Kala KA-CT- SA-BG Contour Series Baritone - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I am not sure if you planted the baritone bug with your Aurora review but I am so glad it happened exactly at the right time for these to come out.
I decided to get the spruce baritone based mostly on your tenor review (I wanted spruce for more classical guitar sound for classical music) and I am so glad I got it. I've been playing it non-stop since Friday. There really isn't much wrong with it, especially for the price.
If I could nitpick a single thing not to sound too fanboyish, the comfort edge could be like 2 cm longer for the way I hold it but that is about it.

Nice - yep the baritone bug only bit me properly recently (though have reviewed quite a few over the years). Had this Contour Series been out when I bought that Aurora I would have bought one of these!
I am not sure if you planted the baritone bug with your Aurora review but I am so glad it happened exactly at the right time for these to come out.
I decided to get the spruce baritone based mostly on your tenor review (I wanted spruce for more classical guitar sound for classical music) and I am so glad I got it. I've been playing it non-stop since Friday. There really isn't much wrong with it, especially for the price.
If I could nitpick a single thing not to sound too fanboyish, the comfort edge could be like 2 cm longer for the way I hold it but that is about i

I'm really wanting an 8 string bari right now... I guess I'll wait and see if this one is adapted to become an 8 later... We'll see...

I checked your YouTube channel this morning to see if you’d done the review yet, and was happily rewarded. I’m excited to see how well it scored. It certainly has nailed the aesthetics, and thankfully dispenses with the cutaway, side sound port, and pickup that similar models have.

I also figured baritones were just awkward tweeners, until I held one. What a nice size! Now I do wonder if they’ll put two more strings on it and tune it ADGCEA 😃

So Barry, are ya keeping this one?

Last edited:
I checked your YouTube channel this morning to see if you done the review yet, and was happily rewarded. I’m excited to see how well it scored. It certainly has nailed the aesthetics, and thankfully dispenses with the cutaway, side sound port, and pickup that similar models have.

I also figured baritones were just awkward tweeners, until I held one. What a nice size! Now I do wonder if they’ll put two more strings on it and tune it ADGCEA 😃

So Barry, are ya keeping this one?
Nah - going back tomorrow!

Another much appreciated review and one that sent me back to a prior one for a sound only comparison. Now admittedly my hearing is not what it was 30 years ago due to age and stupidity with loud music, however I was definitely able to hear a major difference between models which should be expected with the materials and builds being very different.

This Kala seemed smooth and a bit on the warmer side for lack of a better description which really surprised me especially when I listened to your review of the Pono MB-e that sounds basically the same as my vanilla MB. The MB had more brightness or twang to many of the notes and while nicely warm in the lower tones was less so than the Kala in your review.

Again, might be my hearing that is creating a false perception of the two instruments as you play them differently. However I really dont think so and once more thank you for reviewing both and being able to listen to each.

Top Bottom