Need tips for playing uke!

KaPowaFie

Reaction score
Hi there I am brand new to playing the ukelele and any stringed instruments of any sorts.

Are there any helpful cool tips or tricks I can do to start learning quickly on one? 😁

The best tip I can give no matter what sort of study you embark on, is to go slow. So much of playing any instrument is muscle memory. If you take things fast and make mistakes when you practice, you'll make those same mistakes when you're trying to perform the piece. Get the feeling of the chord shapes, string spacing, right hand, left hand, movement up and down the neck, etc., under your fingers. As your fingers catch up with your brain, it'll become less tedious, more fun, and it will sound much better.

The best tip I can give no matter what sort of study you embark on, is to go slow. So much of playing any instrument is muscle memory. If you take things fast and make mistakes when you practice, you'll make those same mistakes when you're trying to perform the piece. Get the feeling of the chord shapes, string spacing, right hand, left hand, movement up and down the neck, etc., under your fingers. As your fingers catch up with your brain, it'll become less tedious, more fun, and it will sound much better.
Thank you!!!

Agree 100%. Don’t rush yourself and be patient. Welcome!

Don’t forget to breathe. Tension in your fingers, hands, wrists, arms, etc will make the learning process harder and potentially painful. Stop every once in awhile and take several deep breaths. It will help relieve the tension. Good luck!

I just recently started taking the uke seriously so I’m also new-ish. I’ve had good luck with using the Ukulele Aerobics book. It’s all bite-sized exercises that build on each other.

Or, if you want to start off with songs, find a tutorial on YouTube, write out the tabs, and learn to play a section at a time. When you know one section reasonably well, add the next section.

If something feels like a roadblock, take a break but keep coming back to it. Everything that felt impossible suddenly clicked after enough attempts.

If you can find a teacher, take some lessons. I was a music ed major with a Bachelor's and Master's Degree. I thought I could teach myself to play finger style. It wasn't working and I found a teacher. Took lessons for almost 3 years and it was money well spent. I've attended some master class/clinics when I can find them. One was with Bryan Tolentino. I managed to arrange a lesson this past fall with Herb Ohta Jr while we were visiting my wife's family on Oahu. Next trip I want to try and contact Byron Yasui and see if I can have a session with him. Seek out the best players you can find and ask questions.

Hi there I am brand new to playing the ukelele and any stringed instruments of any sorts.

Are there any helpful cool tips or tricks I can do to start learning quickly on one? 😁
the best tip I can give you to learn quickly is to take James Hill’s booster uke course.

Lots of good tips already listed, but I would add to keep your uke handy so that you can do short practice sessions. 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there a couple of times a day tend to be more manageable and more effective than one huge weekly practice session. Especially at first when you are learning chord shapes, how to transition between them and some basic strumming patterns, it's really helpful to pick up the uke when you have a few minutes.

Softer is also usually better. You don't need to grip the neck for dear life, nor do you need to strum so hard they can hear you a block away. Not only does everything sound better when you only fret with as much pressure as needed to get a clean chord, it also makes it a lot easier to change chords. I think that coming from a bit of acoustic guitar predisposed me to fret and strum too hard at first, but a lot of people start out using more pressure than necessary.

I'm a month or so new...Have about 20 or so chords under me, three calloused fingers and having a blast. The best thing I can suggest that's not technical....Have fun and enjoy it...If you get frustrated, put it done for 10 minutes or so and go back....its all muscle memory, something I never had to consider with piano but is so needed here....

Lots of good tips already listed, but I would add to keep your uke handy so that you can do short practice sessions. 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there a couple of times a day tend to be more manageable and more effective than one huge weekly practice session. Especially at first when you are learning chord shapes, how to transition between them and some basic strumming patterns, it's really helpful to pick up the uke when you have a few minutes.

Softer is also usually better. You don't need to grip the neck for dear life, nor do you need to strum so hard they can hear you a block away. Not only does everything sound better when you only fret with as much pressure as needed to get a clean chord, it also makes it a lot easier to change chords. I think that coming from a bit of acoustic guitar predisposed me to fret and strum too hard at first, but a lot of people start out using more pressure than necessary.Mine sits on the couch...
I keep mine on the couch...in between commercials or whatever Ill pick it up and practice...I don't even call it practicing anymore

Top Bottom