I don't think this is cool at all

This is a recent advertisement from a popular seller on UU showing the charges for set-ups in low cost ukuleles. Are you saying that this leading seller is not going to continue to offer a set-up as an add-on? Maybe this is just a one off? View attachment 143132
Kalas (not Elites) and other low cost ukes (lower end Anuenue, Kumu, Leolani, etc ) don't get free setups at TUS. Pono and above $400? do. It's been like that for awhile, pretty sure it was discussed on this very board when the change was made.

Using the Setup page, TUS says the fees are "Overall the full setup services we provide would usually cost over $100 from a repair shop or instrument technician. We provide our FULL SETUP service at a reasonable price of $30 for instruments under $300 in value / $20 for instruments $300-$399 / and it is available at no extra cost for instruments $399 and over.

However, there are some inconsistencies on TUS pages from time to time. I think they list so many instruments that there is a lot of copy and pasting, or using of page templates that result in slight mistakes.

For example this page: https://theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/kala/kala-ka-sseby-b-ce-spruce-ebony-baritone.html this is a $389 uke and Full Setup is included in the dropdown.

This page: https://theukulelesite.com/shop-by/...c-all-solid-tenor-cutaway-electric-gloss.html for a $389 uke says Full Setup is $40.00.

This page: https://theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/kala/kala-solid-cedar-top-acacia-tenor-ka-scac-t8.html for a $389 uke says Full Setup is $30.00.

The difference is, I have no doubt that a phone call would clear this up, I would not be shocked that they would include set up as a result of the conversation (although I certainly don't know that), and there would NOT be any sort of upsell nonsense. Andrew and TUS have built up quite a bit of credit with me and I'm sure many others. His past professionalism and customer service have been proven over and over. That is in stark contrast to the subject of this thread.

IMO.

or an email...and they would prob respond with something like, 'pick the one you want and we'll throw in the setup for free and/or we can just put a little $ into your account and you can decide later, thanks for letting us know about the discrepancy'. the difference is night and day. what I find a bit comical is that #1 name-dropped TUS in a youtube video, said he would go visit the guys while on Oahu...can you even imagine that happening???

Last edited:
Well, this made it to 20 pages. My wife bet me twenty bucks it wouldn't. I won. Time to close this thread. I realize I don't have to read it but the popcorn bag is empty after 20 pages of "down the drain with ULTP".

Well, Patrick, were getting there... If we keep going off track like this we will make it for sure...

What was the over/under again? What was the bet for 40?

Kalas (not Elites) and other low cost ukes (lower end Anuenue, Kumu, Leolani, etc ) don't get free setups at TUS. Pono and above $400? do. It's been like that for awhile, pretty sure it was discussed on this very board when the change was made.
Yes, this.^^^ It's not a new thing, it has been that way for a while. Comparing TUS wuth ULTP is like comparing night and day.

This is a screen grab of an advertisement from another vendor competing with ULTP, check out the cost of a set-up. I am not sure if this is a new thing for this site or if they have always charged extra for a set-up on lower cost instruments. The more expensive instruments on this site have the cost of the set-up included in the purchase price. I saw a video where the owner said it is a cost to do set-ups, but it is an add-on that reduces the chances that a customer will return a uke because they don't like it. It looks like charging for set-ups is going to be an on-going thing in the world of ukuleles?
View attachment 143131
I bought my first tenor, a Pono RTC(S) from TUS in Oct. 2017. At that time a full setup was included for all ukuleles they sold. 2 day FedEX shipping was free for orders $400 or more. From the listing:

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 4.40.46 PM.png

I think the margins on ukuleles that cost less than $400 have become small enough that it doesn't make sense for them to offer a full setup with purchase. At least they are upfront about it and are clear about what they charge and what is done.

They don't obfuscate by having so many options and extras that it's difficult to determine what you are getting.

I hope Mim can continue to offer setups with every uke she sells, but she may have to bow to the economics eventually.

Time is money. It takes time and skill to do a quality setup.

Speaking of cases.... when I bought my Koaloha from a HNL ukulele shop they included the Koaloha case for free. Same exact case at #1 is $150, marked down from $199 (ukes are the same price everywhere). I'm not sure they are even that much at the factory. wrt TUS, they have the Koaloha case for $95 and on occasion they will include an Oahu case for free with purchase of a Pono, even the plain old Mx/Ax/MGx.

I don't understand why anyone is defending his actions. There's marketing and there's fraud, the two are not the same. His fictional perpetual sale pricing is fraudulent because it's against FTC promotional guidelines. Period.

Federal Trade Commission on this practice:

And, I'd be very surprised if the State of California didn't also have something on the books about this type of shady behavior.

And, before the whataboutisms or the lazy red herring that it's just capitalism, Mim, SUS, etc. providing added value to distinguish themselves in a competitive market is capitalism.

But, deceptive pricing isn't capitalism, it's just fraud.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220902-072800.jpg
    Screenshot_20220902-072800.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 35
I don't understand why anyone is defending his actions. There's marketing and there's fraud, the two are not the same. His fictional perpetual sale pricing is fraudulent because it's against FTC promotional guidelines. Period.

And, I'd be very surprised if the State of California didn't also have something on the books about this type of shady behavior.

And, before the whataboutisms or the lazy red herring that it's just capitalism, Mim, SUS, etc. providing added value to distinguish themselves in a competitive market is capitalism.

Username checks out 👌

I also wholeheartedly agree.

So. . . If so many UU folk are in agreement that this business's practices are shady and likely outright fraudulent, what keeps you (all) from filing an official complaint through FTC's consumer reporting portal? As someone correctly stated earlier in this thread, fact and libel/ slander are mutually exclusive, thus there is nothing to fear but fear itself, and there is both safety and credibility in numbers (e.g. a significant volume of filed complaints).
https://reportfraud.ftc.gov

Top Bottom