Low G tuning

@TerryM I have the exact same dial calipers. Small world.
Ha yeah, the world can be pretty small. I bought them (it?) when I was keeping my wife's Celtic harp strung and needed a quicker way of ID'ing the right strings. Had been using a fiddlier micrometer until getting them.

Cheers

If you use a wound Low G string, you might not need to widen your nut slot. For a solid Low G, you would. It's not a big deal. The slot can easily be filled, or the nut can be replaced. It's not a permanent modification.
I have a Worth unwound low G and it is definitely skinnier than a wound low G.

^^^ Is my logic backwards, or is that particular Low G string different?

I could certainly be wrong. I only tried one wound string (besides experimenting with metal guitar strings once), and hated it. Never tried another.

I don't mind filing a nut slot to fit a string either way.

^^^ Is my logic backwards, or is that particular Low G string different?

I could certainly be wrong. I only tried one wound string (besides experimenting with metal guitar strings once), and hated it. Never tried another.

I don't mind filing a nut slot to fit a string either way.
My wound low G strings are .030", and my unwound fluorocarbon low Gs are ~.035”/.036”, for whatever that's worth.

In another thread there is discussion of d'addario carbon set where plain low G is a whoppin 0.041.
I just had my concert re-strung to low-g this week. The very reputable guitar shop that changed them for me put on D’Addario fluorocarbon. The empty package they sent me home with is labeled as a Tenor Uke set, and the low g is indeed 41.

Top Bottom