Honu or Kanilea?

Big Island Ukulele Co. - aka HONU Ukulele

Hello all! I hope you guys don't mind if I jump in on the thread here. To be up front- I'm quite biased about which one I think you should get... but to answer a question you've had but no one has seemed to be able to answer- Is my highest end uke - XXX model- better quality than the lower end uke?

The simple answer, no (and yes)- BUT it doesn't lower the quality of the high end- the low end is of the same quality and craftmanship put into it as the $2000 - $3000 ukes out there by custom builders. the reason they only cost as little as they do is, 1) they are NOT made in Hawaii 2) I get the koa cheaper

They are still made by craftsman who spend as much time and attention to detail as the luthiers in Hawaii or anywhere else in the world for that matter- they just happen to live and build in Vietnam. They still have just as much pride and joy in making quality instruments as the best makers in the world. I can attest to this in their willingness to make the perfect instrument everytime and allow me to reject ukes as I need to.

that's why my XXX is close the $1000 and not a $400 model made in China nor is is a $2000 uke made in Hawaii.

if you were to buy the exact same model with the same specs from Kanielea, Da Silva, La Pronzi, KoAloha, Koolau etc. you probably have to pay at least $2000 and more likely $3000.

I feel the quality in craftmanship and sound would still rival their uke.

someday I'll get all this info on the website with pics of them in the factory to give everyone a better idea of it all.

I myself do business in Japan and I cannot really keep enough of the XXX in stock- because they do appreciate the value they get without having to spend $3000 for a simliar item just so they can have one that says, "Made in Hawaii."

Having grown up in Hawaii and owning businesses in Hawaii and Japan, visiting factories all around the world, it is my experience that there are many very well made ukes made just as good, if not better than most production level ukes coming from Hawaii. I'm not going to say ANY names here, but I'm sure even some of the well known makers would agree, "Made in Hawaii" does not always equal "Made with Quality." it means "Made with Aloha!" Although I will say that Kanilea DOES produce a quality instrument and their sound is probably "different" than mine- but does different equal better?

my wife is a professional violinist- we were buying violins for students and I was with her while she was picking out violins in the $1000 range. As she was going through them she easily dismissed certain ones becuase the sound wasn't the sound she liked, not because of anything to do with the quality of the sound.

Also, unlike violins that are made with generally the same species of wood that generally emit the same tonal qualities, the same cannot be said for koa. Koa has varying physical properties that will affect the sound of each one and generally mean no two ukes will sound exactly alike. there is another thread that discusses this a bit - light vs. dark koa. but it's true- I've goine through 100's of thousands of BF of koa and you'd think they were completely different species sometimes!

Also, just because someone gets paid less to make something, doesn't mean they are going to put out an inferior product. Overall we use high quality products in every part of the ukulele without cutting corners, from the parts used to the final finish work.

by the way- the koa button on the tuning gear took three years to perfect and a lot of errors along the way! that alone would probably add $100 up charge on someone elses ukulele, but it comes standard with our every model.

how about the laser engraving on the back of the headstock for the XXX? How about the pure black, high grade ebony fingerboard? that hand carved turtle is a killer to make perfect everytime... how about the real abalone small turtle inlays? I'd be real curious to know what a maker would up-charge for that. Do you know how difficult it is to get the little turtles legs perfectly inlayed? Even though it's "standard" on my XXX model, it still takes the same time and skill for any luthier to do those attnetion to details- I just don't have to pay my guys $15 - $25 / hour to do it! it's all these little things and attention to details that make this uke perhaps a $2500 uke by a famous and even a not so famous maker- because of the time and attention to detail involved in it.

Have you guys all noticed that most production level models are a matte finish? even a gloss finish often commands a $100 premium or isn't even offered for the <$400 ukes (expect for the really mass produced models). it's because it is just too hard to make a quality glossy finished uke in a hurry and still have it sound good. matte finish is cheaper and easier to allow the wood to sing. I used to use a matte finish, but the general market seems to want to buy a glossy over the matte, especially when so many are sold online. so I hae to work even harder to make it sound better while still keeping the costs down!

when one compares ukes, please make sure you are comparing the same specs to make it a real comparison.

as far as sound goes- well that always going to be a personal preference and there will be some who like mine and some who prefer others sound over mine. And that is great, otherwise we would all be just one big mass of the same sound without any variety.

by the way, I'm not sure people really know- my line isn't a mass produced line. It's not that I don't have the orders- it because I cannot rush quality control- if the koa isn't ready to make an uke, we cannot make an uke! if it isn't finished drying properly, it's not done. I'm competing with the $500 to $3000 ukes so I treat it as such and the attention to detail and inspection is rigourous!

