They Don't Eat Corned Beef & Cabbage on St. Patrick's Day in Ireland!!!

Mike $

Reaction score
Anyone going to serve a traditional Irish dish for St. Patrick's day? I'm serving up my usual Guinness and Beef Stew with Irish Soda Bread and washing it all down with more Guinness, and maybe a Killian's or two. No dessert this year since I've given up sweets for lent. How about you?

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all, even if you do serve corned beef and garbage.

True, and the only place we ever saw corned beef & cabbage in the 5 years we lived there was in touristy Blarney. Also, green beer gets snickered at there.

Wife's family came over from Ireland around 1870's so brother in law thinks he is expert on all things Irish. Tried to tell everyone it's traditional to eat roast beef not corned beef which he can't stand. I told him only the English could afford roast beef and Irish were happy just to have food back then. Needless to say another disagreement between us similar to debate if Jamison's or Bushmills is a more traditional whiskey.

At our house tomorrow is cabbage and potatoes and maybe a ham hock.

And for the record Sexton is my go to Irish whiskey when I run out of tequila.

Last edited:
Wife's family came over from Ireland around 1870's so brother in law thinks he is expert on all things Irish. Tried to tell everyone it's traditional to eat roast beef not corned beef which he can't stand. I told him only the English could afford roast beef and Irish were happy just to have food back then. Needless to say another disagreement between us similar to debate if Jamison's or Bushmills is a more traditional whiskey.

At our house tomorrow is cabbage and potatoes and maybe a ham hock.

And for the record Sexton is my go to Irish whiskey when I run out of tequila.
I am more of a proper 12 kind of guy because I like whiskies that are in your face like Laphroaig. And the non-smoothness of a Proper 12 is more in keeping with my taste. I don't understand corned beef; it is so expensive. I understand cabbage which is cheap but the corned beef seems out of keeping with a frugal meal that would be required by a people under the thumb of a colonial power such as the English.

Some background-

Since I am not in Ireland and am not Irish, I don't stress over what they do or don't eat. As in much of life, I suggest to everyone, do what works for you

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all, even if you do serve corned beef and garbage.

Buddies across the pond tell me that the traditional Irish dish is boiled cabbage and potatoes and bacon (smoked pork).

Corned beef and cabbage is an American Irish thing that began in the 1800s when migrants were fed salted beef during passage across the Atlantic.

Salted beef (and pork) in barrels was used to feed the army, navy and merchant marine.

Modern corned beef is fancied up with peppercorns and spices.

Last edited:
Friends invited us for dinner last night. They had a full size Christmas tree in the corner, probably left from the holidays. But, it was decorated for St. Paddy's Day. I got to play 8-10 Irish Drinking Songs on my uke, and was surprised I remembered all the lyrics, especially the long songs like Bog Down In the Vallley-O.

20240316_174330.jpg

Last edited:
Next thing I know, someone will tell me that the pilgrims didn't actually eat turkey and pie at the end of November! 😋

Next thing I know, someone will tell me that the pilgrims didn't actually eat turkey and pie at the end of November! 😋
… Or that the pilgrims & Native Americans didn’t actually sit down together at a long table with a nice centerpiece in the middle.

Well my Brother-in-law brought corned beef and cabbage to our house for dinner yesterday and we ate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: EDW
Top Bottom