"New" Beatles track just released

We do know that Lennon's estate (Yoko) did intend for this to be part of a reunion project. Yoko gave the cassette to the then remaining 3 for that purpose.

Supposedly, (who knows what is true), the cassette was marked "For Paul". Some say John wrote that and others think maybe Yoko wrote that.
Thanks for the info.

I guess Yoko and Paul have a desire to repair some of the nastiness that took place in the late ‘60s (even though John and Paul reconciled before John’s death). We have a song that might have been a piece of a mini-reunion. It doesn’t stand up to the group’s best work, but if nothing else, it’s a nice artifact AND an example of how machine learning can enhance old recordings without the fakery of autotune and such blasphemy.

I think that the song is partly a tribute to what was, if that makes sense.

John is prominent in the song, of course, but I think it was intentional to not include more Paul, (even his bass is not prominent in the mix - I wish they hadn't buried it quite that much), or Ringo, though his drums come through clearly.

George's guitar part wasn't much since they hadn't worked on this song as much as the other 2, but gets pushed to the forefront at a couple points. Didn't make sense in terms of the song itself IMO, (like I know how to arrange a song, LOL), but I'm guessing it was done to put the focus on George a bit more. (Here he is strumming a guitar - it's all we've got to highlight him so let's make it clear that he's on the recording.)

The string parts are similar to string arrangements that George Martin did, so I see that as a tribute to George Martin.

And of course, there was the huge limitation of needing to keep what John had recorded and then George later added to it.

Vocal harmonies from past songs were added in. They always did those harmonies so well.

Not necessarily all the elements for the greatest song ever, but I think it's a carefully crafted song to honor the late John, George, George Martin, and The Beatles. Listening to it with headphones gave me a chance to hear all the layers - there is a lot there.

Recording this song seemed important to Paul so I hope it gave him some closure. It always seemed to me that he never got over the end of The Beatles or the rift between him and John and George. At least he was on better terms with John and George before they passed away.

I keep waiting for @TimWilson to chime in on this thread. I know he's busy with a billion other things, but he seems like a big fan of The Beatles so I was hoping he could share his thoughts.

George's guitar part wasn't much since they hadn't worked on this song as much as the other 2, but gets pushed to the forefront at a couple points
I'm unsure exactly which parts are actually George. Apparently Paul also played some guitar in George's style in order to expand on what they had, and I'm certainly not knowledgeable and skilled enough to spot the join.

I thought this was a fairly interesting podcast on Now and Then. One of the people taking part had been present at the listening event held prior to the song being released.

I'm unsure exactly which parts are actually George. Apparently Paul also played some guitar in George's style in order to expand on what they had, and I'm certainly not knowledgeable and skilled enough to spot the join.
The slide guitar was Paul trying to play in George's style, based on what I've read/heard. Paul has said this.
The acoustic guitar at the beginning is George.

Both of the above are confirmed by people who supposedly know.

I was guessing that the electric guitar around 1:40 is George and that's why it was pushed up in the mix - but I might have made that up. LOL. 🤷‍♂️

I like it.
I think that the song is partly a tribute to what was, if that makes sense.
I keep waiting for @TimWilson to chime in on this thread.

Whoops, I'd completely missed this! LOL Thanks so much for invoking me, @Joyful Uke! That's what showed up in my alerts to draw me here.

I don't disagree with the notion that this is a John solo song to which four other men added their touches (Giles Martin definitely deserves to be included, both for himself and as a proxy for his father, who wasn't ALWAYS the Fifth Beatle, but on some songs, most emphatically was)....and while that might mean it's not a Beatles song per se, that doesn't mean that there's any less to love.

What jumped out to me is that it's a song ABOUT Paul. It echoes his inadvertent last words to Paul, in what they both surely thought of as a farewell before a long absence would bring them back together soon enough. (One of my favorite parts of the Beatles story is that these two not only reconciled, but had a rather lovely few years in the late 70s simply enjoying each other's company.) "Promise me you'll think of me now and then, old friend," Paul had reported John saying to him in interviews in the early 80s, noting that hearing the phrase "now and then" in a Carl Perkins song not long after John's passing was what broke the dam that he'd built to hold his emotions in check at the time.

