NUD: Mahimahi

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Baz was right. This is a very nice little uke. It arrived a day early from Italy yesterday. The construction is perfect. As for the sound, it's loud, and it has a decent amount of sustain. Listening to it, you wouldn't think it was a soprano. I wonder if I should puit Ratio tuners on it. I wish they had more choices of style. I'm not confident in those plastic posts, but I don't want to spend $80 for Gotohs.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg

I don't know why but to me that mahogany body and rosewood (?) fretboard look extremely classy. What a nice little soprano for not a lot of money. If I was looking for a beater/travel soprano this would be up there on my list.

I agree on the tuners. The Ratio tuners would probably suit this one very well.

Question: Do you buy every uke Baz does a review on? 😆

Nice looking instrument and certainly seems like a good price. Where did you order it from?

One option for tuners are the DerJung planetary tuners that are showing up on various instruments, including the Millar-Phil Doleman model. They are supposed to be a good tuner that works well at a lower cost. I see them in a couple of places including ebay and Amazon

GONice looking instrument and certainly seems like a good price. Where did you order it from?

One option for tuners are the DerJung planetary tuners that are showing up on various instruments, including the Millar-Phil Doleman model. They are supposed to be a good tuner that works well at a lower cost. I see them in a couple of places including ebay and Amazon

I just put a set of DerJung planetary tuners on my Gold Tone Little Gem. I am quite pleased with them. The feel almost identical the Gotoh's that I have on a couple of Sopranos. I sourced them from Magic Guitar Parts. The shipping was reasonable from Germany but I purchased a few other things as well. Excellent service, great communication and they didn't take that long to arrive.

Those stock Grover tuners are pretty solid. My favorite non-pricey geared tuners. One of our local music shops uses them as their default replacements when that’s required.

Nice looking instrument and certainly seems like a good price. Where did you order it from?

Those Der Jungs look good. $35.00, but ouch, $27.50 shipping.

Question: Do you buy every uke Baz does a review on? 😆
Is Jerry trying to keep up with Baz, or is it the reverse? 😊

Glad you like it! As a resident of Hawaii, the logo makes me laugh a little. They named their uke after a fish native to our waters, but then the logo is a dolphin, not a mahimahi lol. It's like naming your uke "Lion" and putting a monkey on the headstock.

Those Der Jungs look good. $35.00, but ouch, $27.50 shipping.
Yeah, sort of negates any cost advantage. I keep looking for somewhere that either has free shipping or a reasonable price here in the US

Yeah, sort of negates any cost advantage. I keep looking for somewhere that either has free shipping or a reasonable price here in the US
the 'bay has generics from Taiwan for $35-40 plus $13 shipping, a little better

I think I need one of these! Congrats Jerry.

Top Bottom