after I was 65. Now, that's 10 years, and one would think that I should be able to play up a storm by now. But, it just doesn't work that way. At my age, every little improvement comes at great expense of time and effort. Lately, I've been working on Travis picking. So simple. Except, it's like a tongue twister for my fingers. I can get my thumb going, and my index finger. Then, when I try to add in the melody line, the whole thing falls apart. I know it's just a matter of practice and time. The problem is that at my age it's taking more and more time to learn, and I have less and less time left in which to accomplish it. I guess I shouldn't complain, though. I enjoy playing, and after all, that's the point of the whole exercise, right?
Boy, George, I just couldn’t agree more. Old age is not the time to learn new stuff. I had a really good day today, but that certainly doesn’t happen every session.

I'll be 76 in three weeks, God willing. I am serious about learning to play better Ukulele, and I work at it at least a little every day. But the progress is so slow, and it seems so hard. Oh how I wish I had been one of those lucky kids who had a Uke thrust into his chubby little hands at age 6.

The problem is that at my age it's taking more and more time to learn, and I have less and less time left in which to accomplish it. I guess I shouldn't complain, though. I enjoy playing, and after all, that's the point of the whole exercise, right?

At 76, you've got no time to waste. If you really want to learn travis picking (or whatever), then you should find a teacher ASAP. You're not like those 6 yr olds with "chubby little hands", they can diddle-daddle and do whatever they want because they've got decades and decades ahead of them. You, my dear UU fellow member, need make every day/every hour count.

The other side of the coin is that if someone stuck one in your hand at age 6, you might never go near one today. My life lesson on this goes back to about then when I took piano lessons. 30 minutes supposed practice a day with weekly lessons where my shortcomings (from not practicing 30 minutes daily) were exposed.

Now I play my uke when I want and what I want. I do not perform publicly and find songs that I want to play and do them how I want, usually poorly. And I enjoy it!

So travis pick if you want or don't if you want. Do it where you are just okay at it or do it where you are good at it. Do it if you enjoy it and stop when it is no longer enjoyable. Because you are right: it is the point of the whole exercise. After all, when you get decent at travis picking, then what?

I try to enjoy playing "where I am" on the ukulele continuum, and there is no question that it takes longer for a song to embed in my brain and hands. Fingerstyle will always be a challenge. Some days are better than others.

I try to keep in mind that music is a practice in the same way that yoga is a practice. You're never done with it, so enjoy the ride. The arc of that practice is life long, so I try to practice associating joy and happiness with it, rather than dread and frustration. It took me ten years of my youth to get really confident with the piano. I may not have that much time for the uke, so I try to go easy on myself.

We are blessed with a myriad of online videos of wonderful artists playing the ukulele. That's a blessing and a curse. It's easy to watch someone so facile with those strings and realize how I may sound to others. Cory, Kalei and Mika constantly amaze me.

The Seasonistas are a real inspiration to me. All levels of players who aren't going to let anything block them from having fun with a uke. I watch them and think, "That's the way to do it. Just strum, pick, whale at it and let it rip."

Cheers to you, George. I'm gonna go whale at it now.

Bluesy.

I find that closing my eyes helps me relax and gives the piece more flow and smoother transitions versus watching my fingers while I play.
Unfortunately, I shouldn't do that while playing with our band or recording something...

If putting something in the hands of a six year old was the road to greatness I would be a world champion calf roper and both my kids would be concert pianists. I don't think it works that way.

Last edited:
If putting something in the hands of a six year old was the road to success I would be a world champion calf roper and both my kids would be concert pianists. I don't think it works that way.
Well, for sure it doesn't "work that way" all the time, or perhaps even very often. I've just noticed that the players who really shine on any instrument usually have been playing it since childhood. Of course in the Ukulele world, there are a number of great players who were Guitar players before switching to the Uke. It seems a lot of the skills are transferable, at least in that direction.

At 76, you've got no time to waste. If you really want to learn travis picking (or whatever), then you should find a teacher ASAP. You're not like those 6 yr olds with "chubby little hands", they can diddle-daddle and do whatever they want because they've got decades and decades ahead of them. You, my dear UU fellow member, need make every day/every hour count.
Clear, don't hold back, just go ahead and tell him to hang his uke up and start making funeral arrangements. I'm 72 and am more or less starting over and do not feel this sense of urgency that sounds like you think he should feel. How about some positive encouragement.

Clear, don't hold back, just go ahead and tell him to hang his uke up and start making funeral arrangements. I'm 72 and am more or less starting over and do not feel this sense of urgency that sounds like you think he should feel. How about some positive encouragement.
Wow, didn't think I'd get this kind of reaction; my comment isn't a negative comment.. Actually, at 76, it would be prudent to think about funeral and to make final estate planning adjustments.

VegasGeorge wants to "I am serious about learning to play better Ukulele, and I work at it at least a little every day. But the progress is so slow, and it seems so hard." At 76, there is some urgency to make every moment count to reach these longish goals. Getting a teacher can help.

At 70, I am just happy being able to play competently with our band, and am not concerned with mastering the ukelele. My main instrument is harmonica, and that I'm pretty good at...

Last edited:
Ultimately the objective is to enjoy yourself and any advance in playing ability is just icing on the cake. Pick up your Uke and don’t fuss much but rather focus on what you can do rather than hanker about what you can’t. I’ve been playing Uke for some years now and other instruments for even longer; my satisfaction will never be in being the best player in the music groups that I’m in (‘cause others play better than me) but I gain a lot of satisfaction in making a useful musical contribution to those groups.

