Kala Elite 1/2/3 Koa series ukes

MarTay6

Reaction score
I just discovered these ukes- mostly from Reverb videos- then started digging a little more into them- and they sound like really great ukes at a decent price! However is also appears they are not being made any more.... am I correct? I know I saw one on Reverb that had been on there 2 years- Looked nice, and at a decent price.. makes me wonder why?

Last edited:
I’ll check the ukes out.

I’m really bummed about my recent purchase of a kala uke. The fret space and string space plays like a small concert and I have had to keep the battery pack secure with painters tape and makeshift cardboard wedge.

The first thing to know is that the Kala Elite line is very different from Kala's mass produced instruments. These instruments are USA made and each instrument receives individual attention from skilled craftsmen.

I own a Kala Elite Concert and it has been a wonderful instrument. The build quality is exacting: tight joins, a clean interior and excellent tone and volume. They are made in Kala's custom shop in Petaluma California. If you go to Kala's website, you can learn more about them. There is a shop tour on YouTube if you are interested in seeing the their craftsmen in action. There are plenty of reviews of the Kala Elites online as well.

Because the Kala brand is so ubiquitous and associated with mass production, the Kala Elite line has had a challenge breaking into a higher market level, so it is not difficult to find an excellent price for the Kala Elite instruments on the secondary market.

The nut is fairly wide at 38mm and the neck is "D" shaped. That's an important consideration, so keep that in mind when shopping.

Bluesy.

So what your saying is that kala elite build quality shouldn’t be compared to the mass produced kala.

from my observation they stopped producing them about a year and half ago and even before availability was very rare

So what your saying is that kala elite build quality shouldn’t be compared to the mass produced kala.
Absolutely! Kala Elites are handmade in the US and nothing at all like Kala's regular import line. My myrtle Kala Elite is just as nicely made as any uke I own, and sounds wonderful. The nut width is great for those who like a wider nut. There are some used ones out there that are selling at pretty tempting prices for what you'd be getting. If I had more money I'd get one of each tonewood. I love mine.

I recall that Mike Upton (founder and CEO of Kala) appeared on one of the Hawaii Music Supply podcasts a couple of years ago to discuss the Kala Elite line. That video was widely discussed in this forum and a lot of people were not impressed.

My personal experience with Kala Elite is that the instruments are pretty, but feel heavy and over-built compared to the Hawaiian K-brands. At one time, they were a little cheaper than the K-brands. That was a few years ago and I haven't paid much attention since then.

I just discovered these ukes- mostly from Reverb videos- then started digging a little more into them- and they sound like really great ukes at a decent price! However is also appears they are not being made any more.... am I correct? I know I saw one on Reverb that had been on there 2 years- Looked nice, and at a decent price.. makes me wonder why?
There's a beauty kala elite on the tus site; sometimes I wonder if it's not sold because people associate kala with mass market entry level ukes. I wonder if @bazmaz has reviewed the kala elite series?

I think my Kala Elite Dogwood 'hog soprano was one of the best sounding ukes I have ever played. I personally do not like such wide nuts and spacing, and that is what led me to sell it. Besides that, I thought it was just fantastic.

I wonder if @bazmaz has reviewed the kala elite series?

At least once I know of, discussed here at UU, and here at his website with the full review and especially lovely photos. This might be the best-looking individual Kala I've seen! He gives it a high score, and compares it favorably to Kanile'a and Kamaka. I think he makes the case rather well, and hope that people actually read the review at his site as part of the conversation.

_DSC0833.JPG

Of course as he notes in announcing a review of a "regular" (Asian-manufactured laminate) Kala here at UU, "I've reviewed a fair few Kala's in my time and they rarely put a foot wrong." It's certainly fine to talk about the confusion that they've created for themselves with lots of cheap instruments vs. the Elites, but it's also worth including in the conversation that they're making pretty good stuff within each price range. You don't necessarily have to punch miles above your weight if you're delivering $200 of value for a $200 uke, right? And indeed, the $200 uke in this case gets a solid recommendation from Baz!

At least once I know of, discussed here at UU, and here at his website with the full review and especially lovely photos. This might be the best-looking individual Kala I've seen! He gives it a high score, and compares it favorably to Kanile'a and Kamaka. I think he makes the case rather well, and hope that people actually read the review at his site as part of the conversation.