One can only imagine how obsessed he'd become with resurrecting the song once he heard the demo, but we don't really have to imagine, do we? Paul's singlemindedness was the only thing holding the band together in the end, even if it also became part of the pressure that broke them apart. When they first heard the tape 30-ish years ago, they just couldn't do anything with it. Increasing the volume also increased the noise and distortion, so that even Paul had to let it go...until he came up with the idea of applying Peter Jackson's technology developed for the Get Back recordings, to isolate the elements with machine learning (AI really isn't the right description, which will stop exactly nobody from using it LOL).

There are ways in which the MAKING of the song is more interesting than the song itself. This 12-minute documentary is a marvel in itself. Quite a few of my favorite bits belong to Giles, who is very blunt that he all but plagiarized his father's string arrangements (and, as he notes, "Who better than me?" LOL), and that he took some "oohs" and "ahhs" for the background vocals from “Here, There and Everywhere,” “Eleanor Rigby” and “Because”. That to me is his greatest gift, displayed so masterfully on The Beatles' Love: his capacity to hear individual elements in songs and connect them to other songs. Anyway, lots of great stuff here, even if you're not nuts about the song.

Rob Sheffield is my favorite writer on The Beatles, and his Dreaming The Beatles: The Love Story of One Band and The Whole World is far and away the best book I've read on them, and I include the extended edition of Mark Lewisohn's Tune In Vol 1 in that. (The 1700 page edition, that is -- although it's a breezy entertaining read that feels more like 4-500 words tops, and VERY highly recommended too!) One of his central theses is that one reason we love The Beatles so much is that we can't help but be drawn into the love they had for each other, especially John and Paul, but certainly among the four of them.

He was also the first author I've seen who's really hammered hard on the notion that love of The Beatles is not only NOT nostalgia for most of their fans, but the fact is that their audience has dramatically expanded over the years, and is bigger now than ever. A favorite data point of mine is that The Beatles 1 CD was the biggest-selling album of 2001 AND 2002!!! And you only have to look at the response to Get Back and McCartney 1-2-3 on Hulu (which is even better than Get Back in some ways) to see that we're on the edge of another big leap in Beatles popularity -- not entirely based on this song alone, but by the expanded Red and Blue albums coming later this month. I still listen to the 1973 versions of those CONSTANTLY, and I remember thinking at the time, "Well, the music audience as a whole is larger, so the impact is diluted, but I swear I think that these guys are bigger now than they were then"....and I still think it.

Anyway, this is a terrific read at Rolling Stone, but their stuff often goes behind paywalls after a couple of days, so here are a few choice quotes:

The real marvel of “Now and Then” is the massive emotional impact of the song itself. If you have any affection for these two men, it’s powerful to hear John and Paul join voices to sing the chorus, “Now and then I miss you.” John’s song is nakedly emotional: “I know it’s true/It’s all because of you/And if I make it through/It’s all because of you.”​
When you hear John sing these lines, you hear the tight connection between these two friends.​
In “Now and Then,” you can hear why McCartney refused to let go of this tune. He clearly heard himself in it, with John singing such a plaintive, aching melody for an old friend far away. Paul knew what he was singing about. And it’s poignant to think of McCartney carrying this unfinished song with him over the decades, unable to give it up, when a less headstrong man would have just let it vanish into the past. But Paul was determined not just to preserve his friend’s song, but to make it a summary of all four Beatles and the history they shared. It’s a tribute to his obsession that he spent so many years making this happen.​
[P]art of the presence of “Now and Then” is the tangible emotional commitment of the Beatles, especially Paul. That obsessive and slightly mad Paul quality is what makes this feel like the authentic Beatles collaboration it is. It’s clear now why he heard the band’s whole story in this song, a scrap everyone else was willing to forget. And you can savor the loving details of how he brought it to life. The idea that this wasn’t worth doing never would have occurred to him. And if it took decades for technology to finally catch up with his dream — well, Paul was willing to put in the time. It’s a tribute to his stubbornly loyal belief in his oldest friend, as well as the unique four-way musical connection the Beatles always had.​

Y'know, I see a lot of people yapping about the songs where they sniped at each other (notably, "Too Many People" vs. "How Do You Sleep?" in 1971, the nadir of their relationship), but I don't think we talk enough about how often they wrote love songs to each other. "Oh! Darling" is still my favorite (and gets BETTER when you hear it as a song that Paul sings TO John....although Paul's songs were more often than not sent in more than one direction...but more often toward John than we typically consider), but this makes the note on the cassette, "To Paul", even more clear.