Practise helps with maintaining skills and with improving them too. I pick both old favourites and other pieces to attempt, my failures I try to learn from and from my successes I look at what I’m doing right and what might be more polished / how could my technique be improved. There’s always something to learn but subtle things often escape our attention, sometimes we have some light bulb moments and wonder why we’ve not discovered ‘xyz’ before. Do Teachers help? Very possibly but only if your are able to match your learning style, your learning pace and your musical interests with what they have to offer ... the Student needs to be able to afford the tuition too and good Teachers don’t come cheap.

Old Dogs can learn new tricks it’s just a case of harnessing the will and learning in the best way for that old Hound. Enjoy the journey and be content with the prospect of not finishing it - few people ever do finish.

Last edited:
72 here, but that does not hold me back.

I'm still (since 1978), DJ-ing gigs and tearin' it up, calling barn dances for those socially inclined, and totally immersed for my own enjoyment in 'these-here-ukie-thangs.'

As Mickey-D's says: "I'm lovin' it!"

--> Y'all sing along, now!

I Don't Need Your Rocking Chair chords - George Jones

CHOROUS(

G) I DON'T NEED YOUR ROCKING (C) CHAIR
YOUR GERITOL OR YOUR (G) MEDICARE
I STILL GOT NEON IN MY (D) VEINS
THIS GRAY HAIR DON'T MEAN A (G) THING
I DO MY ROCKING ON THE (C) STAGE
CANT PUT THIS POSSUM IN A (G) CAGE
MY BODY'S OLD BUT IT AIN'T (D) IMPAIRED
I DON'T YOUR ROCKING (G) CHAIR

VERSE 1:

I AINT READY FOR THE JUNKYARD (D) YET
CAUSE I STILL FEEL LIKE A NEW (G) CORVETTE
MIGHT TAKE A LITTLE LONGER BUT I'LL GET (D) THERE
NO I DON'T YOUR ROCKING (G) CHAIR

CHORUS

VERSE 2:

RETIREMENT DON'T FIT IN MY (D) PLAN
YOU CAN KEEP YOUR SEAT IM GONNA (G) STAND
AN ESKIMO NEEDS A (D) FRIGIDAIRE
LIKE I NEED YOUR ROCKING (G) CHAIR

CHORUS X 2

TAG:

MY BODY'S OLD BUT IT AIN'T (D) IMPAIRED
NO I DON'T YOUR ROCKING (G) CHAIR

Last edited:
Wow, didn't think I'd get this kind of reaction; my comment isn't a negative comment.. Actually, at 76, it would be prudent to think about funeral and to make final estate planning adjustments.

VegasGeorge wants to "I am serious about learning to play better Ukulele, and I work at it at least a little every day. But the progress is so slow, and it seems so hard." At 76, there is some urgency to make every moment count to reach these longish goals. Getting a teacher can help.

I can understand a younger man thinking that and whilst I wouldn’t dispute the logic I would wonder just how helpful such well intended thoughts are. At any age it is prudent to think about funeral and estate planning, you don’t have to be old to die and a non small percentage of people die well before they reach even retirement age. Is 76 really that old? I’ve a pal who’s just turned 90 and he’s still playing music and very active, we all go sometime but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if George was still posting and playing in 14 and more years time. Plan ahead, but also accept the uncertainty of life and enjoy the days that you’re given.

Last edited:
Wow, this thread took a dark turn.

@VegasGeorge if it makes you feel any better, I'm in my early thirties and I have the same thoughts as you. I wish I would have started playing much, much earlier. I only picked up the uke because I failed at the steep learning curve of guitar. Of course, now I love the ukulele so much I don't know if I'll ever go back to guitar. As long as you enjoy playing, you're doing just fine. When you get frustrated, just play something that puts a smile on your face and relax. You're still winning.

I feel your pain George. I found, and fell in love with, the uke later in life too and I feel like I've been trying to catch up ever since. Catch up to what I'm not sure, but I just wanted to play as well as anyone else. I played so much that my new wife started calling herself a "ukulele widow" to our friends.

But all that trying to catch up came with a price. I've had two surgeries on my fretting hand/wrist and need a couple more, mostly for overused tendons. So, I had to quit playing for months at a time. It was frustrating, but it made me slow down and really examine what I wanted. I've had to limit my playing and focus on the music that I love to play, and to play to the best of my current abilities. I may never get to the level of proficiency that I want, but I keep trying because it's still so much fun. I start to play and I just get lost in the experience. But at the first twinges of pain it's time to quit.

And here's an interesting article about effective practicing that I've adopted and found it to be really helpful.

I personally did not take your comment to be negative, and personally resonated with it a good deal. I am 56, and have been playing seriously (whatever that means) for a couple of years now. I could not agree more--a teacher (or teachers, one and then moving on to the next) makes all the difference in the world (says this college professor--clearly I am biased :)). The great thing about a teacher, or teachers, is that learning can be a bit more systematic and a lot less haphazard then trying to do it on your own.

I also deeply resonate with the wish that I had started earlier. I did take guitar lessons and played when I was a teen and at different points throughout my life, so I do some some "intuitive" feel that I would not have gotten had I not started then. It is the same thing, for me, with languages. I am fluent in Spanish now in large part to having learned a good deal when I was younger, and then systematically worked at it in my 40s.

I also related to the desire to really grow a lot in my playing all the time, and feeling like time is off the essence. It is why I try to mix play with practice, and try to do at least one thing every day that is new and that I don't do well.

Cheers.

Top Bottom