I hope that gives you all a little better insight to this line of ukes and perhaps make your mind spin even more about which one to choose!

by the way, please all don't forget to check out the dealer page to find the authorized dealer who will take care of you, especially if you have a shop nearby. If you don't have a shop nearby, I think we should all start a grass-roots operation to commit to getting one shop near them to carry ukuleles, whether my brand or not! if you, the player and buyer, started bugging local shops to carry ukes they would put more thought into it. I always have appreciated paying a little extra for the brick and mortar operation in the instrument market. If you were able to play, touch, smell, and even lick your uke before you buy, we would all have a better fighting chance to get the uke that sounds and feels right for US!

Aloha !
Jorma:shaka:

These are really fantastic instruments, not only because of sound, looks, quality ,but the price! As has been written before a crafted uke of similiar quality, cost at least twice the price of a Honu. I think most will be impressed , if they get to try one.

Thank you Big Island! Very informative.
I know one day I'll end up with the xxx if I stick with the instrument!
Again, many thanks!

Jorma,

That's a very informative post. I have one of the concert XXX models (purchased from MGM in 2007 and supposed to be a sample/prototype) and I agree that the workmanship is outstanding. It actually is so perfectly made that it almost feels like it's not handcrafted (if that makes any sense). I think you should put out as much information about the Honu line as you can, as there were next to no information about them on the internet except for some Japanese websites. I think it's outstanding but even I thought they were made to compete against the likes of Pono and Mele instead of the higher end Hawaiian made ukes. I think information such as the ones you've written here would be greatly appreciated by ukulele enthusiasts.

Keep up the good work!

More about HONU

Jorma,

That's a very informative post. I have one of the concert XXX models (purchased from MGM in 2007 and supposed to be a sample/prototype) and I agree that the workmanship is outstanding. It actually is so perfectly made that it almost feels like it's not handcrafted (if that makes any sense). I think you should put out as much information about the Honu line as you can, as there were next to no information about them on the internet except for some Japanese websites. I think it's outstanding but even I thought they were made to compete against the likes of Pono and Mele instead of the higher end Hawaiian made ukes. I think information such as the ones you've written here would be greatly appreciated by ukulele enthusiasts.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

sometimes I get a little bit of diarrhea of the fingers... but it sure helps improve the typing skills...

Pricewise, the traditional and rope are competing against the PONO and MELE (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the MELE are also not made in Hawaii, right?), but if you put them next to each and really compare the workmanship, you'll find they are more like what you would expect to come out of a custom shop. The XXX is the one that is decked out with all the eye candy... it's what I call a "standard custom" It's got a lot of the stuff that one might want on their custom uke but wihtout the option to change anything on it. (BTW, please don't ask us to change stuff... we aren't able to... that's a big reason the prices are where they are...)

As for your ukulele, I actually remember when MGM sold that. I think he got it from a distributor in the mainland and brought it back to Hawaii to sell... I don't recall exactly, but I think it went something like that.

The "story" of that particular line of ukes has even more to it... Although I've had the XXX model for about 3 years now, only until this past January has the XXX model become regularly available in the US. Prior to that, they were generally only sold in Japan. Up until about a year or two ago, the XXX was the only model made in Vietnam. That uke you got wasn't necessarily a protype, but it was one of the original "try it in the US to see how it goes" ukuleles. Previously I used a distributor who didn't really feel confident the US market would be willing to pay $600 or $700 and up for a non-Hawaii, Asian-made ukulele. I guess you proved us wrong!

About a year and half ago I switched all my production to the Vietnam factory. The quality of theirs over my other place was just too good to ignore. (someday I'll discuss the other factory... some other makers still use them...).

