Hideous Strap Button - what’s a girl to do??

TBB

TheBathBird
UU VIP
Reaction score
The only thing I don’t absolutely love about my new little Kamaka pineapple is that it’s got the world’s ugliest, white-plastic strap button screwed into its adorable little derrière. I don’t use a strap but I don’t mind having a button on the uke - just not THIS button.

I’ve seen posts asking for advice on where to buy small wooden buttons, people mainly seem to recommend stewmac options, but I find it quite hard to gauge what size the buttons they’re selling actually are.

I’ve also read suggestions on here about removing the button and putting beeswax (I think) into the hole that’s left behind.

I’m trapped in a cycle of terminal indecision, please help.

IMG_2208.jpeg

Oh yea that's got to GO!!!!!!!

Just remove it, you don't have to fill the hole of you don't want to but any wax will do

Wow, I don't blame you, that's gaudy. Let us know how you end up fixing this to look good. :)

Since you don't need it, remove it and see what's left behind; the hole could be almost invisible if centered on that black binding. The kala travel uke below hasn't had a button in years... no fill, no fuss.
image000000 (4).jpg

Last edited:
I totally understand your situation. I had 3 or 4 ukes that I was happy with other than one small aspect and even if I tried I couldn't ignore it, my attention would be drawn to that negative aspect every time I picked it up. On one I was able to change what bothered me and on all of the others I eventually ended up selling them. That strap button would bother me too, it just doesn't look right. Anything would have looked better than that - silver, black, gold or wood. As far as taking it out and leaving a hole (filled or not) that would just be another thing I wouldn't like that I couldn't ignore.

Size-wise there are some strap buttons that are bigger than others but I don't think there are smaller buttons made specifically for ukes or other small instruments, they are all pretty much the same. When I was in the market I seem to remember some places charging quite a lot for that little accessory which I balked at so I did a lot of shopping. Good luck with your journey and I think you're right in wanting to make the change.

Last edited:
The only thing I don’t absolutely love about my new little Kamaka pineapple is that it’s got the world’s ugliest, white-plastic strap button screwed into its adorable little derrière. I don’t use a strap but I don’t mind having a button on the uke - just not THIS button.

I’ve seen posts asking for advice on where to buy small wooden buttons, people mainly seem to recommend stewmac options, but I find it quite hard to gauge what size the buttons they’re selling actually are.

I’ve also read suggestions on here about removing the button and putting beeswax (I think) into the hole that’s left behind.

I’m trapped in a cycle of terminal indecision, please help.

View attachment 166597
Oh, dear!
That's very disappointing-- for you, of course, but also to know that someone(s) would make such a decision.

I hope you find an alternative you are pleased with, soon.

(Beeswax would plug the hole, but also not be the long-term solution you and this instrument deserve-- even before it attracts fuzz and dirt over time...)

~S.

Honestly? Get over it 🙃😝

This would look much better.

Uke strap buttons Amazon

On an instrument that nice it might be worth investigating having luthier plug the hole for you.

Reactions: TBB
Gotohs are a touch smaller than those long river buttons at 12.5 mm in diameter, same 9 mm height.

Thanks guys, I guess I’ll start by actually taking it off (not quite sure why it’s taken me so long to do that 🤣) and see what I’m left with in the way of a hole. A replacement strap button might be the easiest solution if the hole bugs me. I’d be happy with something like the one @engravertom linked to, but none of the buttons I’ve seen for sale in the UK have been as nice as that one.

Honestly? Get over it 🙃😝
Well if I had to get over it I would, but luckily I have a couple of other options!

Out if curiosity, I just did a quick search for "small decorative hole plug" and it looks like there might be a suitable solution along those lines, if only a stopgap (heh)-- embellished or plain, metal or synthetic.

Totally unsure of sizing/fit potential, but perhaps even friction (and/or a baffle, if synthetic) would work if you get close enough.

~ S.

Unscrew it & replace with a beautiful matching wooden button from Waverly. If the Waverly screw is larger than the screw hole, no problem. If it’s smaller, you’ll need to fill the hole first, then screw in the new one after the filler is dry. You could ask a luthier on the forums what to use for filler.

Out if curiosity, I just did a quick search for "small decorative hole plug" and it looks like there might be a suitable solution along those lines, if only a stopgap (heh)-- embellished or plain, metal or synthetic.

Totally unsure of sizing/fit potential, but perhaps even friction (and/or a baffle, if synthetic) would work if you get close enough.

~ S.
Thank you, Spieler!

I’ve removed the button and ended up with a small hole which, as @badhabits predicted, is practically invisible. I might look into filling it at some point, but now that the white monstrosity has gone I’ll probably forget it’s even there!

IMG_2218.jpeg

Unscrew it & replace with a beautiful matching wooden button from Waverly. If the Waverly screw is larger than the screw hole, no problem. If it’s smaller, you’ll need to fill the hole first, then screw in the new one after the filler is dry. You could ask a luthier on the forums what to use for filler.
Ah, is it Waverly who make those pretty little wooden buttons? I’ve never been able to find them for sale, maybe I’m just not looking in the right places. My Wunderkammer Ike has the sweetest little wooden strap button, I’d be more than happy to have one of those if I could only find one to buy!

Thank you, Spieler!

I’ve removed the button and ended up with a small hole which, as @badhabits predicted, is practically invisible. I might look into filling it at some point, but now that the white monstrosity has gone I’ll probably forget it’s even there!

View attachment 166609
Great! It looks much better now, and if (by contrast!) you can live with it, that’s a win!

Top Bottom