It doesn't matter whether it was John or Yoko who wrote that on the cassette. Yoko knew. One of my favorite Yoko and Linda stories came early in their relationship, when Linda was trying to make sure that all of the other women around the studio knew that Paul was HERS dammit...and Yoko laughed and said, "Honey, you don't need to worry about any of US", and nodded pointedly at John. :ROFLMAO:

So yeah, I'm never gonna get tired of these two fellas telling us and each other about the love they shared. Not every new discovery has to be the best ever, but they all keep illuminating each other, which is why the light is still growing over 60 years later. It'll be growing for a long time to come.

I know he's busy with a billion other things

Mostly just one: finishing the editing of eight hours of presentation videos for the Chief Residents Summit on Respiratory Disease the weekend after next. LOL Sponsored by the folks at my day job at the Primary Care Education Consortium, so if you know any chief or senior residents in family and internal medicine, point 'em my way. I may still be able to sneak them in for a weekend of free education from some of the most respected researchers and clinicians in the field. :)

I've got a little bit of a breather before the next round of insanity, so I'll be around a little more over the next week-ish.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
So glad that @TimWilson joined in on this thread.

I think one of the things that makes this song so emotional, (for those of us who find it to be emotional), is the love and friendship behind it. And many of us can probably relate that to people in our own lives as well.

I can't even begin to imagine how it felt for Paul and Ringo to hear the song and then work on it. I suspect that's especially true for Paul. For all of his battles with John, they did love another like brothers, I think.

Hearing John's vocals so clearly cleaned up from that poor quality tape have really jolted them.

The song might not be the absolute best Beatles song, but the thought that went into it so it could represent The Beatles is impressive. Instrumentation, (including the strings), the harmonies from the past songs, George's guitar style, and so on make it interesting to listen to and then go back to old songs and hear them. (Yes! There are the harmonies from Because! Got to go listen to that song now.)

Does it sound like The Beatles from the 60's? Well, a little bit, because some of it was actually from then. But if it had been possible to gather the 80+ year old Beatles all together for one last recording session, (if John and George were still alive), it wouldn't have sounded like the 60's Beatles either.

Anyway, it will never be my favorite Beatles song, but I'm glad that Paul didn't give up on it and that those of us who are happy to be able to listen to it have that opportunity. It was clearly a labor of love by Paul and I'm glad he got to share this with us.

Now, off to find Tim's favorite book on The Beatles, Dreaming The Beatles.

Anyway, it will never be my favorite Beatles song, but I'm glad that Paul didn't give up on it and that those of us who are happy to be able to listen to it have that opportunity. It was clearly a labor of love by Paul and I'm glad he got to share this with us.

Said much more succinctly than I did, and bang on the money. :)

I also just now got around to watching the official music video, which uses some very clever VFX to join together The Beatles from across the eras. It's really very sweet.

Last edited:
I think @TimWilson might like this article, (gift link so you all should be able to read it):

‘Now and Then, I Miss You’: The Love Story at the Heart of the Last Beatles Song​

The author is "is writing “John and Paul: A Love Story In Songs,” a book about the relationship between John Lennon and Paul McCartney."

I think @TimWilson might like this article, (gift link so you all should be able to read it):

‘Now and Then, I Miss You’: The Love Story at the Heart of the Last Beatles Song​

The author is "is writing “John and Paul: A Love Story In Songs,” a book about the relationship between John Lennon and Paul McCartney."

Thanks! What a terrific essay! I'm be looking for that book, too!

I have one in return, an interview with Giles Martin in Variety, Giles Martin on Producing the Beatles’ ‘Now and Then,’ Remixing the Red and Blue Albums, and How Technology Is Enabling a Mass Emotional Experience

Thanks! What a terrific essay! I'm be looking for that book, too!

I have one in return, an interview with Giles Martin in Variety, Giles Martin on Producing the Beatles’ ‘Now and Then,’ Remixing the Red and Blue Albums, and How Technology Is Enabling a Mass Emotional Experience

Thanks for sharing that article, @TimWilson.

I especially liked this line:
"You know, people shouldn’t listen to technology, and they shouldn’t listen to the thought process. They should listen to the song."

