Setup Now-fully-repaired Famous (Kiwaya laminate) FU-120P

I'm rather fond of the crab, myself, but conceptually love the visual pun of the pine apple.
Thanks for the clue! It whizzed by me when I first read it, but I get it now. I like it too. It would surely elevate this ukulele from famous to fabulous stature.

The clownfish motif is the most striking. I like that the helmsman has a ukulele handy for when he is standing at the wheel, becalmed. But maybe the Dole Pineapple would be cool, too?

I’m debating with myself about painting the soundboard. If I do it, I won't do another yowling cat because one copy of Kenny Hill's 1971-copyrighted Yowl-A-Lele is enough.

When cartoonist, teacher and musician Robert Armstrong first painted his cartoons on ukes in the mid- 1960’s, he only painted cheapies found at flea markets and yard sales, and only much later paired up with Kenny Hill of Hill Guitars to ramp up to custom versions. My favorite Armstrong design is Through-The-Keyhole.

Here are the three soundhole- oriented designs I'm presently considering, and a fourth tongue-in-cheek option is either a can of Dole pineapple or a thicket of pine trees bearing apples🤔
If you feel strongly that I should go with one of these rather than "Yowling Thomette", please let me know.
OPTION 1 - Clownfish
View attachment 156216
OPTION 2 - Tall ship helm
View attachment 156220
OPTION 3 - Clarence Crab
View attachment 156221
I like No. 1.

I’m debating with myself about painting the soundboard. If I do it, I won't do another yowling cat because one copy of Kenny Hill's 1971-copyrighted Yowl-A-Lele is enough.

When cartoonist, teacher and musician Robert Armstrong first painted his cartoons on ukes in the mid- 1960’s, he only painted cheapies found at flea markets and yard sales, and only much later paired up with Kenny Hill of Hill Guitars to ramp up to custom versions. My favorite Armstrong design is Through-The-Keyhole.

Here are the three soundhole- oriented designs I'm presently considering, and a fourth tongue-in-cheek option is either a can of Dole pineapple or a thicket of pine trees bearing apples🤔
If you feel strongly that I should go with one of these rather than "Yowling Thomette", please let me know.
OPTION 1 - Clownfish
View attachment 156216
OPTION 2 - Tall ship helm
View attachment 156220
OPTION 3 - Clarence Crab
View attachment 156221
I love all three especially the clown fish, that one is a bit mind bending! I think if I chose one I'd pick the ship deck because I love ships!

To Kiwaya’s credit, they DID respond but only to confirm that they discontinued the Famous brand in the 1990’s, and offered to replace the bridge if I personally delivered the uke to their factory.

A Kiwaya rep also provided bridge dimensions for a modern (not laminate) pineapple soprano.

EDIT: In all fairness, since I (a) have no documentation of uke ownership, (b) am a minimum of 3 decades down the line and (c) am presumably situated on the opposite side of the planet from the original owner [this uke unexpectedly showed up in a hardshell case @Ernie had purchased - case only - from a seller based in Eastern Asia], the fact that Kiwaya responded in any manner entailed a far greater degree of courtesy and customer service than I expected or deserved.

Last edited:
This observation is in no way intended as “sour grapes” but I just noticed that the visible inside surface of the Famous uke’s back is the material I generally refer to as “Masonite” or MDF (medium density fiberboard). I suppose that shouldn’t have surprised me but, my primary frame of reference being the Yowling Tom kit, I previously thought of “laminate” as synonymous with plywood or having plywood as its base material to which a faux woodgrain veneer is affixed.

Yet another uke learning experience.

Last edited:
That's a revelation. Is there purfling? It's like you said, a learning experience.
The extent of purling is thin, non-notched strips of Masonite. There is a neck joint block and a strap button block but no bridge block. I’m really flummoxed by the lack of a bridge block.

fantastic result on all counts, Clark. very pleased for you brother!
huge shout out to Ernie and Brad too.
(oops - and Ed and Renaissance Man!)
as to your next painted uke - i vote for the clownfish 🙂
just as a side note, Peter Hurney built an awesome Dole pineapple soprano some years back, i'll see if i can find it...

The extent of purling is thin, non-notched strips of Masonite. There is a neck joint block and a strap button block but no bridge block. I’m really flummoxed by the lack of a bridge block.
Mahalo everyone, I am glad I was able to help. I am somewhat alarmed by the lack of a bridge plate, which likely had a hand in the bridge failure in the first place. If there are no braces in the way, I would consider adding one. This is a case where rare earth magnets are great.
Brad

Mahalo everyone, I am glad I was able to help. I am somewhat alarmed by the lack of a bridge plate, which likely had a hand in the bridge failure in the first place. If there are no braces in the way, I would consider adding one. This is a case where rare earth magnets are great.
Brad
Thanks, Brad, for the guidance. There are no braces in the way, and I have an idea of how to relatively easily retro-fit a bridge plate. My interim concern is how well Tite Bond will adhere to MDF on either the plate side or the top. I suppose that remains to be seen but tempts me to go with CA glue instead.

Brad
Thanks, Brad, for the guidance. There are no braces in the way, and I have an idea of how to relatively easily retro-fit a bridge plate. My interim concern is how well Tite Bond will adhere to MDF on either the plate side or the top. I suppose that remains to be seen but tempts me to go with CA glue instead.
I would stick with Titebond (Pun intended). Let me know if you can use this. Will only cost me a stamp to mail it to you. One way to insure correct alignment is to drill a couple of tiny holes in the top and use old string to pull up the plate against the top, then magnets to clamp. The holes won’t show as you plan to paint it anyway.IMG_5438.jpeg

I would stick with Titebond (Pun intended). Let me know if you can use this. Will only cost me a stamp to mail it to you. One way to insure correct alignment is to drill a couple of tiny holes in the top and use old string to pull up the plate against the top, then magnets to clamp. The holes won’t show as you plan to paint it anyway.View attachment 156331
Thank you for the kind offer, and for the additional guidance. Please mail at your convenience.
Mahalo, brah!
Clark

I’ve settled on an original “SPAM-ous with pineapple” motif that will feature a can of SPAM between bridge and soundhole, and a slice of grilled pineapple around the soundhole behind & above that.

For now, I’ve loosened the strings to remove tension while awaiting delivery of Brad’s bridge block.

The Eagle has landed. Well, in this case, it’s more of a pigeon but you get the gist.;)
Thanks to @Ernie for the uke itself, to @BuzzBD for making and shipping the new mahogany bridge, to @Renaissance-Man for giving me the heads-up about the uke in the first place and for your kind words of encouragement, thanks to @EDW for suggesting that I contact Brad (BuzzBD), to Kevin Beddoe of John Kinnard Guitars for bridge removal guidance, to Ken Timms for his wonderfully well-made bridge installation video.
I think this is the video of Bridge installation.

I’ve settled on an original “SPAM-ous with pineapple” motif that will feature a can of SPAM between bridge and soundhole, and a slice of grilled pineapple around the soundhole behind & above that.

For now, I’ve loosened the strings to remove tension while awaiting delivery of Brad’s bridge block.
While you are waiting for the bridge patch, fit your magnets with dowel handles as shown in the picture. This makes working with them easier.

IMG_5450.jpeg

Top Bottom