Need tips/im new

You may try by recognising the chords and simple strumming first.

Then start with nursery rhymes to get comfortable.

When you're ready, you can find more songs with more chords.

If you go to Jim's Songbook Index, you can search for songs by the number of chords they have in them.

Start slow.. you'll get a hang of it!

I am also a month new at this and I found starting with three basic chords, C/F/G7 and get to a point you don't even have to think or look at your hands to play them in ANY way...fast, slow whatever...when you got that down I added another chord, then another until I can go from one chord to any other by muscle memory...It worked for me :)

The Ukulele Underground YouTube channel has a "Uke Minutes" series that is a fine set of tips and tricks. However, my advise is that beginners need more than tips and tricks if they want to move past the strum and hum phase that a lot of beginners get stuck in. Look for a course that teaches you skills as well as songs. Ukulele Underground has a very comprehensive series of tutorials (click on the "Learn" tab at the top of this screen). Matt Stead has some good free courses on YouTube. There are lots of others.

Make sure you keep the fun factor always in front of you! There will be lots of time later to learn other stuff - but allow your heart to play through your fingers. Even simple chords can sound expressive if you allow yourself to experiment. Breathe play smile repeat.

I liked Bernadette's 30 Days Ukulele Challenge and 30 Day Ukulele Course on YouTube when starting out.

My goal was to be able to play and sing.
The first thing I realized was that I had to be comfortable with playing chords and keeping time.

Try these by playing from left to right. They are the same major progression, but in different keys:

C Em Am F C G F C
D F#m* Bm G D A G D
F Am Dm Bb F C Bb F
G Bm Em C G D C G

* https://ukebuddy.com/ukulele-chords/F#m-chord

Take your time, get comfy with them.

You can skip some... (C Am F G, or just C F G, or Am F G C)

Last edited:
Everyone has given great guidance. Get the free UkeLib app. I refer to it at least twice a month as a reference for varied arrangements up and down the fingerboard. Very intuitive.
1707534776513.png
Home screen
1707535143048.png

Last edited:
Wonderful information and sources for learning to play offered here already.

Because you are a brand new beginner, I will only add, learning how to properly hold the instrument and your arms/hands position is fundamental to being able to play well and with less difficulty. That goes for both arms and hands. Just the angles of your fingers on the fretboard makes it much easier to play.

As already pointed out, most importantly, enjoy the process or give it a break and come back to it in awhile and see if things are fun again. Everyone that plays has gone through this.

Wonderful information and sources for learning to play offered here already.

Because you are a brand new beginner, I will only add, learning how to properly hold the instrument and your arms/hands position is fundamental to being able to play well and with less difficulty. That goes for both arms and hands. Just the angles of your fingers on the fretboard makes it much easier to play.

As already pointed out, most importantly, enjoy the process or give it a break and come back to it in awhile and see if things are fun again. Everyone that plays has gone through this.
I agree that a lot of people fail at ukulele because of poor posture or they never learned how to properly hold the ukulele. Here is a great beginner tutorial from the Ukulele Underground YouTube channel.

From my time when I first learnt to play the guitar ... circa 1964 ... start with a song you REALLY want to play, then you've got some real impetus to practice!
All the nursey rhymes and camp-fire songs are all very well, but if they don't hold your interest, they very soon get boring!

Hey! I’m a semi beginner as well (I started ~4 months ago) and truly sympathize with you… What I found helpful was learning songs that only require 2 chords (ie, you are my sunshine) and slowly working my way up to 3 chord songs (ie, riptide) and up. Also helpful if it’s a song you enjoy because you already know the lyrics and can hum/sing along as you strum!

In the beginning, I watched a lot of vids from Lara Markowitz at like 0.5-0.75x speed haha
Here the link if you’re interested in watching her vids:

I also refer to the site below to learn chords to songs I like.

Hope this helps! You got this!!

Really good advice given above. I'd add a couple of things.

Listen to and enjoy the sound of the instrument—strumming a simple chord progression is all that's required to please the ears. (I like to do this a in small, private, fairly reverberant room...I won't elaborate!).

And second, try not to follow videos or tutorials to the exact chord, melodic line or rhythmic pattern. Instead, play naturally in your own style. Everyone has their own way of strumming etc that they should embrace.

Last edited:
Learn C, F, G, G7 and Am chords first. There are literally thousands of songs written in the key of C using some or all of those 5 chords.

Once you can finger those chords reliably, then practice changing from one to another. You can do this muting the strings with your right hand and then making and changing the chords. Start with a C change to an F. C to G. C to G7. C to Am. Then start with the F. F to G. F to G7. F to Am. F to C. And so on.

Do it systematically so you wind up changing from each chord to every other chord. Over and over until you build the muscle memory and it is easy for you to do. You can do this while watching TV with the strings muted. Try to make the changes in time one, two, three, four. Do it every day. For at least 10 or 15 minutes.

You can play some easy songs that use these chords. You'll be jerky and hesitant at first. But you'll be surprised how quickly it smooths out as you get better at making the chord changes. Tap your foot in time with the song and strum with your index finger: Down, down, down down. and Down up, down up, down up, down up.

When you have this grooved, you can learn additional chords and practice changing them. Major chords, Minor Chords, and 7th chords are the most commonly used chords.

After that you've got a great base upon which you can build your skills.

Top Bottom