New Uke Day (NUD) NUD Kala Elite Koa Soprano

Squirrel40

Reaction score
I am not really much of a Soprano player but have been curious about Kala Elite ukulele's. This one was a floor model at a music shop and has a couple of small dings so I think I got a good deal on it. Overall I really like this uke. This has such a nice warm tone and sounds great with good volume. I was hoping it would have a wider nut but that must be on the Concert and Tenors. The 35mm is a little cramped for me and the truss bar does add a lot of weight. Kala1.jpg

Attachments

• kala2.jpg
    kala2.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 8
Nice soprano. The Kala Elites are fine ukuleles.

I don't understand why a ukulele, especially soprano size, needs a truss rod?
I have a couple of Kalas, a baritone and a super . extra long tenor. While the tone is fine, they do remind me more of mini guitars in structure than ukuleles. Both are heavier than say my Martin, Ohana or Rebel. Just a guess, but perhaps that is why a truss rod.

Congrats.

I have a couple of Kalas, a baritone and a super . extra long tenor. While the tone is fine, they do remind me more of mini guitars in structure than ukuleles. Both are heavier than say my Martin, Ohana or Rebel. Just a guess, but perhaps that is why a truss rod.

Instruments of this type are approaching parlour guitar size, so some argument can be made for the inclusion of a truss rod. However, for a soprano??

Kala Elites are fantastic

After a few days of playing this I am really liking it more than I thought I would. The neck profile is great and probably the most comfortable out of my 4 ukes. Still cramped with the 35mm nut but as long as I don't play anything with Dm I am good. It is still strung with nylons which I am not a fan of but will switch those out. I think the strings are a little high at the nut and might get that checked out. all in all I am really impressed and if a Concert or Tenor deal comes my way I would definitely consider one.

Top Bottom