Kala NSL-KOA-T Revelator Tenor - REVIEW

This CNC hollowing out process just seems extremely wasteful. Maybe if they used a common sustainable wood source it wouldn't matter, but even with the shallow body it looks like one could cut sets to build three or four regular ukes from the same block of wood instead of the wood chips and sawdust.
Same process Bonanza Ukes use. Not to mention most chambered electric ukes and guitars.

I agree with the "Proof is in the playing" concept. With all the reviews and sound recordings leaning heavily in favor of "a great playing and sounding unique uke", only the individual can decide the worth of the design work, tooling expense and luthier training required to get to that sound and feel. Looks are a lot easier, as Pete said, some will like it, some won't. As for price, because it isn't a big high end production name like any of the Big K's or Martin doesn't mean it's not worth the price.

My excited Revelator reviews are based strictly on my background from playing many ukes in and around this price point, and experiencing it's sound and feel as a "stands out in a crowd" uke. To get this voice out of a uke less than 1/2 the depth of a standard tenor, and all the comfort that comes from a slim body with excellent lines, well it's just something that doesn't come around very much. That's what I hoped to convey to others here who come from similar backgrounds but who hadn't had the chance to play one themselves.

Oh and one other thing I don't think has been mentioned in the reviews I've seen, the teardrop sound hole location also acts similar to a side sound port, allowing the player to hear more of that great voice up in their own ears. And I do love side sound ports!

Making a shot from beyond the three point line ;)

When you say "making" the shot, are you thinking that they priced it right enough, even as a bit of a stretch (the "from downtown" part)? I value your opinion, but I'm a little lost here. 🤣

As I noted, I'm okay with what they're asking, but it's irrelevant because I'm not currently looking to buy anything, and I also understand why others might feel it's too much.

My bottom line is currently, "C'mon, why does anything cost ANYTHING? Can't we just let Gene Roddenberry be right already and as a society just evolve beyond money?" 🤣 Because I am ready to boldly go, baby!

Last edited:
I agree with the "Proof is in the playing" concept. With all the reviews and sound recordings leaning heavily in favor of "a great playing and sounding unique uke", only the individual can decide the worth of the design work, tooling expense and luthier training required to get to that sound and feel. Looks are a lot easier, as Pete said, some will like it, some won't. As for price, because it isn't a big high end production name like any of the Big K's or Martin doesn't mean it's not worth the price.

My excited Revelator reviews are based strictly on my background from playing many ukes in and around this price point, and experiencing it's sound and feel as a "stands out in a crowd" uke. To get this voice out of a uke less than 1/2 the depth of a standard tenor, and all the comfort that comes from a slim body with excellent lines, well it's just something that doesn't come around very much. That's what I hoped to convey to others here who come from similar backgrounds but who hadn't had the chance to play one themselves.

Oh and one other thing I don't think has been mentioned in the reviews I've seen, the teardrop sound hole location also acts similar to a side sound port, allowing the player to hear more of that great voice up in their own ears. And I do love side sound ports!
Kala ISN’T a ‘big production name?’ Really??

This CNC hollowing out process just seems extremely wasteful. Maybe if they used a common sustainable wood source it wouldn't matter, but even with the shallow body it looks like one could cut sets to build three or four regular ukes from the same block of wood instead of the wood chips and sawdust.
I suppose it depends what they do with the dust - Pete Mai for example, uses his in composting so not wasted

Thanks for all these comments. The 'price' is always what YOU are willing to pay for it and how you perceive 'value for money'. In my business, it costs me £120 an hour to contract out the vectorizing of inlay designs and then I have to spend 2 - 4 hours getting these onto the work. At the end of his life and at the top of his game, Sam Maloof was charging $35,000 for a rocking chair. Others have defined this design as coming from an 'internationally' known builder of some standing - me. I and the team at the Kala studio workshop took the time and effort to get it right and these are as good, if not better as any instrument I built prior to the sale of the design in 2022. You can argue until the cows come home and find fault or praise - it is all subjective but I wager if this design had originated from any other 'K' brand there would not have been such animated criticism as there has been here, especially comments like 'wasteful process'. What is wasted? On what do you base this conclusion? As a batch builder with over 30 years of experience in traditional and non-standard building techniques I can assure you this is no more wasteful than the building of a solid body Ko'olau CE-1 SP Koa Tenor Electric Ukulele which has a sale price of $1990 and is currently out of stock at The Ukulelesite website. And FYI, Ko'olau instruments are built by a small team also in a small studio workshop using, where appropriate, CNC technology.

I have no idea why using a CNC router is considered by some, no less skillful than wielding a Lie Nielsen handplane or Japanese pull saw. Nearly every builder I know has transferred from hand bending to using some mechanical means to bend the sides and most would give their right arm to have necks rough machined for them! Nearly every producer of stuff in wood that I know uses machines to prepare their stock - Maloof's chair is a .bandsaw' chair but to see him use this machine as a carving tool is something to behold. Soooo... unless you are involved in the building or manufacture of instruments or any hand build artifact for that matter, you cannot and probably should not comment on the cost of the process. The Revelator is 'part built' on the CNC router - 25% of it; the rest is by hand. Labor costs are the highest financial component in a build and if you want USA-made stuff you have to pay the going rate for skilled labour.

Yes, the instrument is more than the sum total of it's parts and the catalog of tools used to build it. The proof is in the playing.

Dawn interned for me when I did my last production run of The Revelators and helped prepare parts for shipping to Kala. She has an interesting background as an engineer, educator, and woodturner. Of the crew who helped at the pop-up, she was the only one who got the neck-heel blend straight out of the trap, wielding a Merlin carver with confidence and accuracy. So I think you might be interested in her insights:

As a very proud owner of one of the last Revelators made in Pete's workshop in November 2022 I have to disagree with you on the price. The quality and sound of this instrument is testament to the huge amount of skill and attention to detail that goes into the hand finishing and hand carving of this outstanding work of art. It is definitely not "Made By Robots!" and this comment really upset me and gave the wrong impression. Yes, the main body is produced on a CNC router, but that is just one small step in the complete process and no different to all other high end ukes, where machinery is used to cut out most blank parts before assembly. It's the many hours it takes to then skilfully assemble those parts and hand finish them that goes unseen and unconsidered by most. I still consider Revelators as "hand made" because I have been privileged to see them being built first hand as one of Pete's interns. I am not criticising your reviews as I am a huge fan of your channel and donate regularly and realise that your point of view is from a completely different perspective, but I do think you need to revisit this and correct a few errors. For example, the fingerboard is not edge-bound to hide the end of the frets. It is made of one solid piece. The frets are carefully trimmed and the slots cut on CNC in a pocket. This is actually more time consuming and costly as each fret has to be carefully measured and trimmed by hand, individually and accurately. So I hope you can appreciate that when something looks so sleek and simple by design, that it actually takes a lot more to achieve than meets the eye. An excellent analogy is a Formula 1 car and the eyewatering costs there!

Hats off to Pete for coming up with something really innovative.

I would love to see a Baritone Revelator offered by Kala. Oh, well...........................

Just received my Master Korina yesterday. It’s all I was hoping it to be and more. The slim design and light weight are a surprise the first time you pick it up, no matter how much you’ve read about it in the reviews. But it’s the wonderful sound that is the most endearing. I’m amazed at the power this thin little body puts out and I love the depth that the low G string gives it. Thank you Pete and Kala for this awesome instrument!

Top Bottom