My Baroque Flute

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
Yesterday I was talking to another UUer about Recorders, so, my interest piqued, I went looking for mine. However, I ran across my Baroque Flute instead. It took me a while to find all its music, but I did and had a good time playing it. My embouchure was a bit weak (I could barely make a noise at first), but I got goin’ and, still remembering most of the fingerings, managed to play about a half hour.

I’ve been playing and listening to some Bach pieces lately, so I thought I might take it up again. I have a lot of easy Bach and Baroque tunes, so why not? And mebbe even my Recorders too. I’ll see how it goes.

Good to read you've rediscovered your baroque flute. The sound is so much more pleasing than the modern Boehm flute, I find.

In September I went to a workshop for small baroque ensembles. Every fortnight or so I now drive up to Morpeth in Northumberland to play chamber music with my new harpsichord friend. Occasionally he has a violinist, recorder or viol (gamba) player over too and we can play trio sonatas. I'm learning so much new repertoire, new alternative fingerings for trills etc. Exhausting, but rewarding!

Yes, I played a bit today too, and with a little better tone. And yes, the tone is a nice change. Though it’s tone is a bit difficult sometimes, as it was before, but, from what I’ve read, that’s just the way of Baroque Flutes. My fingering is a bit rusty, but I’ve got fingering charts.

I‘m even thinking of gettin’ out my Recorders. I guess I’m going for Baroque!

My Baroque tone is gittin’ better now. I’ve got 2 octaves pretty good, but the different alternate tunings need to be figgered out. I’ve gotta polish it’s silver key too. It’s very tarnished.

I wonder why wooden flutes have such small mouth holes. Their size and shape make them difficult to produce much noise at all sometimes.

That's awesome. I played flute and sax in my earlier years. Then got into recorders and whistles. I've now settled into just Native American Flutes. They are like ukes and guitars, though; they keep multiplying in the house!

I’ve played all those except Indian Flutes, though I have a Peruvian one which I also don’t play. I’ve also played all the brass instruments at one time or another and marching snare drum. I still have a Tuba, 2 Baritone Horns, a Cornet, and lots of Flutes, Fifes and a coupla wooden Piccolos. I have all these (and a few more) because I’ve been a musician for 75 years. At 85 Music is about all I’ve got left.

Anyway, I’m interested in the BF because I’m also studying Classical Guitar, and I really admire Bach and the period. My next favorite period is the Classical, but I don’t know, yet, how the BF or CG fits into it. Mozart was big with flutes, though he supposedly didn’t care for them.

Last edited:
I’ve played all those except Indian Flutes, though I have a Peruvian one which I also don’t play. I’ve also played all the brass instruments at one time or another and marching snare drum. I still have a Tuba, 2 Baritone Horns, a Cornet, and lots of Flutes, Fifes and a coupla wooden Piccolos. I have all these (and a few more) because I’ve been a musician for 75 years. At 85 Music is about all I’ve got left.

Anyway, I’m interested in the BF because I’m also studying Classical Guitar, and I really admire Bach and the period. My next favorite period is the Classical, but I don’t know, yet, how the BF or CG fits into it. Mozart was big with flutes, though he supposedly didn’t care for them.
With your experience, were you ever a band director? It's all good, in my book!

With your experience, were you ever a band director? It's all good, in my book!
No, never a band director, but I was a Drum Major in the Ninth grade.

Do you have music books for Native American music? If not, what do you play on ‘em?

I played Recorders for a long time. I have an alto and a sopranino, and I play old music and some church music. I also like to play Irish music on my whistles, but they’re piercingly loud. I prefer using my Irish Banjo.

Do you have music books for Native American music? If not, what do you play on ‘em?
I do read/play standard music notation with my NAF. There's a lot of free NAF music on the web, plus I have quite a bit of music in my library, some which works on it. It is limited in range. I've also attended NAF workshops at the dulcimer festivals that I go to, which teaches playing from the soul, like the flute is traditionally played.

Good day today. I played a bunch of scales, and I’m beginning to understand/remember some of the alternate fingerings. I played a few tunes too — just for fun. I oiled my flute and put some Vaseline on its joints. I’ve still gotta polish its key. It was a good day.

Good day today. I played a bunch of scales, and I’m beginning to understand/remember some of the alternate fingerings. I played a few tunes too — just for fun. I oiled my flute and put some Vaseline on its joints. I’ve still gotta polish its key. It was a good day.
Having fun is what it's about, after all!

I take it that a "Baroque Flute" is a transverse flute? I've never been able to get a tone out of one of those. I think my brass player embrasure gets in the way. But, I do play Recorder, and have a full Consort of the Yamaha's. I also have a lovely Moeck Olive Wood Soprano that I bought many years ago in Vienna. It plays very well, but honestly, I don't think it's any better than the Yamaha. I once stopped by the concert hall at the Mormon Temple in Salt Lake City and found a Recorder quartet rehearsing there. One of the players was using the same Yamaha Consort that I have. They sounded just fine with the other more expensive wooden instruments.

Yeah, I have a coupla recorders — an alto and a sopranino. I usta play them a lot. but I had too many things going so I had to let somethin’ go.

I don’t have any trouble with transverse flutes, and I have a lot of them — all kinds. I stopped playing them a long time ago because I thought my embouchure was gittin too old. But I play ‘em sometimes.

A setback . . . yesterday, it wouldn’t hardly speak — the weather? Humidity? My old, weak embouchure? Ahhh well, today’s another day . . .

Not a joke, made by a company called Roosebeck. They make ouds and other medieval instruments . Would do a link but don't know how from my phone.

Top Bottom