New Bass Uke Day, Hadean Violin Style Mod

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
Here's my newest RondoMusic.com Hadean 21" scale bass uke mod. I wanted a finish that looked like the ukuleles in my group. At first I sanded down the original black finish, but the wood had no figuring. Then I went online and after some searching, found a thin, real cherry wood self stick veneer. I brought it over to Pat Wilkins and he did a great job of applying and finishing it glossy (the photo does not show the actual grain in the wood).

I then took it to Eric's Guitar who added all the hardware I supplied; a Korean fully adjustable piezo bridge with a pickup on each saddle, Gotoh light tuning machines, Hofner style tailpiece, Strat top hat pot knobs, preamp on/off switch and Kala/Galli 23"strings. As always, Eric and Billy did a great job. I had a set of sound hole stick-ons made with a rosette that matches the binding, which I'll use on other Hadean mods. I might call it Veneerelele.

Hadean veneer 900.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice indeed! But... Seriously: you have, like, 10 NUDs a year... feeling a bit envious here... for both your quality and quantity... and for my not nurturing my UAS properly...
Thanks very much. From July 2014 to Aug. 2022 I accumulated 54 bass ukes/mini bass guitars. Then let them go to stay with the Hadean violin/Hofner style that is the most comfortable for me to play with nerve damage to my neck spinal cord, which is 6, this being 5 and one in the works with Eric. Will post that one next week when I pick it up.

Last edited:
That'll be a really nice bass uke, when the shop gets finished with it. I especially like the preamp on/off switch. Great idea.

Interesting thing happened today playing the veneer bass at the WLA Farmers' Market gig. Yesterday I practiced and the bass played very well with my wireless setup at home. Today when we did a sound check, I was getting feedback and unbalanced volume. Tried a cable, but same thing. Fought it through the gig and when I got home, discovered that it was the new 9v USB port recharge lithium battery I put in it this morning. So glad it wasn't the bridge/pickup.

I never had a problem with lithium rechargeable batteries that use a standard recharger. Having bought 8 of the USB port batteries, I put the standard recharger and batteries in recycling at the hardware store, so I just ordered replacements from Amazon. Live and learn.

Glad you made it through the gig. I've never used rechargeable 9Vs, just the regular ones. On two occasions I had a brand new 9V fail to work -- duds!

Really nice looking upgrade, Mike. Did the Kala/Galli flatwounds fit in the existing nut or did you have to file/replace it? I'm buying on and really like the galli flatwounds. Also can you provide any info on the tailpiece, bridge/pick-up and switch?

Really nice looking upgrade, Mike. Did the Kala/Galli flatwounds fit in the existing nut or did you have to file/replace it? I'm buying on and really like the galli flatwounds. Also can you provide any info on the tailpiece, bridge/pick-up and switch?
Nut is the original, no modifications. The on/off switch is a standard slide switch that Eric had in stock. The Korean bridge is $85 from Thompson Guitar on eBay, but of the eight I've bought, three have been faulty. I actually bought a different Korean piezo bridge ($82 from Guitar Madness on eBay) for one of my other mods that's built simpler, it's working very well, so I'll be getting those now. If those turn out to be problem, I'll have to step up and buy GraphTech Ghost HipShot bridges for $245. The tailpiece (black or chrome) is from MGB Guitars on eBay for $12.50 but two is the minimum order.

Nut is the original, no modifications. The on/off switch is a standard slide switch that Eric had in stock. The Korean bridge is $85 from Thompson Guitar on eBay, but of the eight I've bought, three have been faulty. I actually bought a different Korean piezo bridge ($82 from Guitar Madness on eBay) for one of my other mods that's built simpler, it's working very well, so I'll be getting those now. If those turn out to be problem, I'll have to step up and buy GraphTech Ghost HipShot bridges for $245. The tailpiece (black or chrome) is from MGB Guitars on eBay for $12.50 but two is the minimum order.
Thanks so much for the info. And if you wouldn't mind one more question: Do you use the 20.5" or 23" kala galli flatwounds. I didn't even realize that they had 2 different lengths. I'm using the 20.5 on my Kala EM and I think the Hadean is the same scale but wanted to check.

Because the Hadean violin style bass ukes have a tailpiece, I use the 23" version, even though the scale is actually 21". The tailpiece adds an inch or so more distance where the string barrel sits.

Because the Hadean violin style bass ukes have a tailpiece, I use the 23" version, even though the scale is actually 21". The tailpiece adds an inch or so more distance where the string barrel sits.
Thanks Mike. My Hadean came today. Haven't had much time to make any changes but sounds pretty sweet through my Phil Jones Double Four. Thought it would fit in an extra Kala EM case that I had laying around but no luck. It's about an inch too long. Any recommendations for a case that will fit the UKBV?

Thanks Mike. My Hadean came today. Haven't had much time to make any changes but sounds pretty sweet through my Phil Jones Double Four. Thought it would fit in an extra Kala EM case that I had laying around but no luck. It's about an inch too long. Any recommendations for a case that will fit the UKBV?
Check with Rondo, they've always been very responsive. I use a couple of old guitar gig bags when I bring them to Eric's Guitar, but are a little big. I don't use a hard case.

Thanks very much. From July 2014 to Aug. 2022 I accumulated 54 bass ukes/mini bass guitars. Then let them go to stay with the Hadean violin/Hofner style that is the most comfortable for me to play with nerve damage to my neck spinal cord, which is 6, this being 5 and one in the works with Eric. Will post that one next week when I pick it up.
Do you still have the hot pink one that one was my favorite

Top Bottom