_DSC0833.JPG

Of course as he notes in announcing a review of a "regular" (Asian-manufactured laminate) Kala here at UU, "I've reviewed a fair few Kala's in my time and they rarely put a foot wrong." It's certainly fine to talk about the confusion that they've created for themselves with lots of cheap instruments vs. the Elites, but it's also worth including in the conversation that they're making pretty good stuff within each price range. You don't necessarily have to punch miles above your weight if you're delivering $200 of value for a $200 uke, right? And indeed, the $200 uke in this case gets a solid recommendation from Baz!
I've learned so much from Baz!

I've learned so much from Baz!

Me too! I watch @bazmaz even when I'm not interested in the specific uke he's featuring, just because he's so entertaining and so informative on so many aspects of building, playing, and listening to ukuleles. Heck, I've even learned a few of his song tutorials! One of the peaks of my week!

Last edited:
I just received my Kala Elite 1 Koa this afternoon- and am very happy with it! The only downside is the neck is a bit clubby, but I can live with that.
I particularly like the wider1-1/2" nut width, as I'm a former fingerstyle guitar player- I was used to the wider nut width on my older Taylor 712, with a 1-3/4" nut width.
I have a Millar 'Phil Doleman' soprano that I absolutely LOVE everything about it- except that the nut width is just a bit too narrow for me. Very sad about that.... because it's a fantastic little uke!
As I bought this as an early birthday present for myself, I won't get to enjoy it until June- but I'll sneak a little time on it here and there when my wife's not around! :)

Last edited:
I feel your pain. When I was allowed to buy my Kamaka HF-3LDS Centennial tenor, I couldn't play it until I hit a certain milestone in my weight loss. It just sat there ensconced in its blue velvet case while I did burpees and lifted things above my head with monomanic purpose.

I feel your pain. When I was allowed to buy my Kamaka HF-3LDS Centennial tenor, I couldn't play it until I hit a certain milestone in my weight loss. It just sat there ensconced in its blue velvet case while I did burpees and lifted things above my head with monomanic purpose.
LOL!!! I hope you're now playing and enjoying it!! :)

I purchased a Kala Elite Custom Spruce/Myrtle tenor from a member here. I was a lovely instrument. A very high quality build. Nice bright, full tone. Maybe a little too bass heavy with Low-G strings. Excellent projection and sustain. (I think myrtle is a very underappreciated tone wood.) I thought the neck to be very comfortable.

To be honest, there was nothing about the Kala Elite that I didn't like. I sold it because I found myself playing my Kinnard & Ono tenors more often.

I thought the value for the Elite series was pretty good. They probably would have done better calling the line "Elite Ukuleles" by Kala USA or similar to clearly set it apart from the mass-produced Kalas.

The differences between the 1,2,& 3 Elites were cosmetic. Nicer wood, fancier binding & rosette, etc.

The Kala Elite hard cases are excellent.

Last edited:
I purchased a Kala Elite Custom Spruce/Myrtle tenor from a member here. I was a lovely instrument. A very high quality build. Nice bright, full tone. Maybe a little too bass heavy with Low-G strings. Excellent projection and sustain. (I think myrtle is a very underappreciated tone wood.) I thought the neck to be very comfortable.

To be honest, there was nothing about the Kala Elite that I didn't like. I sold it because I found myself playing my Kinnard & Ono tenors more often.

I thought the value for the Elite series was pretty good. They probably would have done better calling the line "Elite Ukuleles" by Kala USA or similar to clearly set it apart from the mass-produced Kalas.

The differences between the 1,2,& 3 Elites were cosmetic. Nicer wood, fancier binding & rosette, etc.

The Kala Elite hard cases are excellent.
My Kala 1Koa didn't come in a hard case- rather a very nice soft case... no complaints about that! The only other feedback I would have is the satin finish is rather 'porous'- rather than a smooth satin finish, not what I'd have expected, but I don't have a real problem with it. Mine was new old stock- the grain on the top was quite wild, which is perhaps why it never sold, but me being a lifelong woodworker- love the wood in this uke!

Last edited:
Top Bottom