Low G tuning

meddyliol

Reaction score
I have a Lanakai Uke and have just bought a Gold Tone BU-1 Banjolele. My question is: I want to occasionally tune the G string low, do I have to buy a new 'low G' string and how do I then tune it with a clip on tuner (Snark ST2) to ensure it is low G?
(sorry if this is a stupid question).

Also, do I have to make the nut slot bigger? Don't really want to go down that road

Thanks

Brian

Last edited:
If you use a wound Low G string, you might not need to widen your nut slot. For a solid Low G, you would. It's not a big deal. The slot can easily be filled, or the nut can be replaced. It's not a permanent modification.

I don't think you can alternate between Low G and High G using the same string. If you tried to tune a High G string down to Low G, the string would be very floppy and unplayable, assuming you could even tune it down that far. If you tried to tune a Low G string up to High G, the string wouldn't mind, but your ukulele might. That would be a LOT of tension, and aside from possibly damaging your uke (I would guess that pulling up the bridge would be likely, or tweaking the neck), it would also be of questionable playability. It would be so tight that it wouldn't readily strum, and it would be hard to press down to fret a note.

Thanks for that, it explains everything I needed to know. Funny, you would have thought the wound string would be thicker than the unwound one. I live and learn (sometimes anyway).

Cheers

Brian

To get the Low G string to vibrate at a lower frequency, what you need is greater mass (because you can only reduce the tension so much). The simple way to do that is to make the string fatter. But, a wound string accomplishes the same goal by using a thinner string and wrapping it with metal. That's why a wound G string is thinner than a solid G string.

What a lot of us don't like about a wound string is that it has a texture. You can feel it, and you can hear it as your finger glides over the string. A lot of people are okay with that. That's something you'll have to decide for yourself.

My question is: I want to occasionally tune the G string low, do I have to buy a new 'low G' string and how do I then tune it with a clip on tuner (Snark ST2) to ensure it is low G?
You can't use the same string. Buy a low-G ukulele string, or a guitar D string. A regular high-G (or re-entrant) ukulele string can't be tuned down an octave. When the new string is strung up, put your Snark on and simply tune it up until it says "G."

but be careful. I snapped my first low G string back in the day because my ear was used to a high G and I absentmindedly tuned the low G up towards the pitch of a high G and the string broke.

To get the Low G string to vibrate at a lower frequency, what you need is greater mass (because you can only reduce the tension so much). The simple way to do that is to make the string fatter. But, a wound string accomplishes the same goal by using a thinner string and wrapping it with metal. That's why a wound G string is thinner than a solid G string.

What a lot of us don't like about a wound string is that it has a texture. You can feel it, and you can hear it as your finger glides over the string. A lot of people are okay with that. That's something you'll have to decide for yourself.
I think the La Bella flat-wound low-G strings are more comfortable to play than most wound strings. The biggest issue with these is that the volume and projection is not well matched with the rest of your strings, so you need to adjust your playing style to suit the strings. Aquilla makes some higher-density unwound strings that may fit your ukulele more easily; this is what is packaged with Aldrine's AGxAQ string set.

I think the La Bella flat-wound low-G strings are more comfortable to play than most wound strings. The biggest issue with these is that the volume and projection is not well matched with the rest of your strings, so you need to adjust your playing style to suit the strings. Aquilla makes some higher-density unwound strings that may fit your ukulele more easily; this is what is packaged with Aldrine's AGxAQ string set.
You always take that risk if you just randomly put a low G with some other strings, or if you have a uke that is not designed to support low G. There are several sets that include LaBella polished brass so using one of those improves chances of it going well with the plain strings.

Last edited:
.....Aquilla makes some higher-density unwound strings that may fit your ukulele more easily; this is what is packaged with Aldrine's AGxAQ string set.
But just be aware that the Aquila unwound low G string is ~30% fatter than wound low G strings (.042" vs. ~.030") and would require the nut slot to be filed.

But just be aware that the Aquila unwound low G string is ~30% fatter than wound low G strings (.042" vs. ~.030") and would require the nut slot to be filed.
Do you believe that is true? The AGxAQ package does not give list diameters, but I had no problem installing the low G on an ukulele that has had problems with Worth unwound low-G strings.

Do you believe that is true? The AGxAQ package does not give list diameters, but I had no problem installing the low G on an ukulele that has had problems with Worth unwound low-G strings.
My micrometer says it's so. I have that same AGxAQ set and a couple other Aquila sets with the same unwound low G string. They're all that diameter.

I've not yet installed them for that reason. I would like to try them out because I prefer unwound low Gs, and I also like Aquila Reds. Just haven't gotten around to picking which uke I'm going to commit to filing the nut.

My micrometer says it's so. I have that same AGxAQ set and a couple other Aquila sets with the same unwound low G string. They're all that diameter.

I've not yet installed them for that reason. I would like to try them out because I prefer unwound low Gs, and I also like Aquila Reds. Just haven't gotten around to picking which uke I'm going to commit to filing the nut.

Can you post pictures of this string and package? The Aquila website says that the set comes with the regular red low G. This is the first time that I heard of an Aquila low G without metal.

Can you post pictures of this string and package? The Aquila website says that the set comes with the regular red low G. This is the first time that I heard of an Aquila low G without metal.
The unwound strings do have metal in them just like the other Red strings - copper, I believe. And Aquila also have wound Red low G strings. You can get them either way.

Here are shots of the AGxAQ set and a single tenor unwound string.
PXL_20240321_163710840.jpg
PXL_20240321_163726525.jpg

Yes the plain red is included with several sets such as the AGAQ, but the wound red comes with the red set for some strange reason. I thought that you referred to a plain low G that was not red.

The unwound strings do have metal in them just like the other Red strings - copper, I believe. And Aquila also have wound Red low G strings. You can get them either way.

Here are shots of the AGxAQ set and a single tenor unwound string.
View attachment 169031
View attachment 169032
Maybe these stretch out a little after installation, but my calipers say 0.039 inches and the low-G string is thinner than the C string. I didn't have any trouble installing them.

Yes the plain red is included with several sets such as the AGAQ, but the wound red comes with the red set for some strange reason. I thought that you referred to a plain low G that was not red.
Ah no, standard red string.

Maybe these stretch out a little after installation, but my calipers say 0.039 inches and the low-G string is thinner than the C string. I didn't have any trouble installing them.
Yeah, they probably do thin out a little under tension. May have to give them a try without filing the nut. What did you put them on and how do you like them?

Yeah, they probably do thin out a little under tension. May have to give them a try without filing the nut. What did you put them on and how do you like them?
I am using them on a Kiwaya concert ukulele. I think the AGxAQ strings sound great. They also feel great; I prefer the feel of nylon to fluorocarbon or Nylgut. The low-G string does sort of feel like Nylgut, but I prefer that to a wound string or thicker fluorocarbon string.

Last edited:
@TerryM I have the exact same dial calipers. Small world.

Top Bottom