But the line was still only available in Japan. My theory was to build the line's quality control to a high-enough standard that it would gain the Japanese seal of approval for quality- which is VERY hard to do for non-Hawaii made instruments. I also felt the US market still wasn't quite ready for a $350 solid koa soprano not made in Hawaii when they could find solid koa Hawaii made ukes for under $300. the quality of the <$300 made in hawaii uke is another story altogether, but that was the excuse I heard time and time again from dealers in Hawaii. "Why should we buy a more expensive, made in Asia uke, when I can get a ----- for less" I would admantly say, "QUALITY" ...

Anyway, in 2008, after selling pretty much everything I supplied to Japan with very few returns, I felt my quality was more than good enough for the US market and the price point was reasonable enough that the customer would want to buy it. Supply a high-quality product at an affordable price, and there shouldn't be any problems, as they say in business. well, I guess it proving itself to be true with this line of ukes. So I had my big debut at the winter NAMM show in Anaheim this past Jan 2009 and ukes have been flying out the doors since! good thing I have a ton of koa in Vietnam curing and waitng to be made into an uke!

In a future post I will discuss what goes into the inspection process of my ukes in order for it to make it out the door... it's a bit intense! but as I mentioned before, they are eager to please! BTW, as much as I try, I don't get every single one perfect every single time.

thanks for reading!

You are correct the MELE and the PONO are made outside the US.

I must say that I own three MELEs and I ahve been happy with them. Once I saw one of your HONUs, the first thing I noticed was the quality. I had high standareds from my MELE and the HONU line matches everything about my MELE. I do plan on purchasing a HONU eventually after I get my KoAloha. THe HONU is well worth the price.

With all due respect - they look like they are beautifully crafted.

But that turtle shaped saddle . . .

I have this vision of Seinfeld playing it while wearing the white shirt with the puffy sleeves . . .

That saddle was the main reason I bought the Honu. I love sea turtles. I guess it is a polarizing design, but that makes it unique.

That saddle was the main reason I bought the Honu. I love sea turtles. I guess it is a polarizing design, but that makes it unique.

Yes - to each his/her own. No disrespect intended.

My sister who lives in Hollywood has a Honu - she loves all things turtle.

For me . . . it's a little too smurfalele.

p.s. Love your William King spruce top tenor.

Last edited:
With all due respect - they look like they are beautifully crafted.

But that turtle shaped saddle . . .

I have this vision of Seinfeld playing it while wearing the white shirt with the puffy sleeves . . .

I was seriously considering the Honu XXX when I was looking for a real nice soprano - but the turtle bridge was too much of a turn-off for me, too. I have a Kanile'a that I love now, but the Honus sure are pretty - less the silly saddle. I just think it takes a classy looking uke and makes it kitschy instead. Reminds me of the Makala dolphin...

well, there are also honu's without the turtle bridge, the less expensive ones. I have had a traditional soprano honu for a week now and it sounds amazing:D I am more concerned about sound so since the higher end models are mostly nicer looks, I decided to get a more simple one which still has the same sound.

The other 2 models don't have the turtle saddle. If I were going to ride a turtle I would use a turtle saddle.Yeah...good one.;)

I like the turtle. I'm of two minds about the headstock. Is the only real difference between the lines bling-factor? They should all sound as sweet as a baby sea turtle, no?

The traditional model has a rosewood fingerboard and the koa aint so curly. Its still way beautiful and sounds oh so good. Oh and the finish is high quality on all. The choice is yours and you can't go wrong. Extra crispy or original recipe. Hmm,yummy.:love:

Don't dis da honu, I love da honu! ;)
The Mele are made in the Philippines but set up on Maui. I used to live Maui before moving back the Oahu in late 2007 and visited the Mele store regularly to buy strings, gig bags, and just admire the quality ukuleles on display. Several of my friends own Meles and they love them. Allot of working class blue collar locals cannot afford a Kamaka so when Mele openned there doors it was a blessing for us to be able to afford a quality koa wood great sounding ukulele. I own a koa Mele concert pineapple that looks and sounds beautiful, and will keep me happy until I can one day afford a Kamaka, but if that day never comes I won't feel deprived playing my Mele. :D
I'm happy ukuleles like Honu are here as an option for affordable koa ukuleles.

Top Bottom