New Uke Day (NUD) NUD: Mahimahi MS-3X

pondweed

Reaction score
Well, Mercantino dell'ukulele have just got a 5 star review. It's been about 10 years since I bought a properly new instrument and all the chat about the Mahimahi 7M led me to have a look through their wares in lovely Italy. (well, on the website, ok) I managed to pick what must have been the end of a range, as we are now in 2023 and someone on youtube posted this back in 2017:
Ok, so it was heavily discounted, but it's all solid, big bodied and has a subtly curved back. And I picked it out the box and it played absolutely fine; grover tuners with nice small buttons - nothing not to like. Chunky; same thickness as an old-school Aria 250 Concert. So has anyone got one? I picked it as it looked a bit of a sad pup; striking design that makes it seem a bit dumpy, but why for me it makes a straight classic as it's not trying to be anything else. I really love it in the way I loved an SK35 for playing, but with the groan that they were everywhere. Aquilas on it presently (surprise!) and I'm fine with them, though would like to know what any other owners have gravitated to.
I don't understand the differences in all the mahimahi logos though - I'll do a review when I've pieced together a bit more of how the Aquila ukulele vision has developed between then and now.

well that's interesting. So they obviously didn't sell many! The linkage to this 'fatty' prototype too, showing the use of the Ohana initial idea, rejigged in simpler, less expensive form. One can see that the overall visual balance of the instrument may be a big influence on whether they catch on, even if they are a tremendous player: Ohana Soprano SK-6, prototype, rare

Nice! A couple of months ago I got the tenor version of that same model... also at Mercatino website. Cannot imagine a better deal for an all solid uke!

At first I didn't pay much attention to this brand, but then I was very surprised to see some very good reviews at Barry Maz blog.

Last edited:
Top Bottom