And this:
"It’s not some sort of cynical marketing exercise to try and push catalog sales. I love the fact that it’s Paul just having the cassette in his possession and… I think he just misses John and he wants to work on a song with him. It’s just as simple as that."

I really do think it's as simple as that.

I love The Beatles, but I don’t like this. Neither did I like Free As A Bird. I’ve never liked Let It Be for that matter. Revolution 9 is a complete non starter as far as I’m concerned too. Still, 4 songs I don’t like out of their wonderful and varied catalogue isn’t bad going. All the bands and artists I really love, there is always the odd bit of their output makes me go “meh”….. Now And Then falls into that category. It’s predicted it will top the UK chart though, so there is that.

I have been a Beatles fan since I saw them on Ed Sullivan as a little kid. This song is pretty good, but sounds like the Traveling Wilburys, which is in part because of Jeff Lynn's involvement with the production.

I have been a Beatles fan since I saw them on Ed Sullivan as a little kid. This song is pretty good, but sounds like the Traveling Wilburys, which is in part because of Jeff Lynn's involvement with the production.
The new song was produced by Giles Martin and Paul McCartney.

The article that @TimWilson posted talks about that:

The new song was produced by Giles Martin and Paul McCartney.

The article that @TimWilson posted talks about that:
I had read an interview with Paul had said he looked forward to getting back into the studio with Jeff to finish the song, but then I guess Jeff declined. It still has that Wilbury's vibe.

I had read an interview with Paul had said he looked forward to getting back into the studio with Jeff to finish the song, but then I guess Jeff declined. It still has that Wilbury's vibe.
Jeff did start working on it initially when they were working on Free as a Bird and Real Love, but apparently they did very little work on it. But you're right - Jeff did have some involvement.

Jeff did start working on it initially when they were working on Free as a Bird and Real Love, but apparently they did very little work on it. But you're right - Jeff did have some involvement.

Jeff was of course the lead producer for the original attempt to work on the track, but couldn't get around John's muffled voice or the TV playing in the background. It just wasn't a usable track at the time. This time around, though, Paul went straight to Peter Jackson's team. I don't think Jeff's name even came up for this round of work.

I think the Wilbury feel in the finished tracks is from the especially strummy sound of George's acoustic guitar from the Anthology-vintage session. If you watch the videos from around that time, including the excerpts in the 12-minute Now and Then short video linked elsewhere on this thread, all you see is George playing acoustic. (And ukulele of course!) That's just where he was in the late 90s.

So while Jeff had ZERO involvement in THIS round of production on Now and Then, his recording of George's acoustic guitar is nevertheless the bedrock of the finished version, the one element running throughout every measure of the song.

We can argue about whether that guitar sound was George or Jeff -- George really was playing very nearly only acoustic in those days, and had of course done so to great effect going back to My Sweet Lord, and before that to And I Love Her, where Paul acknowledged that George's acoustic lick was the best part of the song -- but that almost choral, nay, orchestral sound of an acoustic guitar has been core part of Jeff's sound since the mid-70s.

You can hear it on the Electric Light Orchestra track "Living Thing" in particular, but you can hear it on other Jeff productions, too, of course. Most notable to me are Tom Petty's "Learning To Fly", but also on all of George Harrison's Cloud Nine album, especially "Got My Mind Set on You", but especially on the George-driven Wilburys track, "Handle With Care", where all five singers played acoustic guitar (!!!), with George's nifty slide solo, and Jeff adding some electric guitars when he and George finished the album at Friar Park.

Jeff's integration into the Beatleverse always made a lot of sense to me. John was a fan of ELO, and whenever anybody bothered him about a Beatles reunion in the early-to-mid-70s, he pointed them to ELO, in a positive way. They clearly had roots in The Beatles, specifically, the riff-based rock-and-roll of "I Am The Walrus", where the lead instrument was the orchestra, rather than, say, the strings on Eleanor Rigby, which led to a whole subgenre of baroque pop. ELO was anything but baroque! Rococo if anything, but they really did lean to the more classical (in the "era" sense of classical) sound of Walrus.

