Long Neck Soprano question

Tactical Uke

Reaction score
So i am looking into getting a long neck soprano as I have a short neck soprano and two concerts.
I know the body is the same. But I was wondering if there is any sound difference due to the longer neck affecting string tension.

Would it sound more like a concert but just with a smaller body?
I have never played one so I don't have any idea.

I have three long neck sopranos and a couple standard, ll different models so not apples to apples. The longer the scale length the higher the string tension this can sometimes result in more volume. For me the biggest advantage is the increased fret spacing, same as a concert. It makes it easier for me to play as I mostly play tenors and baritone. Hope that helps.

Ukuleles are classified by their scale length so the instrument you describe would be a concert with a smaller than usual body so, yes, I would expect it to sound like a concert but just with a smaller body.

My experience with long neck / concert neck sopranos is that in general they have their own voice , neither soprano nor concert .
They sound like long neck / concert neck sopranos .

Why are you looking for one ? Sounds like you just want to experience the size .

My experience with long neck / concert neck sopranos is that in general they have their own voice , neither soprano nor concert .
They sound like long neck / concert neck sopranos .

Why are you looking for one ? Sounds like you just want to experience the size .
Thanks for the reply. Fret board real estate mostly.
Ya i was thinking they might have their own tone but i really like the traditional chirpy sound so was the reason for my asking.
Also looking into a wider neck soprano as the one i have is the generic 34mm which i find a bit cramped. Maybe that is more what I am looking for then. Too bad no shops near me in Hungary regularly carry long necks so i could compare.

Well , 35mm is traditional for a concert scale soprano and some are even a bit wider .
What's your budget ?
With some searching you should be able to find a long neck soprano that leans toward the traditional chirpy sound from a EU online shop .

Well , 35mm is traditional for a concert scale soprano and some are even a bit wider .
What's your budget ?
With some searching you should be able to find a long neck soprano that leans toward the traditional chirpy sound from a EU online shop .
Got my eye on this little gem as far as long necks go.

sounds great based on the website info and price .
see if you can get a sound sample .
even without , worth a gamble ...

Ukuleles are classified by their scale length so the instrument you describe would be a concert with a smaller than usual body so, yes, I would expect it to sound like a concert but just with a smaller body.
Indeed. The lower frequencies of the C string would be reduced compared to same build of full size concert, whereas higher frequencies on A string would be more emphasized. I have a cheap laminate small body concert for travel and I like it.

I have a couple of Millar long neck sopranos. I think they are great ukes. I can't directly compare the sound to my regular sopranos as they are made of different woods. They do sound like sopranos though, not at all like concerts. While I like the larger neck I also like the additional string tension. Further Millar ukes are great and I think punch much higher than where they are priced (I own six Millars).

I recently put Fremont black fluorocarbon hard strings on my Kawaii soprano and love how they sound and feel. I guess I'm a high tension string guy. I guess it comes from many years of playing bass guitar.

I have a couple of Millar long neck sopranos. I think they are great ukes. I can't directly compare the sound to my regular sopranos as they are made of different woods. They do sound like sopranos though, not at all like concerts. While I like the larger neck I also like the additional string tension. Further Millar ukes are great and I think punch much higher than where they are priced (I own six Millars).

I recently put Fremont black fluorocarbon hard strings on my Kawaii soprano and love how they sound and feel. I guess I'm a high tension string guy. I guess it comes from many years of playing bass guitar.
Which Millar's do you have ?
I had a chance recently to play some of their models including the long neck sopranos .
I agree , they lean toward soprano voicing .
And also agree Millar makes great ukuleles and offers great value .

A big advantage of a "long neck soprano" vs a regular soprano is that the longer neck usually gives you 14 frets to the body while regular sopranos usually have 12 frets. Also, you get more space between frets, which (to me) makes them easier to play when I'm playing above the 7th fret. "Above" means closer to the bridge than to the nut.

If you play mostly first-position chords and have trouble with space for your chubby fingers, a wider fretboard will probably be more helpful than a longer fretboard. The Islander soprano ukuleles that are sold on this website (click on the shop button at the top of the page) are some of the more affordable soprano ukuleles with wider necks.

A big advantage of a "long neck soprano" vs a regular soprano is that the longer neck usually gives you 14 frets to the body while regular sopranos usually have 12 frets. Also, you get more space between frets, which (to me) makes them easier to play when I'm playing above the 7th fret. "Above" means closer to the bridge than to the nut.

If you play mostly first-position chords and have trouble with space for your chubby fingers, a wider fretboard will probably be more helpful than a longer fretboard. The Islander soprano ukuleles that are sold on this website (click on the shop button at the top of the page) are some of the more affordable soprano ukuleles with wider necks.
Thanks for the reply! I have mostly played Concert but since i recently bought a Soprano i can't seem to put the damn thing down. Fingering issues aside i simply adore the sound and am gravitating more to it's sound for the styles i like to play.
Ya...sadly i am in Central Europe so most things from the US are out of the question when it comes to shipping and duty costs. Being that Flight, Ortega, and Baton Rouge are based in the hood so we get a lot of those alongside the Kala, Mahalo, and the other typical Chinese fare. Been looking at other options nonetheless. My hope is to find something solid top, or all solid wood, with a more comfy fret spacing, even if it is a 12 fret. Albeit the long necks are very intriguing since I am used to concert, but was concerned they might not sound like a regular sized soprano. I have to make a wise decision as the wife is getting annoyed by the recent ukulele invasion. lol

Which Millar's do you have ?
I had a chance recently to play some of their models including the long neck sopranos .
I agree , they lean toward soprano voicing .
And also agree Millar makes great ukuleles and offers great value .
I have this one that Baz reviewed. It's one of my favorite ukes.
I also have this one:
Both are great, but I prefer the sp210ll because it projects like crazy.

I also recently bought a Millar jumbo tenor. What an great uke that is.

Thanks for the reply! I have mostly played Concert but since i recently bought a Soprano i can't seem to put the damn thing down. Fingering issues aside i simply adore the sound and am gravitating more to it's sound for the styles i like to play.
Ya...sadly i am in Central Europe so most things from the US are out of the question when it comes to shipping and duty costs. Being that Flight, Ortega, and Baton Rouge are based in the hood so we get a lot of those alongside the Kala, Mahalo, and the other typical Chinese fare. Been looking at other options nonetheless. My hope is to find something solid top, or all solid wood, with a more comfy fret spacing, even if it is a 12 fret. Albeit the long necks are very intriguing since I am used to concert, but was concerned they might not sound like a regular sized soprano. I have to make a wise decision as the wife is getting annoyed by the recent ukulele invasion. lol
With this information, I advise proceeding cautiously with a LNsop. You will hear here (!) that they are more like a concert and more like a soprano. And this may reflect the brand and poster's preferences. I have a custom LN, and it is much closer to a concert than it is to my sopranos for the sound.

Since it is the sound you are after, then it may be safer to look at the different nut widths and spacing of sopranos than increasing the scale, which will shift it toward a concert sound, with perhaps increased tension, sustain, and volume.

I was just browsing a reputable local music store one day and pulled an Ohana SK30M off the wall, not expecting much (it's <<$200usd) but was so blown away I took it home. It has a 35mm nut, solid mahogany, nice low action. A great easy-playing, balanced woody sounding uke. I take it outside a lot when I don't want to worry about my expensive ukes

I have a Shima which has a tenor width fretboard, concert neck, and a soprano body. Really nicely made and sounds great. I tune it down half a step.

Top Bottom