Looking for simple to set electric timer/power controller

Pegasus Guitars

Reaction score
For many years I have been using a mechanical timer that turns off the power to my bending blanket . It has never been very accurate, but it has worked. It is finally worn out. I'm looking for a simple, easy to set, electronic timer that will accurately control a 110 power source. All I see on Amazon are more sophisticated ones designed to be set to control on/off on a daily or weekly basis. Anyone have one that is easly to use? Something that functions more like a stopwatch maybe, and that does not have to be majorly programmed everytime I want to use it for 10 minutes? Thanks, Bob

For many years I have been using a mechanical timer that turns off the power to my bending blanket . It has never been very accurate, but it has worked. It is finally worn out. I'm looking for a simple, easy to set, electronic timer that will accurately control a 110 power source. All I see on Amazon are more sophisticated ones designed to be set to control on/off on a daily or weekly basis. Anyone have one that is easly to use? Something that functions more like a stopwatch maybe, and that does not have to be majorly programmed everytime I want to use it for 10 minutes? Thanks, Bob
Bob. Do you have a cell phone? If you do, I think they all have a timer. Mine is under tools/clock/timer. I have never used a time or temp controller.
I just plug the blanket in and listen to the water start to sizzle that I sprayed on the wood. As you know every side bend is different depending on the wood and other factors. I mostly just go by feel as I have done enough of them this way that I can just tell how fast to proceed and when to unplug it. When I first started I broke a few and burnt a few but I can't remember how long ago that was.
Tom

You'd have to make a box for this, but would something like this work? https://www.amazon.com/GE-15-Minute-Countdown-Mechanical-15303/dp/B007BJULZW

Tom, I also used to do the bending the same way as you. I know it works just fine. I do have a number of timers, but I'm looking for a new one that can be set to turn the power off at a specific time. I get better, safer results with a temp controller and an automatic shut off timer. Takes some of the guess work out of the process. That way I can go about my business, answer the phone, etc. without having to babysit the bender. It's probably an old age thing! Hope you are doing great. Freezing here in Hawaii tonight. Almost down to 65 degrees. Having lived in Alaska myself, I know it never gets that cold there! Aloha, Bob

Tom, I also used to do the bending the same way as you. I know it works just fine. I do have a number of timers, but I'm looking for a new one that can be set to turn the power off at a specific time. I get better, safer results with a temp controller and an automatic shut off timer. Takes some of the guess work out of the process. That way I can go about my business, answer the phone, etc. without having to babysit the bender. It's probably an old age thing! Hope you are doing great. Freezing here in Hawaii tonight. Almost down to 65 degrees. Having lived in Alaska myself, I know it never gets that cold there! Aloha, Bob
Maybe this would work for you.

Currently I use just a meat thermometer with a mark on it that I made by experimenting ….when the temp is just right for bending i clamp down the workpiece then the temp drops a bit I then wait until it comes back up again then switch off and let it cool… but it means I have to baby sit. as I have over cooked a few times when distracted.:(

So I’m thinking of getting one of these preset temp switches and using it in line with a shaded pole relay and an off/on switch to do the job for me. ( I suppose a timer can be added as well if needed) … I’ll try and send more info when I build it up as a unit. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0147XE...s=kitchen&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwy

Last edited:
I use a darkroom timer. Accurate to the second and can be set for 60 minutes on down. There are all kinds, any will work. Cheap on eBay. I use one for my hot glue gun as well. A friend burned his business all up when an employee left a hotglue gun plugged in over night. Your heating blanket will burn your shop down as well.

Top Bottom