NBD, Journeyman, impatiently waiting...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
Even though I love my Kala fretless with Pahoehoes...

Last week, I saw Kala had a sale on blem Journeymans, I thought it was a great deal and ended up ordering one. Fedex delivery was supposed to be Sunday, but it looks like it's delayed in Flagstaff since Saturday at around noon (2hours way). Roads were clear then, but it snowed Saturday night and last night, I-17 is closed at the moment. :rolleyes:

The journeyman comes with round wounds and I'm sure I don't like those, so I ordered Thunder browns, they are here already. Hopefully the transition is pretty straight forward, I've heard lots of positive comments about the Thunder browns.

Not optimistic that delivery will happen today, maybe tomorrow...

Update, I-17 is open and delivery is set for tomorrow...took 2 days from Virginia to New Mexico and 2 days from Flagstaff to Phoenix (140 miles).
I17.jpg

Current situation in Flagstaff...
Flag.jpg

Even though I love my Kala fretless with Pahoehoes...

Last week, I saw Kala had a sale on blem Journeymans, I thought it was a great deal and ended up ordering one. Fedex delivery was supposed to be Sunday, but it looks like it's delayed in Flagstaff since Saturday at around noon (2hours way). Roads were clear then, but it snowed Saturday night and last night, I-17 is closed at the moment. :rolleyes:

The journeyman comes with round wounds and I'm sure I don't like those, so I ordered Thunder browns, they are here already. Hopefully the transition is pretty straight forward, I've heard lots of positive comments about the Thunder browns.

Not optimistic that delivery will happen today, maybe tomorrow...
I ordered and received a Kala Kumalo (Acoustic) electric bass. It also came with the round wound strings. After 10 minutes of play I was convinced a change was necessary. Ordered Thunderbrowns which are much thicker on the two lower strings. Kala makes a specific nut, spaced and cut for those strings. Suggest going to their KalaBrand.com website and ordering a replacement. Helps when tuning, too... much smoother, though you will still have to do some 'lifting' of the strings : -)

It's heeere! 😁 🤙🎶
Amazing! $219, supposedly a blem, I can't find any blemishes. Not a fan of the round wounds, but it plays and sounds awesome! There's a little rattle if you don't fret properly, but if you fret properly it plays very nicely! Absolutely no complaints!!! I have Thunder browns to install, when I get a new nut. Or, decide to just file this one.
NBD2.jpg

Well...I have the Thunderbrowns and a nut from Kala. Debating with myself whether to change them or not. Jam tomorrow with a group that I play bass with, think I'll take it as-is and see how it goes. I'm actually kind of liking the round wounds sound and they're not as un-comfortable as I thought they would be. I'll see what the group thinks. My old Solid spruce top fretless with Pahoehoes puts out a nice, mellow upright sound.

Last edited:
My advice is, don't rush to change from the rounds. It will sound more like an electric bass but that's the way "uh-huh uh-huh" I like it "uh-huh uh-huh"! The notes will be clear and precise.

If you like it more thumpy ("uprighty") just roll off the treble and boost the bass. Start first with the bass EQs in the middle and adjust the amp for best overall sound. Then, use the instrument EQs to roll off highs and boost bass to change from Motown/rock to upright as necessary.

Last edited:
Well, the jam went well. People liked the tone and punch of the Journeyman with steel strings. Didn't bother my fingers like I thought it would. It has LOTS of sustain! It will ring forever...especially the G string. A little boomy at times.

Thats very cool! I did not realize there were round would strings available for this scale length.

My advice is, don't rush to change from the rounds.
This is what I did (or more precisely, didn't) do. I've had a set of flats ready to go on the Journeyman for close to a year, but keep getting blocked by "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'm enjoying the rounds much more than I thought I would, and I have flooby strings on my 25" fretless for when I want that sound. That one will change from Thunderguts to Thunderbrowns once I dig out my workbench.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have only tried a ubass back when they first came out and didn’t love the thick rubbery strings (I play electric bass so like the feel of regular round wound or flat wound strings). I didn’t really look at them since. Seems I need to keep up!

That’s a beauty the one with the f holes. Is that a Journeyman? Boy, do I like the looks.
Yes, that's the blem Journeyman I got for $219! Plus tax...a DEAL! They're sold out of the blems.

I play a regular scale electric bass so it feels weird whenever I play a short scale bass.
Interesting you should say that. I started playing bass uke with my uke group in mid 2014, never played any other size, but when I do try a common length bass, it feels very weird, having to move my hand so far to reach notes. On a bass uke, I can reach the vast majority of notes without moving my hand much, just my fingers.

It's a very different experience! I was taught different techniques for the low end and the high end of the bass guitar neck, and a full scale upright's even more trippy.
Gotta give credit to upright players - takes soooo much more effort to play/lug around that instrument. Playing my electric bass is easier on the fingers than classical guitar.

Top Bottom