Fully insured?

This appears to be one of those cases where the luthiers understand the post one way, the rest of us another.

I wouldn't have taken that question to be an insult - I would have figured a little paranoia on the part of the customer, but I saw it as a question like this: "Is my instrument covered in the event of fire/theft/vandalism/etc. while it is in your possession."

It appears the luthiers see the question this way: "When you make a royal cock-up of my precious instrument, are you covered for the liability so I can make you pay for your incompetence?"

The written word has no body language or inflection to go along with it - so those to whom Pete was probably addressing his story (his luthier peers) understood simply by context. The rest of us wanted to attack Pete because we didn't understand the story from his professional point of view.

Contempt?.............

Lol!

It isn't anyone's first week on the internet. If our "tone" isn't understood then it is up to us to clarify using our words, like big kids.

A simple "of course I carry insurance against flood and fire, but that doesn't cover workmanship. I would hope that my reputation as a craftsman would be reassuring to a prospective client" would have made a lot more sense to me personally.

I am guilty of being a looky loo in LL, mostly because I click "new posts" rather than go thru each subforum. Perhaps if the pro's area was under password or otherwise segregated, there would be no need to clarify matters to a lay person's level.

I can understand that it may be frustrating to break things down to that level, but those who do so earn respect, and interest in their product.

There ya go. Another two cents you didn't ask for. ;)

No real upside to being contemptuous with prospective customers. Just my opinion. As the "Godfather" would say, "it's business, it's not personal"

^^^ Professional Tattoo Artist!

One thing I've learned in my short time here Pete and his rants are always good for a laugh.

~AL-oha~

Last edited:
Talking about one's own reputation is funny to me. I can't imagine a single luthier playing a lot of custom instruments so how do you decide who is reputable? Being on UU makes you well respected? Obviously there are lots of luthiers not on UU so does the squeaky wheel dictates respect?

Talking about one's own reputation is funny to me. I can't imagine a single luthier playing a lot of custom instruments so how do you decide who is reputable? Being on UU makes you well respected? Obviously there are lots of luthiers not on UU so does the squeaky wheel dictates respect?

For me? There are plenty of fine luthiers not on UU. Respect is earned, not just given.

Here? I read things here and that adds to the luthiers's reputation. How are the products they make reviewed? Have I seen pictures of their work? There are certain luthiers on UU I definitively would trust. However, a fix without shipping around the world isn't really practical. Locally? If I need work done I ask around to people I know who may have had work done. Or go to a reputable music shop for a recommendation.
Lots of people buy lovely instruments most of us really don't know a lot about. But over time, if the luthier's work holds up we will become very knowledgeable about them.
Think of the ones we don't even know about.

Top Bottom