Honu or Kanilea?

I love it!

Hello All!

I LOVE this feedback! Seriously, I do. bring it on- likes, dislikes, etc. Just so everyone knows- there are more models planned for the future and already in the works! Duly noted that my bridge is a turn off to some- actually it isn't a suprise to me and it never really occurred to me to try and make something for everyone. My round ukulele head as well... generally I've never been one to be considered the norm or follow the pack... but I guess that's why I haven't had a boss (other than my wife and now my 3-year old daughter) for quite a number of years now...

fortunately enough people like the HONU that I've sold mostly everything I've made. But maybe in a year or so I'll do a complete model change and come out with a new series, thereby making the HONU series obsolete and collector's items... hmmm...

Kitchiness aside, to manufacture that HONU ebony bridge is a real pain! It's A grade ebony and hand carved. to get the whole thing flat enough without any gaps takes a bit of effort and wood that has to have been cured for years (usually). ebony is one of the most difficult woods to get down to the proper moisture content so it doesn't move anymore. that's one of the reasons, after some time, you sometimes find fret wire sticking out a little bit-it's wood shrinkage over time.

Head- I've been told my some players that the design makes it easier for them to hit the chords near the first fret.

I grew up swimming, surfing, and diving with the HONU of the Big Island, so I've always had a great connection with and love for them. Even though they've scared the hell out me so many times while surfing / body boarding at Honoli'i! The water there seems to always be so dark and they pop up for air right next to you! And there are so many of them! They would be popping up every 15 minutes and they'd still make me jump. I think UluaPounder will concur with me on this... we were quite often there together! Brings back the memories...

I think I might set up a thread and ask the player / customer what kind of uke they would like to see. What do you guys think about that? maybe I'll have some sort of contest to design an uke, from the players perspective. We'll start with a blank slate and go from there. I'll consider the manufacturing ability of what is designed.

Sound interesting and something fun to do? it does to me, but then again, I probably have no clue what kind of can of worms I'm opening myself up to, since I cannot even finish everything I'm supposed to doing anyway. But it sounds a lot more fun right now than staying up till 2am every night working on my taxes!

If I get some positive feedback on that, I'll put more thought into it. I have a bunch of koa that's itchin to be made into ukes! :D LOL

Aloha!

fortunately enough people like the HONU that I've sold mostly everything I've made. But maybe in a year or so I'll do a complete model change and come out with a new series, thereby making the HONU series obsolete and collector's items... hmmm...

Haha, I hope you keep the line going. I was going to sell mine to make room for a custom, but if it's going to become a collector's item....:p

Kitchiness aside, to manufacture that HONU ebony bridge is a real pain! It's A grade ebony and hand carved. to get the whole thing flat enough without any gaps takes a bit of effort and wood that has to have been cured for years (usually). ebony is one of the most difficult woods to get down to the proper moisture content so it doesn't move anymore. that's one of the reasons, after some time, you sometimes find fret wire sticking out a little bit-it's wood shrinkage over time.

The A grade ebony is no joke. It is so smooth and the grains are so tight I actually wondered if it was wood when I first got it. The ebony fretboard on my much more expensive William King tenor is of the same grade.

Head- I've been told my some players that the design makes it easier for them to hit the chords near the first fret.

It's a cool design. You should stick with it. IMHO anyway.

I think I might set up a thread and ask the player / customer what kind of uke they would like to see. What do you guys think about that? maybe I'll have some sort of contest to design an uke, from the players perspective. We'll start with a blank slate and go from there. I'll consider the manufacturing ability of what is designed.

It would be fun. At the very least it should be a pretty entertaining thread. Go for it!

Hello All!

If I get some positive feedback on that, I'll put more thought into it. I have a bunch of koa that's itchin to be made into ukes! :D LOL

Aloha!

I'm always happy to see another pineapple ukulele coming on the market. :D

Even though I'm still two minds about the headstock, DON'T change it. These little differences are part of what Honu, Honu. There are (too) many uke companies that cater to the masses. (probably one of the reasons people eventually head to custom-made ukes)

Jorma:

I LOVE that a manufacturer is having a discussion with his customers - current and potential - over an open forum! Awesome.

And while I don't like the turtle bridge (but love the Honu logo on the headstock), I'm not every customer, eh!

I love everything about the xxx series except that bridge, so if you did come out with one that had a plainer bridge...well...my wallet might start screaming!

Thanks for coming out here to shoot the breeze with all of us!

P.S. One of my best Big Island memories ever was snorkeling at Kahalu'u beach park - I was looking down, watching the fishies - for some reason I looked up and was about 3 inches face-to-face with a gorgeous honu! We swam side-by-side for a little while - incredible, peaceful experience. I almost went and got a band of honu petroglyphs tattooed around my leg...almost.

Last edited:
I should add that I do love the shape of the headstock and the honu inlay.

A lot of people who visit the islands have happy memories involving the honu. I've had one swim up to me at the tidal pools on the north shore of O'ahu, and a few relaxing at Lawai Kai. The turtle bridge on the Honu ukes makes me more interested in them because of that.
But for the folks with more traditional tastes, a blinged-out XXX with a regular bridge might be more attractive.

Awesome to see another ukulele industry insider posting and listening to players! That alone is a nice selling point; I love it when companies are run by humans who are genuinely interested in what potential costumers think.

How about a demo/tour uke for us to try out? It is done in the guitar relams all the time. Ship to good standing members, they have a brief period with it, report feedback and ship it along to the next person!

Top Bottom