There's a fantastic guitar outro to that track of course, but otherwise, every riff you can hum in Walrus is made by an orchestra! John's point was, why ask me to go backward, when there are people like Jeff Lynne who took The Beatles sound and were moving it forward! Listen to ELO's "Can't Get It Out of My Head", followed by John's "#9 Dream" and you can hear just how closely John was not just listening to Jeff, but studying him, and learning from him. I don't doubt for a second that John would have approved of Jeff as the producer for a new collaboration with these four fellows. He may very well have suggested it, given the opportunity.

In addition to George, Jeff also worked with Ringo and Paul McCartney, producing 8 of the tracks on 1997's Flaming Pie, as well as one of the b-sides.

Paul really liked Jeff's sound, as well as his work on the Anthology, but asked Jeff to dial it back a bit. He felt that they'd get more mileage out of Jeff's approach if they intentionally subverted it a bit, and Jeff was game. A lot of the album is just him and Paul, recorded much more quickly than Jeff typically worked, and it was indeed a lovely, more balanced approach than Jeff's productions sometimes have. I love Jeff's work in ELO and beyond (and in The Move before ELO), but agree with Paul that his handiwork can be a lot. :)

So to my ears, I'm not hearing the Wilburys per se, and I think if you listen to the Jeff-produced Free As A Bird and Real Love alongside Now and Then, you'll hear that the overall productions are really not much alike at all, and even somebody who's never heard ELO or the Wilburys will immediately be able to tell which tracks were produced by one guy and which one was produced by someone else....but that underlying acoustic track of George's? Well, that has Jeff's fingerprints on it, no doubt about that.

I do love this particular angle on the conversation, so I'm going to add some documentation. :)

I've been meaning to start a thread on the new-ish channel started by Burt Sugarman for The Midnight Special, and I will, but here's a dandy 1977 version of Livin' Thing. ELO really were terrific live. In addition to Jeff's super-duper-strummy acoustic guitar, note his lack of sunglasses! I think this episode of The Midnight Special was the last time we saw his naked eyes! Note also a TON of augmented chords, a trick he happily acknowledged at the time as lifting from George Harrison!

Tom Petty, Learning to Fly, 1991. Man, I love this! Most of the time you ask me, this is my favorite Tom Petty song, even if a few others ocassionally elbow their way to the top of the list...but wow, those strummy guitars!!!

George famously came to the US before his bandmates, on a trip to visit his sister Louise, who'd married an American. He bought a Rickenbacker guitar on that trip (!!!), as well as a bunch of records, including an album from James Ray, who had a terrific song on the charts that George tucked away for later.

You've already heard George's cover, so need to include that here. Jeff obviously knew how to manage an R&B cover, as ELO's first US hit was a cover of Roll Over Beethoven with some especially cheeky Beethoven musical quotes, originally from the 9th Symphony tacked on to the end of live performances, but later using the opening "riff" from the 5th Symphony as the opening riff to their cover, and repeated a couple of times throughout. George's cover of Got My Mind Set On You is lush by George's standards, but still stripped down from the original, but certainly counts as another classically-flavored R&B success for Jeff as a producer-arranger.

That said, this is the perfect time to bring up George's When We Was Fab, a song he cowrote with Jeff. In addition to some adorable appearances by Ringo, who plays drums on the track, note the orchestral bits, George's super-strummy acoustic in the background (although George is only seen playing electric in the video). There's also, appropriately enough, lots of cello and other orchestral stylings, as well as some sitar. All the bases are touched!

There are cameos in the video from Jeff Lynne (who played bass on the track) and Elton John, and while Paul had hoped to participate, he couldn't make it. He suggested that George use a walrus-masked bassist in the video and TELL people it was Paul, which George indeed did for years. The video's directors, Kevin Godley and Lol Creme (from the band 10cc, but who later had a terrific later career as video directors) later 'fessed up....but their video here in 1988 long predates a past-present pastiche approach that Jackson took more clumsily artistically, if far more technically precisely, for Now and Then. This really is a gas, and nicely ties all of this together.

I should also note that the conversation with Paul about Jeff Lynne is from an especially unlikely source -- Alice Cooper! We all know that Alice is a more thoughtful fellow than his public persona suggests, especially in his sobriety, but he's got a dandy podcast with lots of terrific guests. Here's a link to some text highlights from the interview with Paul. You'll find on the same page a link to the podcast itself in the right sidebar.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Tim. As usual you're a font.

I'd forgotten When We Was Fab, even though I've got the album. Must play now.

Top Bottom