Most durable wood?

Rllink

Reaction score
I am going to upgrade from my Makala laminate uke. I know that solid wood ukes require a lot more care as far as humidity and such, but what is the most durable and crack resistant wood?

If durability is your primary concern, I'd say just get a better laminate, maybe a well set up Ohana or Kala? Or a Fluke/Flea?

I second Jim's suggestion. There are many different types of plywood (or laminate) and some are very well suited to instrument making. The Kiwaya range of laminate ukes are well worth a look.

John Colter.

I am going to upgrade from my Makala laminate uke. I know that solid wood ukes require a lot more care as far as humidity and such, but what is the most durable and crack resistant wood?
If PR is anything like Miami, you won't have too much to worry about as far as low humidity is concerned. I now live in a semi-desert region, and I have not had a uke crack on me yet. it happens, and when it does, well you get it fixed. In my opinion, most solid wood ukes[ at least solid tops] sound better than their laminate cousins. there are some exceptions [Kiwaya] , but their laminate costs more than some solis wood ukes. jusst get what you want and what sounds best to you. some of my best ukes came pre cracked, they are cheaper too.

If PR is anything like Miami, you won't have too much to worry about as far as low humidity is concerned. I now live in a semi-desert region, and I have not had a uke crack on me yet. it happens, and when it does, well you get it fixed. In my opinion, most solid wood ukes[ at least solid tops] sound better than their laminate cousins. there are some exceptions [Kiwaya] , but their laminate costs more than some solis wood ukes. jusst get what you want and what sounds best to you. some of my best ukes came pre cracked, they are cheaper too.
Yes, Puerto Rico is humid, and Iowa in the summer is probably as humid as PR. I do have a humidifier connected to the furnace in Iowa, and we do stay here until after Christmas. The one thing is that I like to stick the uke in my check on luggage when I go down there and come back. I don't know if cargo holds are bad on ukes, or not. I don't mean as far as getting thrown around, because I have a super sturdy hard case that I pack inside my suitcase, I mean temps and such. I have thought about getting another laminate.

Stay away from wood and get a Blackbird ukulele! (carbon fibre)
Has anyone played one?

Yes, and positively love it. Lots of favorable reviews here in the UU community. They aren't cheap but they are extremely durable and sound fantastic. If I was constrained to just one uke, that would be it.

Top Bottom